PDA

View Full Version : Break-in and Towing Question

RealBigTruck
04-16-2002, 15:20
I've got about 500 easy miles on my new Duramax/ZF-6. Anyone see any issues with doing some light towing at this point? 3,000-5,000 pounds on mostly flat stuff at 55mph? Or should I wait longer.

Thanks

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: RealBigTruck ]</p>

Flyboy
04-16-2002, 16:22
Don't wait, teach it to work.

Colorado Kid
04-16-2002, 18:06
Agreed. Now is the time.

mark45678
04-16-2002, 20:44
no problem with hard work but I would make it a point to change the rear end fluid ASAP the gray crap that came out of mine at 1700 miles really made me think WOW small machine shop!!!!!lots of fine metal in the oil...... :eek:

01_Duramax_Dually
04-16-2002, 21:32
RealBigTruck,
Well all I can say, I was towing my 11K trailer when it turned 750 miles. I did it right after I changed my rearend lube and did an oil change.

All I can say is Get out and make that thing Grunt. It will help seat the rings I have had zero problems with mine and the gas mileage keeps getting better and better. I have no experience with the Manual tranny but the motor is the motor.

Let'er rip..........And as you are going up huge grades at 70 MPH try not to get a headache from that Big Ol smile you will have plastered on your face... :D

NutNbutGMC will support the cause on this...

Regards

Jeff

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: 01_Duramax_Dually ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
04-17-2002, 03:21
^...... The way you break it in, is the way it will perform throughout its life expectancy. Hard and fast. This machine loves it.

TO-D-MAX
04-17-2002, 08:23
Break em in like your gonna drive em!!!

I picked my truck up on a Thursday with 2 miles on it. On Friday with 37 miles, I hooked up to a 3500# cargo trailer, and drove the next 700+ miles to Texas and back. Never noticed the trailer until on the return trip a tire blew on the trailer at 75 MPH. Even then it was stable and had no problems.

Break in says not to tow for the first 500 miles or so, but with 12000# capacity, I didn't figure 3500# would hurt anything.

Turbo Al
04-17-2002, 10:19
Well I am different than most (all) of the previous posts, I wait untill 1,500 miles and the second oil change before I put the boots to it. Light towing after 500 miles, no problem. Don't forget to change the diff oil after 500 miles of towing.
Of the 8 motors I have broken in (new motors or rebuilt) over the years I have never had a motor fail in any way shape or form, & they have all had good power.
To each his own.

y22man
04-17-2002, 12:03
I am sorry. I am new to these trucks. I keep seeing everyone saying to replace the dif fluid after 500 miles towing. Why? I have owned Chevy and Dodge, towing with heavy loads and never doing this after 500 miles. I never have had a problem or excessive metal fragments. Is the Chevy rearend Weak? Is it not Heavey Duty enough to handle the power from the DMax? I am having a hard time understanding why after 500 miles you need to change it on a Heavy Duty truck.

Sorry for the long post. I am just lost on this. I thought about it for a few months now.

Thanks
Jay

hunter98
04-17-2002, 12:37
y22man, you need to change the rear end differential oil to get the metal shavings out of the oil, also, when breaking in, the oil can become extremely hot and cause the breakdown of the oil. After the first 500 miles of towing change, you can most likely go indefinately on the oil, but I plan on changing at 25,000, and at 75,000 after that, CHEAP insurance on a 40k truck. You are going to have break in materials in your engine, transmission and other parts of the truck as well. You should also change these things on a Ford or a Dodge as well. Same way on our farm tractors that can cost 100k and up.

Hunter

Heartbeat Hauler
04-17-2002, 13:14
RealBigTruck,
Along with the rear diff you may want to consider the the 6 speed tranny service. I haven't seen to much about the 500 mile service on the manual gear box, but I would think it would be just like the rear diff. Anybody else got an opinion?..sorry dumb question everyone has an opinion...so lets hear'em. :D

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Heartbeat Hauler ]</p>

y22man
04-17-2002, 13:23
Thank you for the clarification. I must have misunderstood the other post I read. I took them as they change them after everytime they went 500 miles towing. Not the first 500 miles. I know why you do oil changes. This seems more reasonable.

Thanks
Jay

Timberline
04-17-2002, 17:42
I had 150 miles on mine when I hooked up about 7000 pounds to it. (I am sure most people will cringe when they read that) I towed with it very easy for the first 500 miles of the 1000 mile trip and varied my mph & rpm the whole trip and then I really put her to work. I ran it hard up the grades and let her cool on the down hill side and continued this which helps the very hard piston rings to seat. My therory has been "break them in hard and they will run hard". If the truck is going to break, lets have it happen under warranty.
I do not abuse this truck and I am very meticulus with it's maintenance and have not had any problems with it nor have I seen anything out of the ordinary.

Wheat Whacker
04-17-2002, 17:46
From my experience with new diesel motors is that they need to have the snot pulled out of them right away to get them to seat. When they put a new motor in our tractor they first put her on the dyno for about an hour then brought her home and told us to find the biggest implement she could handle and pull the snot out of her and change the oil at 25 hours and again at 100 hours 5000 hours later she barely uses any oil and still runs like a dream. Whereas my cousin bought a brand new 1994 Kenworth with a 12.7L 60 Series Detroit. This truck was the mule truck(this is the truck that pulls 2 or 3 other new trucks piggy backed on her) and it always used 1 gallon more oil between oil changes it pulled and ran great it just used oil. Dealer said that is normal with mule trucks because they don't get enough load right away to seat everything as good.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

DSLPOWR
04-17-2002, 18:19
Compression sets rings. Hammer down! :D

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: DSLPOWR ]</p>

01_Duramax_Dually
04-17-2002, 21:48
Timberline,
Saw you have a 66 Nova. Your Ci and HP depicts a L79 option.

You got an original?

I am a Nova Nut. Had 7 of them. Was President of the Golden State Novas for 5 years, Also a member of NNN.

If you got time, e-mail me and tell me about that car...man we have a lot in common...3500's and Nova's. Mine is an Original SS 327/275HP California Car. Even had California emissions. I have had it for 17 years.

Of course that car is not stock anymore but was at one time..Still a Nova is a Nova..

Regards

Jeff

Turbo Al
04-18-2002, 12:23
My Jimmy broke down in the middle of nowhere while towing my trailer (hunting) a tooth broke off the crown and went through the housing. GM replaced the entire rear end from backing plate to backing plate (it took some convincing -it had about 15,000 miles on it) and I ended up towing the trailer home -- no other recourse with the "Brand new" rear end -- Long story short 150 miles later rear end self destructed and had to be done again. Unknow if it was "set up" correctly because of course the Dealership claimed it was perfect when it left there shop.