PDA

View Full Version : Mag Hytec - G80

Dmax Cutter
04-09-2002, 22:02
Just installed my Mag Hytec cover and I am running into a bit of a conflict.
The data that I have pulled up on the search is that it should take 8 qts. Being real careful, it looks like 7 qts is enough but I don't want to run over or under. Can I have some reassurance from those of you using it that one or the other is correct. Thanks a bunch
2002 D/A, 4x4 (decals removed), X-Cab, SB, white with tan leather – LT, OnStar, Line-X, color match flares, escalade door handles, custom (cab only) boards,K&N filter, Tekonsha Prodigy, Husky floor mats, 893 bulbs in factory fog lights, Kennedy light kit, fumoto valve, Mag-Hytec diff cover, Bully tailgate lock, TorkLift camper tie downs

wangotango
04-09-2002, 22:59
dmaxcutter:

I have installed same.

Used enough lube to show proper level on dipstick.

Then I drove down street to an area where I could do some "Y" turns to work it in. Did a few figure 8's as well.

Got kinda dizzy.

Drove home. Slept on sofa for an hour.

On level surface: re-checked fluid level.

Relax, you'll be fine.

have fun ...w/t

mdrag
04-10-2002, 00:38
Dmax Cutter,

I noticed that as well - mine took 7 qts after the Mag-Hytec install. Don't know why the 8 qts is mentioned.

sonofagun
04-10-2002, 08:24
dmax Cutter,

They built a quality cover but didn't get it all right -- notice the drain hole, when the DMAX already has one. The 8 qt. requirement is wrong. They initially said to add limited slip additive until I told them it was a locker and didn't need it (duh).Your fine. Just check the dipstick.

Bob

hjd3021
04-10-2002, 08:28
I installed the same unit about 6 weeks ago. I had read the forum data previously so I was surprised when mine took almost a full 8 quarts to get the level right up toward the top of the normal range. 7 quarts had the level just below the bottom of the range on the dipstick with it fully seated so I decided to put more in. I wonder why the variance. I have the locker.

Chris N5CWM
04-16-2002, 02:51
The Eaton positive-locking differential is both
a limited slip (clutches) and a locker. Check out
the Eaton website. There's a lot of cool info and
pics, along with some video's of them in action.
It's the best thing out there short of the ARB
Air Locker.

As for the need for Limited Slip Additive, there
is enough residual from the factory fill so no
more is required. Also most synthetic axle lubes
either have some in them or by nature of the lube
none is needed. smile.gif

-Chris

cogburne
04-16-2002, 16:24
A diff can not be both a locking and a limited slip. I think you are saying that a limited slip is simply the clutches. That is not correct as both types have clutches. The diff in the GM is Eaton's G80 locking diff. Locking diffs use the difference in rear wheel speeds to engage vs Input Torque for a limited slip...

The locker requires NO limited slip additive and is not filled with ANY at the factory as none is needed or recommended...

www.traction.eaton.com/images/G80.mov