PDA

View Full Version : Torsion bar lift?

bam540
04-13-2002, 06:59
I want to get rid of the factory nose dive stance on my 2500HD. Ive already cranked the torsion bars up almost two inches, and can feel the stiffer ride. Ive heard of a kit that replaces the factory torsion bar adjusters and gives you two inches of lift without having to "crank" up the bars. I cant find out any other information about this kit. Ive heard that a company called Hills 4 wheel drive makes these kits, but agian, I cant find out any more than that. If any body out there has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

NickLeinonen
04-13-2002, 07:21
there web site is "http://www.superswamper.com"

the thing you are looking for is right on their main home page second item down from the top

big dipper
04-13-2002, 08:04
http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com/main.htm

I spoke with them and the way I understand it is:

The leveling kit which is the "cam" or "key" that the torsion bar is adjusted with (crossmember) is re-indexed to be able to turn the bars in without them bottoming out. If you look at the bolts, the arm of the key will hit the crossmemberafter turning them so far. As long as there is clearance there, you should not need the leveling kit. Some people have turned their bars up so much that the arm hits and this could result in arm or bolt failure which will not be good. The ride is not going to be any better with the kit, you will only have more adjustment.

From personal experience, 1 turn on the bar can put you over the edge to a harsh ride from a tolerable ride. I opted not to use them and put 5 turns on the d-side and 4 on the p-side - seems to be working fine for me!

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
04-13-2002, 12:48
Those kits are just a cheap fix for front end lift. Although they work as advertised, you'll be reaching for your wallet soon after installing it.

Even with the stock cam and hanger, turning it to the max sets the front axle angles to a point that the CV joints don't last long. You can get away with 3 or 4 turns without problems, but more than that will drain the life out of them. Its your truck and your money. Spend it now, or later. The only way to get more lift on the front end is to install a suspension lift. They are more expensive, but they are designed to maintain near stock angles.

thechevyhdman
04-14-2002, 18:56
For the guy saying that he got 2 inches out of his front end is asking for some trouble. Each turn of the torsion bar nuts equals 1/4 of an inch I assume that maybe it took 6 to 8 turns to get it that high. The one problem everyone seems to forget (besides the others) is that turning your bars more than 4 turns puts you at great risk of ripping your upper shock tower right off, because tightening your bars great reduces the topping out of your suspension, and this allows the shock to be over extended, or acts like a limiting strap and rips the ol shock tower clear off the frame. 4 turns is the max and from what I know (reccommended by a service manager) more than 4 turns is not reccommended and will be checked at any suspension related problem. What about that from lift from fabtech or some company that just replaces your upper and lower control arms, it looks pretty easy to do and is the least involved. Like everyone else says thats my .02 cents.