PDA

View Full Version : 6 speeds

y22man
06-15-2002, 10:42
I just got off the phone with the dealers here in Utah. There are at least 56 6 speeds out there. The closest to me is in Twin Falls Idaho. The next 2 closest is Chyanne Wy. and Oragon somewhere. Those are Crew cabs. My wife and I are going on a drive today to go test drive it. It is a extended cab shortbed. We want a Crew cab. So atleast I will be able to drive it to see if I like it.

On a side note. Every dealer I talked to, I talked about the style change for the 2003 2500 HD. They did not belive me so I sent them Hoots pics. 2 said "oh my Heck That is the new blue, and it has the dmax badge". "I just talked to the rep yesterday". "That guy is going to hear it from me". Anther was bs'ing and said if it is going to happen it will be a mid year change. So none of the dealers know a thing even when you call their bluff.

Jay

y22man
06-15-2002, 10:59
Nope I am not going for a drive the dealership said they made a mistake and is in Napa. That is too far to drive. hope dashed again.

Jay

NutNbutGMC
06-15-2002, 19:18
^...IMHO, settle for nothing less than a crew cab. You'll be glad you chose it, the first time you look and see all of the readily accessable room and how much the dual cab space will accommodate a fine stereo upgrade, not to mention full capacity for 4, very comfortably.
Love my CC. :D

SoCalDMAX
06-15-2002, 19:57
I gotta agree, the crew cab is the way to go. (Even tho we don't have any kids.)

The first thing everyone says when they look in the back is, "Holy cow! It's like a freakin' living room back there!"

The extra length is well worth the interior room.

Regards, Steve

y22man
06-16-2002, 13:18
Thanks guys, Sarah and I have both decided to go with the Crew cab. We almost bought a ext. cab short bed a few months ago. I am glad we did not. If I can not find a 6 speed to at least test drive to see if I like it I will get a Ford 6 speed. I can find those with regularity in the confiuration we want. I just have a hard time spending that much money on something that I have never driven, or putting a deposit on a truck I do not want when I take delivery. I am very disapointed with GM with not offering more 6 speeds. If they are not on the lot then they are not purchased. Hence in GM's eye there is not a demand. I got the same thing when I bought my first new truck. There was only 1 in the state in the configuration I wanted. But if I wanted an auto they were countless. Sorry for the rant. I feel a little better.

Jay

NutNbutGMC
06-16-2002, 13:28
^....One last humble opinion, drive an Allison 5 speed. You'll never go back to a manual shift. The Allison is the complete compliment to the Duramax.......Don't just drive it... Gouge on it hard. Real hard. If that doesn't convince you, then so be it. tongue.gif

NOW....----> Ford? Your stepping a few notches down (IMHO) to another level, just for a nagging, clutch working, machine. Thanks and good luck, but no thanks. I'll stick with the Allison....

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

MaxRock
06-17-2002, 08:59
y22man,

I feel your pain. I was in the same situation. I could not find a 6 speed anywhere. I drove a few Allisons and was impressed...but I'm a stick shift kinda guy.

I ended up ordering a 6 speed without driving one. All I can say is it is a blast to drive. The transmission takes a little getting use to, but it is a very tight, easy shifting transmission. The gears ratios are close together and makes it easy to keep the DMax in it's peak power curve. I don't believe you will be dissapointed.

Good luck in your hunt.
MaxRock

needbigtruck
06-18-2002, 01:02
y22man I also have CC/longbox, and like MaxRock I ordered mine with out driving. I have no regrets, but then again I wanted the standard. If I was trying to decide between standard and auto, then I too would have been looking for a test drive. I get from your message you are going to drive the FORD standard just to expierence the transmission. I think it's the same. I have to push (left) against springs through 2 notches to get to reverse (up) and 1st (down). It's resting spot (where the stick sits in nuetral) is between 4th (up) and 5th (down). 2nd and 3rd are one notch to the left and 6th is one notch to the right. After a short amount of time it will be natural. I have to think when I switch cars though. Good luck finding what you want.

y22man
06-18-2002, 10:56
UPDATE:
I found a used 6 speed at Quality Chev. in Tooele Utah. It is a Canada 6 speed 7000 miles. I went out last night and drove it. I did not like it. The cluch pedal is noisy (sweeks). I do not like the feel of the clutch. How it is firm then go's really soft at the bottom half of the pedal. I do not like how the power of the dmax mates with the 6 speed. Most of the power feels like it is after 2000 rpm. then quickly gets to read line. I don't know if that is the turbo kicking in or what. Also I was not towing anything either. I do not know the power band of the dmax and 6 speed. The allison is mated to the dmax much better IMO.

