PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Allison leaking already

Vincent
04-14-2002, 21:23
Well we took the truck for the second towing trip on the replacement transmission this weekend.

Nothing difficult or extravagent...two hours each way, towing our 6,000lb 25 foot travel trailer.

I look in the driveway tonight and see two small puddles of hydraulic fluid under my truck, then look at the undercarriage and it has oil spray all over underneath, even as far back as all over the rear differential!

Needless to say, Im a bit bummed out. I just turned 14,000 miles on this truck and this tranny hasn't been in it very long. The first one was replaced for extremely loud whining throughout all of the gears and at different RPM's.

This tranny has been quieter longer, but what good does that do if all the fluid runs out?

I hope this gets sorted out before this June...I have a 3,600 mile towing trip planned throughout the west. Frankly this concerns me as to whether I'll make it all the way or not.

Big Al...what do you think???

:confused:

Vincent
04-15-2002, 06:24
By the way...has anyone else had this many problems with their trannys or am I just having a bad streak of luck lately?

Im halfway through my warranty and getting kind of concerned...I think I need re-assurance folks.

pullinpower
04-15-2002, 06:47
Have you looked at the fittings that connect to the allison? Some have said that the coupler leaks at the joint just try and see where it is comeing from so we can get this squared away,dont worry its probley a simple fix.

Turbo Al
04-15-2002, 08:05
Vincent:
You have every reason to be bummed out sorry to hear about your trans problems. I towed approx 7,000 lbs (travel trailer & cargo) approx. 3,000 miles -- 400 miles in 4 wheel drive through snow and gumbo -- last fall and not one hickup from truck or trans.
Hopefully it's a Mechanic problem (error) and not a mechanical problem.
Good luck
Turbo Al

GlenM
04-15-2002, 08:11
Vincent,

I had mine replaced last week with 16K for a MASSIVE fluid leak. Check the post on this forum from me about it. I’m not sold on Allison as the others are. They may put them in M1 tanks in the desert, I really don't care. Mine failed and cost me lost business and I wouldn't buy another.
Good Luck!

B.T.W. - I've seen others with two tranny failures with Allison’s on this forum also.

GlenM

Vincent
04-15-2002, 21:58
Well upon further examination this evening...the tranny is leaking from up inside the bell housing.

Its coming out along the seam and the weep/inspection hole in the bottom of the housing.

Leaving nice puddles in my driveway everywhere I park it (like any nice $40,000 truck should do after its second heavy duty tranny).

Sorry...just a bit frustrated. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I really want this truck and I to be a true "long-term relationship".

I love how it drives, the mileage it gets, the power it puts out, but the thing just wont let me bond with it when its on its second tranny (and a candidate for a 3rd) in 4 towing trips.

:(

Colorado Kid
04-16-2002, 18:01
Not to beat a dead horse, but the puddles are red like trans fluid, right? Not straw colored like diesel fuel which shows up right where you descibed it when it leaks anywhere on top of the engine.

mackin
04-16-2002, 19:06
Vincent,

I know I'm behind your posting about your problem. But, what was wrong with the first tranny? It was totally replaced? Not repaired? So you have a rebuild in the truck now that probably has a bad front seal? I assume that the two problems are totally different in nature? Just trying to get caught up.....I hope you get it resolved this time for the last time. Good luck.
MAC

Vincent
04-17-2002, 17:19
Colorado Kid...yep definitely hydro fluid. Same color and smell. Im a mechanic by trade and thats the first thing I checked for, thanks for the heads up though...good idea.

Mackin...the first tranny was extremely whiny throughout all gears. It also whined very loudly in park when revving the engine up. This only started the whining after the second tow job of my 6,000 lb travel trailer. It was no-where near the quiet level of any of the other Duramax's on their lot.

The original tranny never had any leaks, it was just so loud you could hear oit over the engine all the time.

The tranny was not repaired, it was replaced with a brand new, not re-manufactured one.

I talked to the Tech tonight and he said the front pump housing appears to be leaking. He said there is a technical bulletin out that applies to that area. It states to change copper washers under the bolts, loc-tite the bolts, and re-torque bolts to stop the leak.

He did go on to say that if the leak is from a certain seam on the pump, the tranny would need replaced again because they cant remove and replace pumps under GM/Allison rules.

mackin
04-17-2002, 17:25
Vincent
Now i remember thanks for the refresher........I hope it works out and your satisfied quickly........
MAC

Vincent
04-18-2002, 22:26
Talked to my favorite Tech today. He had my tranny on the workbench (along with my starter he broke..oops). My torque convertor was laying on the floor and my truck was in pieces. :eek:

He showed me where my leak(s) were coming from. There are several bolts that go through the bell housing into the main body of the tranny. Some have what we in the aircraft maintenance field call "Stat-O-Seals" and some have copper crush washers under the heads of them. All of them go through to various internal parts of the tranny and deal with various pressures.

He dyed my tranny fluid while the tranny was installed, then ran it a while before pulling it out and checking inside the bell housing with a black light. What he found was almost all of the bolts were leaking to some extent, culminating in a pretty decent stream coming from the inspection/drain hole in the bottom.

He said he's not replacing the tranny this time, just renewing the washers & seals then loc-titing the bolts as per instructions in the technical bulletin.

Sounds good to me...I just want my truck back, hopefully for a long time.

Oh, and the broken starter? He said thats the second one that has broke on him upon removal. The wire stud twisted out of its plastic housing on the starter assembly. He ordered a brand new one to the tune of $500!! It has a pretty substantial gear/torque conversion on it is why its so expensive I would imagine.

Just thought Id share this info with all of you so that you may learn from my experience in case it ever happens to you (hope not).

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: Vincent ]</p>

GlenM
04-21-2002, 14:32
Vincent,

I noticed when they replaced my Allison two weeks ago they put in a new starter also. I was wondering why? Guess the mystery is solved.

Vincent
04-28-2002, 11:35
Just a little update about my truck tranny woes. I still dont have my truck back yet.

The seals and washers had to come from Michigan and GM in their infinite wisdom decided to ship them via truck.

I stopped in to check on it Friday and the Tech told me all the parts finally came in and he'd start working on it Monday (tomorrow).

I sure hope so because Im really getting tired of driving a Grand Am loaner car...never been a car guy, never wanted to be, I miss my truck!!!

This tranny better hold this time or we may be going into some buy-back litigation. I need this rig for the upcoming camping season and theres nothing worse than making payments on the truck and a trailer to haul behind it when you cant use either one!!

Sorry, just needed to vent!! :(