PDA

View Full Version : parking brake/headlights on? or off?

CanadaKev
11-11-2002, 12:57
Would like to know if all the trucks are set up this way, or is this just a glitch in mine??

In other GM trucks I've owned, when you applied the parking brake while the truck is idling, the headlights went off.
In this truck when I start the truck with the brake applied, the lights stay off until I release the brake.(Which is what I would expect.)
But if the truck is running and I apply the brake the darn lights stay on!! How come??
Why would I want the lights out you ask?
Common courtesy. When waiting in a ferry line-up or stopped in a drive-thru my headlights are blinding the folks in their little cars stopped in front of me. To turn my lights off I have to shut off the engine and re-start.
:(
Am I missing something here?? :confused:

Please help me out.
Kev

chuntag95
11-11-2002, 13:17
Mine does the same thing. I saw a kit somewhere for like $90 that you can turn off the lights with a switch. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to wire one in. On the BCM is a white wire, in the middle plug, top row, second from the left (IIRC) that is the line to actuate the headlights. You might able to wire a switch in to shut them off. Just a thought.

ALLAMERICAN1
11-11-2002, 13:39
Just hit your dome over ride button 4 times and lights go out including the daytime running lights until the key is cycled on-off. You will hear a chime and then lights are operated by the conventional switch.

Allamerican1

IndigoDually
11-11-2002, 15:22
Then hitting the dome light override 4 more times will turn the system back on.

John

conradv
11-11-2002, 15:29
Or just buy a 2003 and it's built into the switch. smile.gif

chuntag95
11-11-2002, 16:57
I wonder how much the override switch will be when it get's wore slap out. :D tongue.gif

CanadaKev
11-11-2002, 18:29
Thanks for the replies guys!
Kev

conradv
11-11-2002, 19:06
I'd imagine that you could remove the switch and modify the spring to make it stay in the "off" position without springing back up to the "auto" - but if it was ever to break, I'd suppose that GM would want at least 3 figures for it...

chevmeister
11-11-2002, 22:05
Some one told me the 4 push trick doesnt work on canadian trucks. Im in the USA so I cant tell anyone one way or another.

CanadaKev
11-12-2002, 01:15
Just tried to cycle the dome over-ride switch.
Didn't work. Why wouldn't it work on Canadian trucks. Doesn't make sense :confused:
Kev

Maverick
11-12-2002, 01:29
Hey CanadaKev,
I too have an 01' Canadian spec 2500HD that was switched to US. I wondered about this also when I bought it almost a year ago. My guess is Canada wants you to be seen at all times. I also started a thread a few days ago on this:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004225

CanadaKev
11-12-2002, 01:47
Hey thanks Mav,
I missed your post on the lights. If I'd seen it than I wouldn't have started another thread on the subject here ;)
Guess I'll have to go the manual switch route :(
At least we don't have Cat's to contend with like they do down in Ca. :D :D
Kev

Lawnboy
11-12-2002, 14:34
All Canadian motor vehicles must have DRL. Its been a law up there as long as I remember. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can always tell the French Canadians on vacation on I-95 they have their lights on!

My lights are ALWAYS on for safety. If someone don't like that, its just tough!