PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case Noise

Turbo-TA
11-14-2002, 01:42
I have a 2002 GMC 3500 Sierra Crew Cab 4x4 Dually with a Duramax and Allison Trans. My truck has 9700 miles on it and had to use 4 wheel drive in 4 Hi for the first time yesterday here in Eagle River, Alaska. I noticed a little more vibration while I was driving, but when I reached the highway and accelerated above 50 mph, the vibration grew slightly stronger, but there was a constant droning which increased as I accelerated or decelerated (ceases when coasting). This droning is especially annoying between 65-70mph. The droning sound is similar in sound to running over rumble strips on the highway, only not as loud.

My question to you all is that I have previously owned a 96 GMC Sierra 1500 with 4 wheel drive and a 96 Ford F-250 Powerstroke 4x4 and never had a vibration or a droning sound when I ran them in 4 wheel drive regardless of what speed I drove them. Do I have a potential problem with my transfer case because of the vibration and droning, or is this common on the 3500 series 4x4's? I am taking my truck to the dealer next week to have it looked at, but if anyone can provide some feedback on my perceived problem, I would be most appreciative.

SoMnDMAX
11-14-2002, 02:55
Read this-

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002036&p=

Since this post, my truck is up to 29,000 miles. The vibration is gone... Everyting seems to have "broken in".

Black Dog
11-14-2002, 06:50
Turbo-TA, did you crank up your torsion bars at all? My truck seemed to develop a slight front driveshaft vibration after I cranked them up (only about 1 inch of lift) that was not there at stock suspension height.

hoot
11-14-2002, 08:55
Cranking up the front torsion bars does not change front driveshaft angle at all. The front differential and the transfer case are both frame mounted.

It does change the CV joint angles but they shouldn't be affected.

Black Dog
11-14-2002, 09:57
Oops, your right. Must be the axle shafts. This is really only a slight vibration though. Nothing that concerns me.

Milkman
11-14-2002, 18:22
Turbo-TA,

Please see my post in the 2500 powertrain forum under the title 4WD noise. I had the same problem and the dealer fixed it.

Keith

Turbo-TA
12-11-2002, 18:36
I took my GMC 3500 truck to the dealer and complained about the tranfer case noise when 4X4 is engaged. The service writer attempted to control my expectations by stating that the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks all growl in 4 x 4 mode. I stated that I have spoken to some owners of 3500 series 4 X 4 trucks and they have very silent operation when the 4 wheel drive is engaged. Since my truck was imported to Canada and then imported back to the US (Alaska), the service writer commented that Canadian export vehicle are built to different standards and therefore could result in a more noisy 4 x 4 operation. When I heard that last comment my common sense was a little pushed of joint, but I bit my tongue and determined to make an issue out of that comment if they tell me that upon their test ride and trouble shooting resulted in the comment that "the groaning and vibration was normal." I just can't believe that GM would build a lesser quality truck for import into Canada. Any comments from the forum members? I feel very adamant that a quiet, with a relatively vibration free 4 x 4 operation from 3500 series GMC truck is what I expect.

Penngrovian
12-11-2002, 18:48
Were you in 4 wheel drive, 4 Hi when you were driving on the highway at 50 to 70 mph?

Could not tell from reading your post.

dave p
12-11-2002, 19:54
mine made a lot of noise, the first dealer i took it to had it a week and a half and called the T.A.C. they said the noise was normal, they clainmed they put a new one in out a truck that was on the lot and it did not help. so i took it to another dealer and the tech drove it and said i will order you a new transfer case, when it came in they installed it and it was quiet, and has been quiet every since. make them give you a new one. dave p :cool:

Turbo-TA
12-11-2002, 20:24
Yes I was in 4x HI and the noise/vibration begins when the transmission shifts into OD and above 50mph. It is at its worst above 55mph.

Penngrovian
12-11-2002, 21:59
I'm new to the Silverado D/A experience, but I seem to recall reading in the forum or in the owners's manual not to drive on pavement in 4 wheel drive for an extended period of time and especially not at a high speed.

Perhaps some of the other forum members can confirm this or let me know I'm full of it.

imported_
12-11-2002, 22:01
Mine does the same thing. right around 50+ or under hard acc. Before people start screaming that you shouldn't be doing 50 in 4x4 and therefore the noise is no big deal I say tongue.gif

50mph in 4x4 is moderate around here. I know, I know, a 4x4 stops the same as a 2x4 and you might not drive as fast in a 2x4 and if you need 4x4 you should slow down. It is the same guys that say you shouldn't back country alone or gun it at a light. Under the right conditions all of the above can be safe.

As for the noise, it is definately a problem. No other truck that I have owned has made as much noise in 4x4

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Big Blue ]</p>

FstTrack
12-11-2002, 23:47
Mine makes the same noise dealer says nothing they can do it is normal. what a joke. I did go and drive a friends identical truck and it was even louder then mine.

dave p
12-12-2002, 07:53
my 98 chevrolet 2500 was always quiet at speeds up to 70. my 2001 is almost as quiet, at speeds up to 70. why there are so many noisey new ones must be poor quailty control. before i had my changed it was very noisey. make them give you a new one. dave p :cool:

letsgo
12-12-2002, 20:58
Turbo-TA

It is quite true that we in Canada do demand the best and the toughest in Duramax.

I think you need to take that service writer to task, ask him to support his statement with any GM document.

good luck

Turbo-TA
01-01-2003, 11:47
I took my truck to the dealer and I wasn't surprised that they diagnosed the droning noise and vibration above 55MPH in OD when the 4x4 was engaged as "normal." I asked what the process was to dispute their diagnosis, and it was once the shop foreman has determined it is normal...that is final. This was the service writer. My truck was imported from Canada with 7500 miles on the odometer and placed in service on 12/15/01. The odometer was recalibrated by a non-GM facility, so the truck has a full warranty except for the instrument cluster. The service writer made a comment to the effect, "that your truck is a grey-market vehicle and doesn't have a full warranty...we are doing you a favor by honoring a vehicle with a Canadian warranty." I was infuriated by the "crass" comment, since as a consumer GM is GM whether it was brought into the US from Canada or Mexico. NAFTA be damned must be their line of thinking. My reading between the lines was, be happy with the service you received...and don't make waves.

Anyway, I cooled down and spoke to the shop foreman and he said that he drove a truck like mine from the new car lot and it had the same kind of droning and vibration and it was his opinion that the noise and vibration was normal.
He was very amicable, but insistant that what I am hearing and feeling is normal. Oddly enought the noise and vibration only occurs when the truck engages OD...I wonder why?

I don't think I am going to get very far with dealer I dealt with and the other GM dealer in town is much more unfriendly toward servicing imported vehicles. What am I to do?

FstTrack
01-01-2003, 21:08
I cant help you as far as the noise goes mine sounds the same and I got the same answer. But as far as the warranty goes they are not doing you a favor it still has the same warranty. The grey market comes up if their is a question of months or miles. It had to be in Canada for 6 months from service date and for 12000km what ever that is in miles if it was 1 day or 1 mile short it is gray market but still has the full warranty as long as the in service date was before sept 1 2002 which yours was. hope that helps a little.

Paintdude
01-01-2003, 21:26
Mine does it also..and my 2000 Z71 did also..The Dmax is just more noticable......It is the transfer case, I do know that much..

on a side note: I out run a v-8 Dakota today merging lanes, he was tring to cut me off and he just couldn`t get the job done.... :D

BadDog
01-09-2003, 09:36
I just got back from a long trip on icy roads. (Most of) 900 miles of which were in 4WD running 45-50+. No unusual noise was noticed...