PDA

View Full Version : Want to install High Idle...need info

Diesel Dave
04-12-2002, 22:16
HI! from Canada. I want to install a high idle switch this weekend & would like to get some info on where to find the ECM. box etc. I would also like to know any tricks that would make the job easier / quicker.

Thanks in advance for any help.
:confused: D.D.

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Diesel Dave ]

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Diesel Dave ]</p>

Maverick
04-13-2002, 00:08
E-mail DSLPOWER here: hodgesben@msn.com
He will send you back some directions.

If you type "high idle" into the search feature I come up with about 50 threads on this subject.

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

mdrag
04-13-2002, 09:18
Diesel Dave,

From a previous post/instructions (one of MANY):

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002567

THE MANUAL STATES TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANY WORK ON THE ECM!!!!
---------------------------------------------

Found the ECM after looking through the Helms manuals for about 30 minutes. For those of us who are DMAX challenged, the ECM is located at the front of the engine compartment on the driver's side (DS), just to the left of the battery and lower than the battery (left/right defined as standing in front of the truck and looking into the engine bay).

The black plastic cover comes off by releasing two tabs, one near the top edge of the cover located rearward, and the second is on the front lower edge which is hard to get to (and see). I released the top rearward tab first by reaching between the battery and the radiator hose, and pressing very hard. The front lower tab then released easily. The ECM plastic cover is a tight fit, but will come out with some slight bending. There was one plastic wire loom clip attached to the cover which needs to be released so the cover can be removed.

You will then be able to see the two 80 pin connectors. The BLUE connector faces the passenger side (PS) of the truck (BLUE is marked on that side of the ECM). The connectors themselves ARE NOT BLUE or RED in color - at least on my truck. There is a small RED area on the top of the DS connector, so I assume this is the RED one. I could not see the other end of the PS connector to verify a BLUE mark on it - but as stated above the ECM case is marked BLUE on that side.

There is a small bolt in the middle of each of the connectors which appears to hold the connectors to the ECM.

As suggested by Maverick, try a search of the forums, you'll find plenty. :D