PDA

View Full Version : allison glitch?

loghauler
12-19-2004, 05:37
I purchased a used 02 and the trans flared shifting into 4th.(35k) The dealer agreed and replaced trans with a reman. Did't flare anymore but had a couple other glitches.Go to store ,shut off, come out startup, put in gear, WAIT.. The other problem is while in reverse under load when I just start to apply pressure to accelerator, the trans kicks out for a split second. Once passed that first 1/4 inch pedal travel it works fine. Only does it when warmed up.Dealer fixed the WAIT thing with adjustments but can't seem to grasp that the trans jumping out is not normal. :mad: Any ideas? Other than that the truck works great. :D

More Power
12-21-2004, 11:07
Any codes?

I'd service the transmission - new fluid, new spin-on filter and new internal filter (screen). This'll let you know if the fluid is OK and whether there might be some junk in the filters.

MP

loghauler
12-21-2004, 18:54
Dealer says no codes. Fluids and filters are fine. This to me is some sort of control problem, other than this disengageing at the same precise place in acceleration every time when warm,under a little load, this trans works flawlessly.I've been putting up with this for months as I'm tired of wasting time and patience with this particular dealer. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else had heard of such a thing. jbplock is from my area, I wonder if he has a favorite dealer that he would recommend to get a second opinion? :confused: Thanks

rtvarner
12-21-2004, 20:36
Might try the NuetralSafetyBackupSwitch (NSBU). It is located on the drivers side of transmission. If it is black, might want to replace it with newer brown colored one. Has given lots of problems. $56 at Allison dealer and fairly easy to replace.
Richard

dmaxalliTech
12-21-2004, 21:31
Seems odd that they would just 'throw' a $3500.00 transmission at it with out proper diag. Most of the issues your describing are likely control problems, not internal.

loghauler
12-22-2004, 02:10
Thanks, I'll probably try a new switch. Also will keep my ears open for a better dealer in my area that might know some more about Allison Transmissions. :rolleyes:

katjo
12-22-2004, 19:21
I have a 2500 DA and had kinda the same problem .when restarting truck after short trip,i would shift into drive. truck would idle but when you stepped on gas nothing,truck would just idle. took to dealer i got truck from,got jerked around,went to local dealer,took him a few hrs. to find problem. (replaced gas pedal), or part of the pedal, it worked.