PDA

View Full Version : Transynd

RustyRoss
12-20-2004, 07:12
How often do we need to change this stuff? I have about 60K on the synthetic and had noticed at last filter change that the color was SLIGHTLY brownish, not the BRIGHT red out of the jug.

letsgo
12-20-2004, 12:59
I have always understood that tranny fluid other than the ORIGINAL COLOR is NOT acceptable, tranny fluid also has its own smell, have a sniff, wrong smell, is your other indicator for a change, I have 160,000 miles on my car tranny that has 4 screen filters replaced and new tranny fluid and the tranny is like new so is the rest of the car for that matter.

I will change every 50,000 miles, and half of that will be towing miles.

good luck.

MAXImiser
12-23-2004, 11:45
Allison recommends regular service for Transynd as: Spin-on filter change at 50,000. Fluid and filter changed at 100,000. Great Stuff..... Enjoy!

dmaxalliTech
12-23-2004, 20:34
The Transynd is noted to take on different colors and it is not an issue. Color means absolutely nothing other then smokey burnt black. I have seen Transynd red from the bottle, yellow on the stick and orange in the pan. I have discussed the properties of it with Allison engineers and they went off on a technical tangent of why it changes colors, but the point was it didnt matter.

Service the spin on filter like you normally would and enjoy.

4diesels
12-24-2004, 14:24
GM even has a TSB out there stating that brown or black fluid, as long as it doesn't smell burnt, is normal in the Allison.

What I can't figure out is, that statement goes against everything every tranny builder in the world has been saying for the past 40-50 years. What makes the Allison the exception?

My understanding is that to change the fluids color a temperature threshold has to be exceeded. Pretty much means that if it gets to hot you turn it brown or black. In the past this meant slipping clutches or too much heat in the convertor. In a nutshell it has been the first sign of potential if not damage already done.

I for one would love to hear all about the tangent the Allison guys went off on.

carco
01-02-2005, 07:16
My shop has a policy to recommend trans oil changes @ no later than 60000 miles on most vehicles. This is based from an article once printed I believe by Pennzoil stateing reasons why 60000 miles was a good maximum for trans oil life. bob .................

pgreen
01-02-2005, 16:51
Allison recommends 50K miles for severe duty applications and 100K for all others if using Transynd. I recently had to get this data to my previous stealer to prove I did what was recommended.

My local Allison dealer (Valley Truck in Grand Rapids) was a HUGE help. Saving me a few thousand dollars from what the stealer wanted to replace. (sorry, off on a tangent!)

dmaxalliTech
01-02-2005, 19:29
pgreen.. You dealing with Trent over there? Tell him Eric said Hi if so.. Or if its somebody else, tell him that 'crazy dmax guy' said Hi. They all know me over there.
BTW, what dealer are you using?

pgreen
01-02-2005, 20:55
Yep, Trent's the man!

dmaxalliTech
01-03-2005, 18:59
Originally posted by pgreen:
Yep, Trent's the man! I'm gonna tell him to cut ya offf :D J/K!