PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads - PFZ's?

mdadgar
04-10-2002, 23:40
I'm not thrilled with the braking performance of my D/Max (too many years in sports cars, I guess). Given that it's a 7000 lb vehicle, I'm not looking for Porsche-level brakes, but something a little more confidence-inspiring than the stock setup would be good. A little better brake feel wouldn't hurt, either.

Anyone tried alternate brake pads? I've seen the PF-Z's mentioned as coming in the right size. Anyone tried those? Other options?

Brake dust and noise is not an issue for me. Stopping performance is.

Thanks.

- Mark
'02 Sierra CC D/A 4x4 SB
Spec Miata

Kennedy
04-11-2002, 08:16
The one thing most people misunderstand, is that the super hard metallic pads are not the best in stopping power. They do hold up well, and resist fade, but the sofeter pads stop much better. The trick is to find a balance in between.

I haven't researched the interchange yet, and the new master cylinder does seem pretty good, but with the older style trucks, I would swap out the master cylinder and the linings. Now I cannot stand to drive any other truck of the same era as the brakes flat out suck!

mdrag
04-11-2002, 11:43
I've been pleased with the braking performance on my '01 3500 so far - maybe my expectations are too low. Much improved over my previous '92 Suburban...

mdadgar
04-11-2002, 11:47
Let me explain what I don't like about the brakes:

Initial bite is good. But increased pressure does not result in a proportionate decrease in vehicle speed. It's almost like brake fade, but on a much less alarming level. ;)

I was thing that a little more aggressive brake pad would be the thing. Something with a slightly higher operating temperature range.

- Mark
'02 Sierra 2500HD D/A CC 4x4 SB

Kennedy
04-11-2002, 12:05
I think the aggressive thing is correct, and I agree on the feel. I think the OE pads are actually too hard though...

Try Car Quest Gold or Raybestos Super Stop and Im sure you will be pleased!

mark45678
04-11-2002, 14:07
I had PFZ in my (93,98) they didnt fade like the oem and stock replacements did but you had to remind your self these pads like heat STAND ON THEM! I think and the first pad "slap "I do I will just go with PF not the Z.... I agree with JK the breaks in my 98 K2500 sucked at best stock but the 2001hd has good not great breaks!funny thing is the 93 c2500 breaks where good? why? No air and I flushed the dot 3 every year on all my cars, the stuff is cheap and rear breaks are not fun to do with a 14 bolt rear.

Hoss
04-11-2002, 15:41
I have no problems with the braking power, but the sqeaky *ss brakes are driving me nuckin futs!! Took it to the dealer... they say its normal due to the hard pads they put in. What a crock! I'll give it another month or 2, if they still squeal, they're coming out whether I have to pay for news ones or GM does! Just my pennies worth. :D

battmain
04-11-2002, 15:47
Check out...

www.carbotecheng.com

They sell all sorts of different compounds. Larry is the owner and the one to talk to if he's available. Hey, nice race car too! I run one also, but in SSB. Ever seen a Miata give a V8 Camaro h*ll at some tracks? :D

FWIW, The difference in the pads is the frition material. The hard pads may have a higher friction material, but may not stop as well when they're cold. However when hot, look in the rear view first. With the different compounds, there is a fine line of what you like/dislike, but it also depends on your braking style.

Brian

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: battmain ]</p>

TLA
04-11-2002, 18:22
I have PF-Z's on my '97 Crew Cab Dually. I put them on because I was having too much brake fade on long hills while pulling a trailer. They are great at resisting the fade, BUT - the first stop of the day leaves me wondering if we will. They really need to be heated up to work well. I have some regular PF's, and really need to change to them. Seems it's always a compromise. I would trust John's recommendations, as they come from personal experience. I haven't been able to get the 2002 brakes hot enough to feel I need a different pad (yet), but will take his advice when I change them.

mackin
04-11-2002, 19:42
Hoss,

How many miles do you have? Mine squeaked (rear) every friggen time you applied the breaks, light or hard..Man I friggen hated it.....I posted it here once no response. I thought it was just me suffering. My Vet. use to do it too (front)...I too was ready to bring it in for service I was so rippen. Well, anyway it went away at about 10,000 miles...Haven't heard them squeak in a while. Had a few panic Halts not my fault couple buttheads cutting me off,ABS works.....I use to also spend maybe a little to much time washing the inner rear wheel off of brake dust. I don't do it as much now. Is it Related, not sure. Good luck.
MAC smile.gif

HD1
04-11-2002, 20:00
What about changing the fluid to a higher temperature rating??, I see on the Corvette chat board those guys are fanatics about fluid... Anyone tried with good results??. Whats up with this brake booster pump operating by the Power steering pump? I complained to my dealer about my brakes and he said "did you check your power steering fluid?" and I :rolleyes: gave him one of those looks , it was low , filled it but I didn't notice any difference either how it stered or braked. :(

imported_
04-11-2002, 21:14
My brakes seem to work very well,but I had
a Dodge before,that liked to make a hard right
turn when the brakes were applied.

AzKevin
04-11-2002, 22:19
Steel brake linings are a nice addition to sport bikes. Wonder if steel linings would help out with any of the above problems?