PDA

View Full Version : Cleansing Engine Oil, Block & Cooler

StephenA
09-27-2003, 17:36
Is anyone familiar with the practice of draining all of the oil from the engine, & then filling it with a half & half mixture of 30W & diesel, idling the engine for 5 minutes & then draining again and filling with synthetic & new filter? A mechanic did this to one of my former power strokes and said it really gets the sludge out.
Anyone know if there is any damage potential to the 6.5? Is half & half to thin or thick to do the job?
I'm about to refit my oil filter adapter with new gaskets/seals, and since I have to dump all the oil, I thought I might really clean it out & then switch to Amsoil with the bypass filter set up... Comments?
Thanks, Stephen

richard7
09-28-2003, 07:49
Please use an engine flush from an auto parts store (or the Amsoil engine flush if avalaible to you).

Half and half with diesel is from another time and space. :rolleyes:

You can do the engine flush 2 times if the engine is highly contaminated with varnish/carbon and sticking lifters.

After the flush, it is good to put new (cheap) oil and run the engine briefly and drain the oil again, to remove the remaining mixed oil that stayed in the oil lines and cooler and other spots.

You have than a clean engine to start a synthetic oil/by-pass filter combinaison that will keep your oil clean a long time before even getting black.

StephenA
09-28-2003, 10:23
Thanks tons!
Stephen