PDA

View Full Version : 2005 maiden voyage

ochster
12-28-2004, 08:47
Drove near 1000 miles over the holiday weekend on a new D/A with 7 miles on the clock. This was from Seattle to La Pine in a mixture of weather conditions from Rain to snow and Ice. Was a good trip to compare to the 03'I had for two years.

First thing I noticed on the 05' is the raw diesel smell from the tail pipe while idleing in the driveway. Seems to be quite strong, actually enough to burn my eyes. The 05'is a bigger truck and a 4x4 where the previous 03' was not. Having said that the 03' felt more powerful, I'm hoping the 05' will break-in and feel better. Not a big difference, but responsivness on hills is noticeable. I averaged 17 mpg on the whole trip. Most of the driving was freeway style roads, with cruise set. About 150 miles were drove with 4x4 engaged, as there was a combination snow, slush, ice, etc. Transfer case seems to get "noisy" at much over about 40-45mph. I'm assuming this to be chain noise. The brakes are certainly not as solid as my previous 03'. They actually feel a little mushy, like they need to be bled. I hope this is not indicative of the rear disc set-up. The dash lights flickered on several occasion driving at night. This did not appear to upset the gauges functioning, but was a little disconcerting. It probably happened 3 or four times.

Overall the truck was very pleasing to drive.
It is quieter than the 03', and I believe the crew cab is more solid in "cab-sealing" than the x-cab. The glow plugs reach temp very quick. Would be interested in anyones experience with my above maladies, Thanks.

dcalex
12-28-2004, 16:24
ochster ...Thanks for the report on your new truck....and congrats smile.gif

I can't reply to your questions.....wish I could....but I'm just now in the market for a new truck and the guys here are really being helpful.

I have two questions though, if you don't mind.

1) Would you buy this same truck again today?

2) The styling differences and 4WD aside....and if you could....would you buy the '03 or the '05 today.

Thanks,
Darrell

ochster
12-28-2004, 19:53
dcalex... I needed a one ton to pull my business trailer, and do like the GM product best of the big three. If not for that I would have a very hard time justifying paying the required $$ to own one of these rigs.

My 03' @ 37,000 miles was a very good performer in stock trim. If I could have got a new 3500 SRW with an LB7 instead of the LLY, its fair to say I would have had more faith in it.

Personally my dis-satisfaction lies with GM's attitude when dealing with us owners. These are work trucks that need to meet the needs of there intended purpose. If that means xtra sizing tires and wheels, adding a fuel filter, installing a exhaust brake, or any number of functional mods, I dont like my warranty being held hostage. Naturally there has to be parameters, but they could use a little common sense.

dcalex
12-28-2004, 20:07
Thanks....no surprizes in your answer. From what I've been reading on several forums, your sentiments seem to be the underlying cause of dissatisfaction....in many cases downright anger at the frustration.

jackrabbit
12-29-2004, 10:55
I now have 2200 miles on mine that I picked up around Thanksgiving. 4x4 Extended cab with 6sp.

I haven't noticed any raw diesel smell that you describe. I normally start mine up in the garage and then I do notice a slight smell, but it is not as strong as my 85 6.2 when it is started up or running. It certainly doesn't burn my eyes. My low on mileage has been 17.5 mpg and that was on the first tank. Typically am at 18.5 combination city/highway driving. Normmally drive around 70 on interstate.

I did notice that the brakes were mushy intially. They are now what I would consider to be solid, but it took about 500 miles in city driving before they firmed up.

I have about 100 miles on it engaged in 4 wheel drive. My max speed here has been at 50 mph on gravel roads mostly just to break it in. I have not noticed any objectable noise. This is my first 4x4 so I really don't have a reference to compare it to.

No electrical problems so far. I have noticed that if the cruise control is set at say 60 and you acelerate to pass, up to say 75 then the cruise will dis-engage. I assume that this is normal?

So far, I really like this truck, but like I said before, I am comparing it to my 85 6.2l standard cab.

madmatt
01-09-2005, 15:45
like said in another post.. can't realy help w/ your questions as I haven't had but 1 05 in the shop and taht turned out to be a loose gas cap, but congrats on the new rig....love the 05 body style. as for the warr. issues, most of that is left up to your dealer wether they cover it or not. i've put front hubs on a 03 1500 w/ 6" lift and rolling on 38" just because it was a good cust w/ a good aditude about the situation. Also th e cust. satisfactory surveys help out. if a cust. gives us a good survey we're more likley to help out rather then if he is always giving us bad ratings and raising h*ll.