PDA

View Full Version : Leaky differiential

Jimamatic
04-10-2002, 23:18
Was looking under my truck today and to my suprise
I saw a little ring of oil around were the diff
plate bolts to the diff housing. It's just starting to migrate from the seal all the way
around the housing. I then noticed it's doing the
same thing were the drive line enters into the
housing.eeeerrrrrgggggg!!! I had the diff lube
changed two months ago at Jiffy Lube. They used
Penn 75w-90w GL5S Synthetic gear oil. With only
3800+ miles on my truck, I'm more than a little
hacked. Any ideas? Would over filling do this?

-------------------------------

2001 2500hd cc sb D/A

wangotango
04-10-2002, 23:52
Pardon my abruptness but...Jiffy Lube?

What is fluid level now?

w/t

Jimamatic
04-11-2002, 01:52
Hey W/T
Don't let the name fool ya! Those guys change
oil and fluids all day long and for a good price.
I'd rather let someone else do the dirty work
for a change. In fact, I trust them more than a
dealership. Wal Mart is the same way, good service
for a good price. I'm going to check the level
tomorrow. I can't imagine that over filling
would cause it to start migrating out. But,
I'm not an expert. That's why I'm asking you guys
on the forum. Are there some diffs that tend to
leak a little? Could putting the wrong oil in
cause it to leak? Have'nt had a chance to breakin
with a load yet. Just trying for ideas before I
take it in under warranty and get the standard
"Oh, that's normal" reply....

mackin
04-11-2002, 06:01
Jimamatic,

Sounds kinda strange. Improper fluid viscosity I do not believe would cause it. What rear do you have? Is it the Eaton locker? I even think that if it was over filled you wouldn't see it pushing thru a gasket. With the extra fluid you would notice a wetter then normal vent tube....Noise like a humming perhaps. I'm thinking they started to remove Differential cover or did instead of using drain plug.... Just maybe you have a bad yoke (pinion) seal. Or something on the road splashed up their. Nevertheless clean every thing up with some kinda degreaser and check your level, and keep an eye on it... Hold on to that receipt from the Lube joint.....If it persist I would go to the dealer and have it repaired don't mention lube joint unless they "ask" tell them.......If they discover fault on the lube joint then make them honor their screw up......If you have the ways and means to do it yourself ,do it yourself you'll no its done right...No second guessing.?
MAC :D :D

1BADDMAX
04-11-2002, 08:19
I had to take my truck in for an axle seal and pinion seal leak.

sonofagun
04-11-2002, 10:05
mackin said it right.
My truck had an axle seal leak. It was fixed under warranty.

Good luck,
Bob

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

mdrag
04-11-2002, 11:32
IIRC, the correct diff fluid level for the 2500HD/3500 is at or slightly below the fill hole - you'd have to move pretty fast to get it overfilled by any sigificant amount... :D Unless you have the Mag-Hytec cover...

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

Jimamatic
04-11-2002, 11:56
Thanks Makin..
I do have the locker diff. Thing is huge.
I'll try cleaning it up and watch it. I still have
plenty of warranty left so if it gets worse, I
won't hesitate to take it in. It's just frustrating to even have to think about on a new
truck. But that's the way she goes. Thanks for
letting me vent, and thanks for the advice.

wangotango
04-12-2002, 00:24
Jimamatic:
I always have a hard time imagining kids working on my cars. I know that there are reputable dive-thru lube places out there. Otherwise there wouldn't be any out there.

I am an elevator mechanic by trade (24 yrs now) and try to take time to do it right the first time. Otherwise I'm getting a late night call at a hospital or other building with an elevator or escalator that I didn't fix right. Normally it's right in the middle of something like trying to sleep or dinner.

If one of these kids don't quite torque something down right or really pay attention to something that YOU would have taken a closer look at then so what. They'll just go somewhere else and work there for awhile. They are not real concerned that you just paid almost $40 large for this truck. They're worried about concert tickets, finding someone to buy them beer, putting goofy mufflers on their Honda's, and trying to get laid. It's part of being a kid.

