PDA

View Full Version : Steering noise??

neophyte
04-17-2002, 10:27
Recently started to hear a loud "cluck" when I turn the wheel sharply to the right (when pulling out of a parking lot). I only hear the noise when I turn to the right not to the left. I have not problems steering, no humming noise or other in general from the power steering. Anyone had a problem with the steering rack? arm? tie rod?

NFLDMAX
04-17-2002, 10:39
My truck was doing the same thing. It ended being the upper control arm alignment bushings? being loose allowing the control arm to move and slap the frame.

neophyte
04-17-2002, 11:00
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have the dealer check it out. It is frustrating though, I just got the truck back a couple of weeks ago. They replaced the hydraulic booster and the clutch bushing. Before that it was for some recall on a brake sensor light. It seems every other weekend I am at the dealer. Did you wait a while before you got yours fixed? I figure I wanna take a break from dealer visits for just a little while.

VA_Dmax
11-06-2003, 02:55
Neophyte Did you ever have this problem fixed? Im having the exact same one now, only noise when turning right. Anybody heard of this? Did a search but the posts ended before anyone really listed the fix. Thanks

airtime
11-07-2003, 22:48
Funny you should say that!
They've greased my front shaft to cure that! No, It didn't cure it! If it knocks when you get out of the dealer, TAKE IT BACK! WOW! someone that actually had the same probs I did! And they couldn't "dup" it! (Imagine that!) My problem was that it rattled left or right, when I turned. Guess what? I put a lift on the truck, (all new comps underneath), rides real nice! I'm sorry, If I pay $40,000 for a truck, I expect one! You email me if you got a prob that they cant fix. I'm tired anymore,
Jethro-

steve700edgex
11-08-2003, 16:10
what is the cause of this, mine is doing both ways left and right and my '01 I had did it too. took the '01 in and they could not hear it, but with my '03 it is alot louder and they should not be able to tell they can't hear it. it would be nice to take it in and tell them what is exactly wrong rather than them trying to find it. seems to be worse when on rougher ground when turning

NJDMAX
11-08-2003, 18:52
My 2002 K3500 had the knock type noise on right turns only. The dealer lubed the steering column shaft. There is a tech bulletin on this,my friend at the dealer used two tubes of grease instead of just one. I had this done about three weeks ago. No problems as on late.
Tom

VA_Dmax
11-10-2003, 16:03
I was given the same fix as you NJDMAX. Some grease on the steering shaft. Seems to be working fine now, no more noise. Service writer says it may come back, if it does GM then authorizes a shaft replacement. Hope it doesnt come to that, but hey at least its warranty work. :rolleyes: