PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: How To Get Diesel Out of Clothing?

DennisG01
07-25-2005, 13:11
I changed out the Fuel Lift Pump the other night. First time I ever did one of these - I'm sure you can guess why I am asking how to get diesel out of clothing. My clothes have been washed a number of times, but still smells. Any ideas?

sturgeon-phish
07-25-2005, 14:26
DO NOT put them in the drier! I'm still hearing about doing that. I hung mine in the garage for a couple months.
Good Luck
Jim

JD Diesel
07-25-2005, 14:48
Good luck I have not heard of any ways. JD

Dvldog 8793
07-25-2005, 15:18
Howdy
Presoak for a couple hours with a degreaser like 409 or something equivilent. mix it 50/50 with water. After presoak then wash with normal detergent and rinse twice.
Learned this in the Marines, along with how to kill ect... tongue.gif
Hope this helps !
L8r
Conley

BrentN
07-25-2005, 15:38
I also use a Citrus Cleaner Product that you purchase by the gallon @ Home Depot for ~$9.00.

I presoak any stains in this stuff and then add some to the water in the washer machine. Works every time.

I use this same stuff in my carpet shampooer, I use it to wash the cars, you name it, I use it instead of other hand cleaners. Works great for pet smells too!

It takes out any stain and I have yet to find it bleaches or damages anything.

It works great and smells good too...

morgan
07-25-2005, 17:42
Good advice so far.

also, you can use any of the popular name-brand mechanic's hand-cleaners as a pre-wash stain-treatment.

Off-topic-topic: I use a heavy/thick lotion on my hands to fill the areas around my fingernails and knuckle wrinkles BEFORE doing work on my diesel. That stuff just gets in all the pores before the diesel/oil/grease does. Then the hand cleaner has a lot less work to do. Then...just use your shirt to wipe your hands dry after using the hand cleaner.

You know, it would be a whole lot easier to just use old clothes to do your auto work in. Or find a girlfriend that likes the smell of diesel...now there's a find.

JM

eracers999
07-25-2005, 21:16
Burn em

DmaxMaverick
07-25-2005, 21:39
I use orange hand cleaner. I have the pumice type (Fast Orange) for my hands, and the no pumice type (Go-Jo) for stains on clothes. Works well to get those oil stains out of the driveway, also. Work it into the fabric (or concrete) with a stiff brush. Rinse and wash like normal.

DennisG01
07-26-2005, 06:22
Thank you everyone! I will try your recommendations. My wife also thanks you! smile.gif

tanker
07-26-2005, 13:35
Hi There, well I've been working on and around fuel oil tankers for 37 years and my wife sure does get the oil and fumes out. Stains are another thing though. :D If they are real bad, try soaking in a bucket of "Simple Green", its also a degreaser and its safe. Hope this helps out. ;) No my wife does not take in laundry, mines bad enough!! :D

trbankii
07-28-2005, 10:23
I'll second on the Simple Green presoak. Does a pretty good job.

damork
07-31-2005, 20:36
This may sound crazy at first, but I had a dress shirt that got a black spot of diesel oil plus a spot from diesel fuel on it. Simple Green by itself would not remove the spots.

If you ever noticed when working with ATF, the black stains on your hands start to wash away as the detergent in ATF does it's job.

I figured my shirt was a total loss anyway so what the heck - I used a small amount of Dexron to remove the black spot and it also soaked into the diesel fuel spot.

I soaked it in Simple Green after the Dexron treatment and and the washing machine w/detergent did the rest. The shirt cleaned up great.

I've yet to see a TV ad where they remove black diesel oil stains from clothing, but this method will.