PDA

View Full Version : 4wd shifter noise

Bob E.
11-14-2002, 20:12
I've read prior posts refering to transfer case noises and wonde if they relate to my problem.I have the 4wd shifter on the floor and while towing in 2wd(11K 5wh)at 60 mph up, or at any speed in 4wd, I get a ticking rattle from the shifter lever that can be felt in moving the shifter slightly. Also if you stick your finges down into the shifter box there is hot metal you can touch.Shop foreman says it sounds abnormal to him, but no reported problems. The foreman volunteeed to tear it down if we want him to but that doesn't sound like a good idea.Any ideas?

GM Smitty
11-16-2002, 07:54
My 4WD lever on the floor has also started to make some noise. Seems to be a vibration and it appears to have too much play. I can hear it more when accelerating while towing. It's quite annoying, but if I reach down and hold the lever still, the noise stops. I haven't really looked at it closely. I'll poke around this weekend and keep you posted if I find anything.

Josh

1BADDMAX
11-16-2002, 11:50
Look down a little farther on this forum and you'll see my post about this. I greased the linkage and also the shifter in the truck and this fixed the problem. I did have a cross pen down in there, but it was wedged between the rubber floor covering and the sound deadening material so I doubt it was making the noise. If you look in the manual it reccommends greasing the linkage with spray lube. It is completely quiet now. It sounded like wind noise. Hope this helps.

Bob E.
11-19-2002, 17:11
Hi 1MADDMAX, Took the truck into the dealer and they sprayed the linkage. The noise went away. I hope it holds true for towing but it was real consistent running sole when accelerating in 2 or 4-wheel drive. Thanks !!!

1BADDMAX
11-20-2002, 16:58
I'm glad it worked. We'll know what to do next time.