PDA

View Full Version : leather interiors

alliemaxwannabe
06-09-2002, 20:18
This question is for anyone with the leather interior in the extended cabs...From what i'm reading in the Silverado brochure, the leather is on the front seats only, not the back! Is the back vinyl? Something about this doesn't seem right to me! :(

drthv8r
06-09-2002, 20:29
To my understanding the front seats aren't in full leather neither, only the "seating surface area". Also the back seat is vinyl. It looks like the so called "leather interior" is about 95% vinyl and about 5% leather.

DSLPOWR
06-09-2002, 20:34
The "seating surfaces" are leather, the rest, including the rear seat (ext cab) is pleather (vinyl). :rolleyes:

Rocky B
06-09-2002, 20:35
My Exten. Cab 2002 seems to have lather front & back. If it is vinyl it feels a lot like lather.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-09-2002, 20:59
alliemaxwannabe,

This topic has been discussed before and you should be aware that it is not real leather on the back seat of a ext. cab or crew cab!!!

It's not uncommon for the manufacturers to place the real leather only on the seating surfaces, however to just give you the front two seats and everthing else (P)Leather. COME ON GM!!!

To me it's the only reason I ordered a GMC SLE pkg. over the SLT. I can't justify the cost for the leather + the extra cost for the LT pkg. I am not convinced ON-STAR, and Leather fronts are worth the extra $$$$$$.

JMHO

P.S. Does anyone know if heated seats are OK with cloth or is it a no-no??? I would like to get the heaters installed in my buckets if possible.

Let me know, Thanks!!!!

GMC :eek:

jasonv
06-09-2002, 21:23
There is one other major down-fall of the leather package. GM does not offer the leather package with a front 40/20/40 bench. I find this bogus as with a large family like mine I need the extra seating and leather or "pleather" is nice because it wipes up easily which is a must with three kids under the age of four. GET ON IT GM. I want a leather bench!!!

jasonv :mad:

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-09-2002, 21:31
jasonv,

I had a 1997 ex/cab with the split bench and loved it!!( no air bag that year on a 2500 )

When I ordered my '02 I spec'd it as a 40-20-40 split bench with the power seat options. When I found out a Crew Cab cannot disable the front pass. air bag I said the H**L with it and got the buckets. My kids are 11, 8, & 6. No-one can ride up front any way with the air bags and I wanted the inboard arm rest on the buckets.

I though I read in another post that another member had a LS or SLE with the leather 40-20-40???

anyone know where that post is??

L8TER

GMC tongue.gif

[ 06-09-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

01_Duramax_Dually
06-09-2002, 23:15
Hello,
I have an 2001 CC and I have 40/20/40 leather front seats.
However, this subject had been discussed before as someone mentioned, but I heard that the 40/20/40 leather option would not be available in '03. Not sure, just heard...

As for the back being "Pleather" or Vinyl ..I went out and looked and it looks like leather, it smells like leather...I went to my build sheet and it says Full LEATHER interior...Now if it is not and I paid extra then I will have to address this, but at this point, I would have to argue that it is NOT simulated...I know the delay on my truck was getting the full leather seats in my truck...

Carry-On... :D

CanadaKev
06-09-2002, 23:27
Jeff,
I concure. In my '02 CC I definately have leather on the back seats. I would be ripped if it wasn't.Kev

SDWA
06-09-2002, 23:51
GMC-2002-Dmax,

According to the GM brochure I looked at while at my local Chevy dealer for add-on seat heaters, you can use them in any seat. This was an offical GM kit! Didn't get a price, sorry.

Scott

Buck
06-10-2002, 00:03
In my extended cab the front seats are all leather except the head rests and the map holder on the back of the seat. The rear bench is NOT leather either.

Jelisfc
06-10-2002, 07:30
I'll probably go with these guys http://www.classicsofttrim.com/. Crew cab full leather installed $1200.00 in the Twin Cities. I can't justify the upcharge to LT/SLT trim to get plether. They are out of Texas and have locations all over the country. They also do dealer installs so you can roll it on your financing.

windjammer
06-10-2002, 12:42
The leather on my front driver seat is already damaged (very small abrasive spot). I don't know when or where but it is not pretty now. Is the repair covered by the warranty?

mackin
06-10-2002, 12:59
windjammer ,

They should , after all it's between the bumpers ....... Right?

LOL :D

MAC ;)

midwestdmax29
06-10-2002, 16:00
I ordered my 02 as an LS with grey leather and 40/20/40 because I've got kids and the seats wipe off easily. I also hate dark interior-hot and dusty. I too prefer a 40/20/40 over buckets. The leather upgrade splits the difference in price between LS and LT. I do miss having heated seats, but that's it.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-10-2002, 20:07
01_Duramax_Dually,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

2002 Sierra brouchure - page 29 quote " Sierra 1500 extended cab interior with FRONT LEATHER seating surfaces in pewter."

Page 42 options comparison chart - quote " Front full-feature high back buckets with folding armrests" ( BLA,BLA,BLA ) and the last line (front leather seating areas)

Below in next box 1500/1500HD 2500 section - quote " Rear bench seat with adjustable outboard head restraints ( up-level cloth in SL and SLE, SIMULATED Leather on SLT and Denali"

page 46 in 2500HD/3500 equipment chart options - quote in SEATS section " Front 40/20/40 - 3 passenger split bench with FRONT leather seating surfaces " etc. then at the end " extended cab and crew cab : 3 passenger folding rear bench seat with head restraints and LEATHER-LIKE VINYL "

I was very careful when I placed the order for my truck. It was not a question of money, it was what was I getting for my money!!! It was not a full front and rear leather interior.

