PDA

View Full Version : What Mode to Tow In

ram/tx
06-16-2002, 15:51
I don't tow any real heavy loads, but I do tow a boat that weights 3000lbs, I think I read in the owners manual that unless you tow 75% of the Gross weight that it is ok to tow in the regular over drive mode. I took this to mean that I should not use the tow/haul button. Am I reading this right or did I fall out of my boat and get ALL WET? Thanks For Any Advice. :confused: :confused:

mark45678
06-16-2002, 16:15
I dont think there's any problem useing regular drive even if its close to max weight but if your in stop and go type driveing t/h mode will help keep the trans temp down by keeping the converter locked up more. If its hilly I use t/h even empty it just easer on the breaks.Plus I have a differn power setting in t/h mode(1) and 3 in drive! ;) T/H mode will bring your mileage down a little just because the motor always seams like its in 1 gear to low...

JEBar
06-16-2002, 16:16
I usually let my truck tell me when to push the tow/haul button...I pull in regular until the truck begins shifting/down shifting more than I like...then I pust the button. smile.gif

White Knight
06-16-2002, 16:28
I don't like to use the tow/haul mode while towing my 26 ft. travel trailer on non-freeway type, level roads. The T/H mode keeps the truck out of overdrive until you get up around 50 or 60 MPH. T/H sure is great while slowing down or while accelerating through an Interstate on ramp. I always use T/H while on the Interstate.

CanadaKev
06-16-2002, 20:40
ram/tx,
You definately don't need T/H to tow a 3000lb boat. Your truck won't even know it's there. But it sure doesn't do any harm to run in T/H if you want to. It really saves your brakes and it doesn't hurt to get a feel for how the Alli responds in the T/H mode. The downshifting(transmision braking) is one of the great features of this truck!!
Kev

Norm B
06-16-2002, 21:31
I have about 5000 miles towing my 26 foot 5th wheel. Estimate trailer weight at 7500 lbs. I find that the t/h is quite jerky on flat ground towing, expecially at low speeds. I found though that it makes about 20 degrees difference (200F vs 220F) in transmission temp in the last 20 miles of curvy uphill pulling to my home in the foothills. So I have adopted a policy of using t/h in any extended uphill pulling. It is nice to have the transmission temp and the engine temp just set on the normal running point(or within about 10 degrees for the transmission).

DogDays
06-17-2002, 15:21
I am towing a 13,500 lb 5er when fully loaded and 9800 lbs empty. Just had to haul (empty) this last weekend into town to use the local dump station. 20 mile drive with some hills, used T/H on the way in and without T/H on the way back. T/H definately causes the Allison to not go into 5th gear below 55-60. Have come to the conclusion that when towing you have to play the tranny like a violin (very carefully) if you want to get the best mileage. Playing with Cruise (on-off) versus T/H mode seems the way to do it.
:eek:

JEFSHP
06-17-2002, 15:41
I agree on using the tow/haul mode according to terrane, speed, & load & wind as you see fit. I've used the O/D standard drive with full load (15,999++, yes the 6.0 HD has Tow/Haul) and high profile, on the flats with a following sea, I mean wind.

I have also used Tow/Haul empty while climbing & winding up the mountains.

2002 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4 6.0 (4L80E)

John

John

ram/tx
06-17-2002, 17:03
Thanks for all the input to my t/h question. Now I can go out and play with that button. This is a great board for us first time diesel owners. We don't have many hills here in Texas so I will just have to play with it on the interstate. ;)