I do like the shift pattern tho. To me I drive it like a 5 speed. Start out in 2nd and then go through the gears. No getting used to unless you need Reverse. On the Ford which has the same tranny, first in the Chevy is labled Low in the ford. The second move over to the left feels like you have to pass a gate.

I think I will continue to wait til October or so. Ford might be relesing the 6.0 Internatonal desiel. Smaller more power and better fuel economy. The 6 speed is mated to the pstroke perfect IMO. I might go with a Ford just for that reason. I know this is a Chevy Fourm. So no flames please. Just letting you know my oppion. Thanks For all the help.

Jay

LarryW
06-19-2002, 00:48
Y22man,

First I will tell you that I am a stick shift man myself. My 98’ Z71 prior to my 01’ HD had a manual as well. I even went as far to convert my 78’ K20 from an automatic to a SM465 manual. BUT, I will also tell you that my 01’ 2500HD 4x4 with the ZF 6 speed is the absolute worse manual transmission vehicle that I have ever owned. The shift gates are awkward, the clutch engagement is very poor, the clutch pedal squeaks like mad, the release bearing sounds like a rod knock at idle. I wish I would have not been so dead set on another manual trans. All I can say is drive a 6 speed for a long drive in traffic and then on the highway plus a few tries to jab the trans in reverse real fast or find 1st gear without nailing reverse then drive the Allison. I wish I had swallowed my pride and hung my genitals in on the wall along with the other soft palm flit boys that won’t own anything else but an automatic and gotten the Allison. With this current ZF GM offers it is no wonder they sell them in such small quantities.

Hey, if you want mine I might just sell it to you and go get myself an Allison before GM screws up the HD’s with the Avalanche front end. I never in my life thought I would prefer an automatic in any truck until I met the ZF. Now if GM would have stuck to their guns and used the NVG 5600 6 speed as originally planned it might be a different story. My truck is an 8.1L, extended cab shorty, pewter, electric bucket seats, with PYO wheels, deep tent glass, and G80. Oh, yeah…it now has 12k miles, drinks a quart of oil every 1200 miles, leaks coolant from the head bolt and gets a whopping 9 to 11 mpg. The only thing preventing me from trading it is free interest and it will be paid off in 3 years.

If you do get an automatic do yourself a favor and get one with a manual shift transfercase opposed to the buttons. That is the only good thing about the manual transmission is you can only get a manual shift transfercase.

DmaxCC6spd
06-19-2002, 13:51
LarryW and Y22man, I too have the 6 speed and love it. I think part of what you are experiencing it the stupid spring built into the clutch pedal assembly. Look up under the dash at the pedal assembly. You will see a spring built into the clutch pedal. If you actuate the pedal with your arm and watch the spring, you will see that during the first half of pedal travel, you are working to compress the spring. During the second half of pedal travel, the spring is "assissting" you. Some people experienced a loud clicking noise from the pedal. I too had this problem. The noise was caused by a loose bracked that held the spring. Rather than have a monkey at the dealership work on my truck, I simply cut the spring and removed it. It has a great deal of strenght. The clutch action is totally different now, very smooth and natural. I did have concerns about the pedal not fully returning, so I added a carbuerator return spring to the assembly to hold the pedal all the way out. I think the trans and engine match is great, but the clutch pedal design needs some work. You might try this, I think you will see how smooth it can be.

konacat
06-19-2002, 16:57
I have always had stick shifts since I was 17yrs old. My DMAX was ordered with the allison Trans and I love it. I had found that too much driving and shifting was starting to bother my back. With the Allison I no longer have the same discomfort. My only discomfort now is with my right foot. It just won't stay off the floor. :D I am glad though, that I remembered that my body is getting older. Good Luck