On the other hand...I'll lay under my truck and stare at something I just did or am going to do for a ridiculous amount of time to be sure I'm going down the right road. Normally to the point of having the wife yell at me to "leave that damn truck alone, GM's a big outfit, they know what they're doing!"

So I suppose any extreme is as good as the next.

I hope things work out for you.
Someone here has probably seen this before.

By the way, did you get fries with that?

w/t

Turbo Al
04-12-2002, 09:59
If it's leaking around the bolts then Jiffy took the cover off instead of using the drain hole -- speaks volumes about them. I don't care if they do this kind of work all day long my truck will never go any where near them.
Mine does leak (damp) around the cover as well -- because I did take the cover off just to check out the diff at 500 miles, the gasket did split in two. Mine also leaked when new at the pinion/driveshaft conection -- stopped on it's own.

et
04-12-2002, 10:50
When I replaced the factory differential cover with the Mag-Hytec, I noticed a leak in the upper right side near a bolt hole. The paper gasket was leaking. Not a bad leak, but leaking just the same. That was at about the 5000 mile mark. No one had previoulsy touched the differential.

No leaks in the last 3500 miles with the Mag-Hytec. Great product.

mackin
04-12-2002, 11:41
wangotango,

I All I can say is WELL SAID !!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif smile.gif
MAC :D :D
Tis the Truth.........

csimo
04-12-2002, 14:47
I had my third pinion seal installed today. I hope this fixes the leak... finally!

Jimamatic
04-12-2002, 16:26
Hey W/T
Ya, I can see your point. The places around here
seem to be pretty reputable, but I guess there's
always that chance when you let someone else
work on your rig. Thanks for all the replies.
Got some good info. I checked my differential
oil yesterday and and it was right on the mark
at the filler hole. Don't think they tried taking
the back plate off as the oil just shows damp
(well put Turbo Al) around the gasket ranging
from 1/2 to 1" on the pumkin. The pinion shows just enough to notice if you look at it. I'll see
if it gets worse. Think after I break in with a
load, I'll change it myself. Problem is I don't
have a pump bucket. That's the only way I've seen
it done. How do you guys do it? They put Penn
GL5S 75w-90w in. Don't know if it's good or bad.
Would appreciate any suggestions on next change.
Did suprise me that the synthetic stinks just as
bad as the normal stuff. Anyway, thanks again for the help.....

odoh
04-12-2002, 18:17
I know some diff lubes comes w/pump and container. Autoparts houses also have the cheap almost disposable pumps avail also. Shouldn't be a problem when you get ready to do it next time. ~ odoh

Hoss
04-12-2002, 18:39
My pinion was leaking as well.... had the seal changed, took off from the dealer and every time I let off the throttle the rear end would whine like he**. Took it straight back and they tightened the pinion nut some more... noise went away. Still am a little weary of it, cause when I asked the tech what the torque specs where he said tight as you can get it... and then some. Anyone know the proper torque specs so I can check it?? TIA

mattb5150
04-27-2002, 10:06
After reading this string of posts I went out and looked at my 02 2500HD. It is leaking from the pinion and the rearcover, very lightly like migrating no drips. What do you guys think of this? I was just going to the GMC dealer in town to make an appointment to have this fixed and have the 2 to 1 shift reprogram done. I had 2 '93 6.5's and they both started leaking from the pinion after about 150K miles not 12K like this truck. Don't want an unecessary work done to my truck.

Matt B.

Hoss
04-27-2002, 12:36
Well, gotta take it back in.... seal is leaking again. Gonna make them order a new spline this time too. Aggravating! No major leak, just enough seepage to dampen the rear diff. Will let ya'll know what they find and if they get it fixed. Anyone know the torque specs for the pinion nut??