PDA

View Full Version : Dealer needs a clue.

Doubleclutch
11-10-2002, 12:21
Hi guys. My buddy has an 03 d-max with allison and only about 1200 miles on it First tow with a 5K trailer was a major disappointment. Couldn't maintain 55mph with WO throttle on MILD grade. Small town dealer agrees it doesn't seem right... but can't find any fault codes or discrepencies with computer. With an extended warantee, Craig followed dealers corrective advice... reload trailer to get tongue weight down to 500# (from 800#), and try again. Even a Dodge owner smile.gif know this isn't right. Can you give my unhappy bud some ideas for the dealer?

Doubleclutch
11-11-2002, 17:41
Hey guys- even my little six banger can do better than that!!! No ideas? :confused:

mackin
11-11-2002, 20:32
Doubleclutch

Same guy from GM-Diesel??California??? Cowboy???

He has to put some miles on the clock.......How is it empty??Have the dealer take your buddy for a ride in a duplicate truck....It's probably just real tight...With a 5k trailer in tow he should have to look in mirror to see if it flew off some where......Still not satisfied by a box and smoke the hides.....

MAC :D

chagburg
11-11-2002, 20:47
I have a 2002 with 2700 miles on it. I also thought mine did not pull well when towing. I thought the power was low but the dealer said everything was ok so I had it dynoed and it showed 170hp at the rear wheels.

FisHn2DMax
11-12-2002, 02:30
I thought my new 03 DMax was acting really tight with only 1300 miles on it until I pulled my 9000lb 5er last weekend up 6% grade for 5 miles at 65MPH! Could have gone faster, but can't afford a ticket. My 99 Fo$D SD POS would only pull this same trailer and grade at 50-55 mph.

Something is wrong with your "bud's" Dmax! Go to another dealer or have his dealer call GM tech support. This isn't a matter of the engine being too tight, it's got a problem; then again, your in California and it probably has the new EGR system? Even with the new EGR system,he should have more power than what you're reporting.

Keep us informed as to what you guys find?

Good Luck
:D

schnier
11-12-2002, 05:48
I just pulled a 9,000 lb fifth wheel up Jelico Mtn Tenn. at 70mph no problem, 5% grade. The guy has a major problem with his D-max. Have another dealer check it out if the first one can not find a problem.

srubrn
11-12-2002, 06:02
Believe this or not but at 6500 miles my truck all of a sudden had more power and the factory governed speed went from 3200 to 3400RPM. I mean I knew when it happened I thought something was wrong but it has been running strong ever since that day. It was like the computer said "alright now I'm broke in, let's give this truck it's full power now".

Give your truck a little time and see. You gotta a long time before your warranty goes out.

Doubleclutch
11-12-2002, 10:33
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you. Different brands but same folk!
mackin- yep.
Greg

chagburg
11-12-2002, 12:56
Doubleclutch, if you haven't seen it yet check out duramax low power under duramax 6600.

Doubleclutch
11-27-2002, 18:04
Good point chagburg, that's probably the formum where this belongs. ANYWAY, update- after reloading trailer, same performance noted. Dealer said "lets strap that trailer to a new truck on the lot".. Guess what- same performance. I'm begining to think that those blinking computers are taking over! Probably has a self protect mode while engine/tranny is breaking in. Thanks for all your help. I'm forewarding all this input to the owner.
Greg

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: Doubleclutch ]</p>

mrwolf
12-19-2002, 11:40
Have your dealer look at the gas pedal. There's been some '03 pedals that don't hit WOT until their mashed into the carpet. Also check the fuel filter and injectors, some technicians have seen contaminated diesel fuel