Sorry, thought you should have the facts

GMC :( :( :(

jasonv
06-10-2002, 21:19
Midwestdmax,
Have you actually got your 2002 with the 40/20/40 leather already? I was told by several dealers and even GM that leather was not an option on the 40/20/40. What the hell am I missing here? Would the option be available on Chevy and not GMC? This is crazy. I was also told that leather was not an option in the 40/20/40 in 2001 either. Based on waht 01_Duramx_Dually posted this is false also. I am so frustrated as I even e-mailed GM and was told that the leather bench simply was not on. If I wanted a wipeable surface GM told me to order the vinyl package. Does anyone from GM know the truth?

Jasonv :mad:

midwestdmax29
06-11-2002, 16:53
jasonv- You bet, last thanksgiving to be exact. Ordered it in september using a GM employee discount. Some dealers just don't want to work for your money. I'm only giving business to a dealer who is fair to me. I built mine as an LT and as an LS with leather, online at the GM website. Give it a try, then print it out and show it to your dealer. I'm also not too concerned about the "real" leather or not, it looks like leather, and suits me just fine. Good luck!

bora
06-11-2002, 17:14
I have a 40/20/40 with full leather interior and the car is an LS.

LA DMAX
06-11-2002, 19:11
jasonv, I have a 2002 GMC CC 40/20/40 split bench with leather. I ordered end of Aug 2001 and got it Nov 6 2001. Hope this helps.
Laters

LA DMAX

01_Duramax_Dually
06-12-2002, 09:45
You know, I went and looked at the leather very closely. I believe that the seat area is leather and the surrounding tufted area is Vinyl leather(Pleather) look a like.

Oh well, it still looks good and This not a huge concern.....as long as it stays nice, I am happy...

Carry On... :D

Jelisfc
06-12-2002, 12:03
JasonV...are you looking for leather and a six speed? If so you can't get both. That's where I'm at. I'll need to order the trans and aftermarket the interior.

jasonv
06-12-2002, 23:14
jelisfc:

I am looking for an Automatic. Anyway, it appears as though my dealer f$#c$#d me. I am very upset. I have ordered a 2003 with the same story, not available in a 40/20/40 bench. I thought maybe it was because I am Canadian, however, the Canadian trucks are built in Michigan no different than the US ones. I don't get it. I also tried to build this truck on the GM site and it would not allow it either. That is the Canadian GM site by the way.

Thanks so much for all those who responded.

jasonv :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused:

Nels
06-13-2002, 00:31
I have the leather seats in my extended cab. The fronts are real leather seating surfaces, and the rear folding bench is simulated leather. The look is very good though. I can live with it. I drive some 1500 mile round trips in the summer, so I bought it purely for comfort on a long ride. I am not sorry I did, either.

BTW: CREW cabs get real leather front & back. EXTENDED cabs get the SIMULATED leather in the back. I don't know about the 40-20-40 thing.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-13-2002, 13:17
Nels,

I had posted this earlier in this thread, this is the real story:

From the factory brouchure for 2002's and verified by the dealer,

on page #46 in 2500HD/3500 equipment chart options in the SEATS section QUOTE "Front 40/20/40 - 3 passenger split bench with FRONT leather seating surfaces " etc. then at the end

" extended cab and crew cab : 3 passenger folding rear bench seat with head restraints and LEATHER-LIKE VINYL " :confused: :confused:

Check out a brouchure for yourself, they still have 'em. ;)

GMC :D

mdrag
06-14-2002, 21:01
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Forum.

TxDoc
08-17-2002, 09:58
btt-for AOPA Roger

F150owner
08-30-2002, 07:45
I've owned a 2000 GMC Sierra SLT and I now have a 2001 2500 Crew Cab LS with Leather interior. The rear bench seach in the extended cab is definitely vinyl. My daughter rode back there and I hated it on very hot days.

On the other hand, the seating surfaces in the back seat of my crew cab is real leather. Seating surface is defined as the part your butt and back touch. The adjoining areas are 100% vinyl. It is very evident in the texture and coloration. For what this option cost, it should all be leather. :mad:

James S
08-30-2002, 10:10
Hey Jasonv

I have good knews for you. The GMCANADA site is being updated during the first week of October with the 2003 vehicle information, and you will be able to build a truck then. Also, you CAN get a leather bench in the front of your truck. I have read it on three car comparison sites, and in the Chev and GM brochure for 2003 models, and have confirmed it with GM on the phone. I do not know what kind of BS you are being fed, but i hope you get it straightened out. Heres a thought, cancel your current order, confirm everything with GM, then reorder your truck, and have them put a rush on it, because of their screw up. If you need more help, let me know, and give me your e mail address in another post, and we can try and get this straightened out. Where do you live in Canada? What kind of milage are you getting with your current Duramax, in town and on the highway? Talk to you soon.

James

andy911
08-30-2002, 12:49
All the quotes and descriptions I have received so far for a 2003 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab have listed "Leather Seat Inserts" as a line item with no comment as to front and/or rear.

I have looked at a 2003 Crew Cab and it definitely had 'real leather' front & rear cushion and backrest seat surfaces. All the surrounding trim on both front & rear seats (headrests, lower seat trim, armrests etc.) was the simulated leather plastic. tongue.gif