PDA

View Full Version : Change your T-case oil !

Toddster
11-08-2002, 19:11
Don't wait 5,000 miles like I did ! Did my second Mobil 1 oil change tonight @ 5,000 miles (did the first @ 1,000 along with the diff) OK so I'm ANAL....Anyway, I gave the Alli the full synthetic treatment and filter change (Alli oil looked great) and droped the T-case oil. I pulled the bucket from under the truck and marveled at the beautiful burgundy metallic liquid......I wanted to load it in my spray gun and throw a quickie on my neighbors de-laminated 89 3500 GMC ! Then I realized this $hit wuz i9n my $44,000 transfer case ! Change it !

Idle_Chatter
11-09-2002, 15:49
I can't disagree on the need to change it, Toddster, but I changed mine for the first time last Sunday (at 36,000 miles) and had metallic flakes in mostly clear Dexron that sounds a lot like yours. I think the chain and sprockets in the transfer case just do that. I _am_ a lot happier knowing that I've finally got some clean Amsoil 3000 synthetic ATF in there, as I had been putting off and not getting around to changing that fluid for some time. Being a chain and sprocket system, there's not much precision or surface concern, only corrupting and leaking a seal.

Stove
11-09-2002, 16:57
Fellas, how much fluid for t-case change??

Idle_Chatter
11-10-2002, 08:22
Stove, I was using a hose-connection cap to squeeze the ATF in out of a quart bottle that I was refilling out of a 2-1/2 gallon jug of Amsoil, so I can't be certain. Seems like it took just over 2 quarts before I got overflow from the fill hole. I also used a little Permatex teflon paste on the threads of the aluminum/magnesium fill and drain plugs. That way I'm happy with them being snug and tight. You don't want to overtighten and round off those suckers. They are super light and seem soft.

jbplock
11-10-2002, 08:33
Toddster & Tom,

How much do you use your 4WD? I don't use mine very mucch but I like to have it when I need it. Just wondering if the metal in the fluid would show up with or without 4WD use.

Toddster
11-10-2002, 08:50
Chatter, how did you get the tranny fliud in the T-case ? What a pain in the A$$. I used a Turkey baster with a 6 inch piece of 5/16 vacuum hose on the end. Stove, I have heard several different answers to quanity, mine took exactly 2 quarts.

mackin
11-10-2002, 10:06
Toddster

Use a old cleaned out gear lube bottle with the small hole hose connecting cap .....If it won't fit on tranny quart container.....I think that is what Idle uses too.....

MAC

Turkey baster ...Gheesh my wife would throw a fit...... ;)

Idle_Chatter
11-10-2002, 12:45
I bought a plastic funnel a couple of years ago at a car parts place i can't remember (Autozone?) It has a screw-on shutoff valve assembly that has a nipple that will take 3/8" tubing. The shutoff valve can be unscrewed from the funnel and screwed onto oil bottles. I put a piece of tubing about 18" long on it, screwed it onto a quart Amsoil ATF bottle full of fluid, fed the tube up and over the transfer case from behind and into the fill hole. Then I raised the bottle up against the cab floor and held it there and squeezed the fluid down and forward into the case. I could also rest my arm and the bottle against the top of the driveshaft. Used the same technique for filling the rear diff and filled the front diff from above the driver's side tire. The screw-on valve also fit on the 2-1/2 gallon Amsoil jug when I refilled the tranny! Best part is that I carry the funnel/valve in my truck with a gallon jug of Rotella-T. When I need a pint or so of oil to top her up at a fuel stop, the funnel goes in the oil fill tube turned off, it has measuring marks, so I fill it where I want from the gallon jug, turn it "on" and go put the jug back in the bed. By the time I come back, the funnel is ready to be turned off and removed. One of the best little auto-service-dooleys that I've ever bought!

EIS01
11-10-2002, 14:49
Change that fluid, mine was the same way. Not real pretty, and I push snow in the winter. Could not stand the thought of all that metal flakes in there, when I am working it that hard! Where did it all come from? It is almost like the flakes in the oil from the rear, when I drained it? :confused: Drained and installed Mobil 1 ;)

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: EIS01 ]</p>

Diesel_Lawyer
11-10-2002, 16:31
Where are fill and drain holes on transfer case? (I have 2002 D/A crew cab.)

Do I have to remove skid plate?

Thanks for the info

glamisboy
11-10-2002, 18:07
Hey fellas, I don't disagree with changing the fluids. Is it possible the "metal" flakes is actually assembly lube or likeness that the factory may add when assembling the unit ??? Just a thought.

Idle_Chatter
11-11-2002, 08:55
Diesel_Lawyer, no skidplate removal required. The fill and drain plugs are the hex-head plugs on the front of the transfer case, one near the bottom and one about 3/4 of the way up. The transfer case is magnesium and these plugs are either aluminum or magnesium also (feather-light!) There will be white oxide buildup in the exposed threads. I wire-brushed mine, put a little Permatex teflon paste in the threads and reinstalled to about 20-25 lb-ft.

Jbplock, I did some "break-in" 4-wheeling last year in the first 500 miles to get the front diff broken-in. I've also done some winter and mud 4-wheeling, including a 1,500 mile round trip to upper Michigan in 4-wheel all the way. The transfer case is a multi-row chain on sprockets, I believe the bearings are sealed so there's no real precision wear surfaces to be concerned about, only shaft seals.

Diesel_Lawyer
11-11-2002, 19:39
Idle:

Thanks for the reply, will be changing my t-case fluid this weekend.

jbplock
11-12-2002, 06:44
Thanks Tom! I will be changing mine over to AMSOIL soon.

Brian W. Littleton
11-12-2002, 12:59
Better check on Amsoil for 2003 TRansfer case on GMC/Chevy 4x4 Suburban 8.1 L85 trans.
They could not cross over the new fluid GM lists and suggested I don't change it.

typecast
11-12-2002, 13:42
Do you have some kind of male-type hex head socket that you use on those hex type filler plugs? I don't recall seeing those at the tool stores I've been to and have wondered how you get those off.

On the rear diff plug I found the end of my 3/8 extension fit the plug just right. Assuming this is by design, but is there a special socket mechanics use for this also?

Thanks for help with my newbie ???s.

Galen

Toddster
11-12-2002, 16:14
Chatter, my drain and fill plugs were in the back of my transfer case.....Or did I have toooo many beers in the garage last Friday ?

Idle_Chatter
11-12-2002, 20:43
I don't think we're losing our minds, Toddster. As I recall, there are two transfer cases used in the Dmaxes (Auburn and ?) I see that you have a GMC, so maybe you've got a different "flavor" than us Bowtie Boys. There was also some disparity on the type/location of the fill/drains on the rear diffs that I recall. Could also be a GMC/Chevy thang!

Typecast, the fill and drain on my transfer case were male hex heads, 18mm I think. Rear diff drain is a 3/8" square hole (socket or extension works fine) and my fill was a 15mm male hex bolt/plug.

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: Idle_Chatter ]</p>