PDA

View Full Version : Tranny trouble codes

Boo34
11-08-2002, 18:06
Ok I posted this same questions in aanother forum. I am going for the tranny guys this time. Have 95 1 ton with the heavy duty tranny. Pulled the following trouble codes from computer:

DTC 81 - 2-3 shift soleniod circuit fault

DTC 83 - TCC PWM soleniod circuit fault

Any ideas? Is this something I can fix or do I ahve to take it in and be "loved" by the mechanics? :confused:

DmaxMaverick
11-09-2002, 01:16
Boo34

Are you having issues, or just the codes?

Many problems can cause those codes, including the listed switch/solenoid failures. In my experience (TOO much, IMO), it is usually a loose connector or corroded contacts at the connector. Take the external connectors loose, clean them and reinstall with some dielectric grease. You may have to spread the pins a little if they appear loose fitting.

Good luck. If the above doesn't help, you can do the repairs yourself. Both solenoids are accessible. If not, a tranny shop shouldn't love you too much. Pretty minor job with a good diagram.

Boo34
11-12-2002, 18:44
No issues other than this truck is starting to "nickel and dime" me to death. I have changed the 1-2, 2-3, and TCC solenoid. Still am getting code 81 and tranny is still in limp mode. Any ideas? :confused:

Tommy turbo
11-12-2002, 19:01
there is a bullitin on this problem. You are loosing power into the tranny on pin E (This is from memory) Very common on these trannys. The Ign switch drops power to the tranny fuse in the left side dash panel. You can either change the switch or power up the E terminal with a relay. (this is what we do at my shop). Check the power on both sides of fuse and then at the tranny input wires to diagnose.I can look up pin letter tommorow at shop if you need to. Anytime you get multiple codes this is the first thing to check.

Boo34
11-12-2002, 19:35
So you are in Ft Worth. I work at Alliance Airport.

When I changed the solenoids code 83 went away. Still getting code 81 and the tranny is still in "limp" mode. I have been told that the grounds and connectors might be the problem. So now I am going over this.

Boo34
11-12-2002, 20:18
Question for Tommy Turbo. How do yo change the switch? Is it in the column? I have checked all the grounds and harnesses. All seem to be clean. I am at my wits end. Any ideas?