PDA

View Full Version : "05" Windshield Cracks

2jranch
01-05-2005, 06:05
My "05" GMC CC 3500 developed a crack in the lower part of the windsheild with only 1800 miles on it. Checked with dealer to see if it would be covered under warranty, no answer yet. I also check with a glass company about replacement and they said that he has replaced a few "05"s already and that GM has had a problem with this.
Are there any other owners out there that have experienced this problem, need to see if there is any relevance to what the glass company said.

64postcarnut
01-05-2005, 17:36
Can't speak to '05s but my '01 cracked on a cold night.I was the only one on the road at the time, too.

Bmacs
01-07-2005, 17:12
My '02 Windshield cracked sometime just before the cold came up here, my wife's '03 Trailblazer split right across the windshield after 1 year!! I think they're making the glass as thick as they make the paint on these things... ;)

jeff1216
01-09-2005, 13:26
I own an Auto glass company in Charleston,SC

Only 2 things that will cause a windshield to break.

1. Ofcourse something hitting it.....Even if this something is a TINY stone chip...It is possible with temp. change for the glass to crack.

2... In proper installation....What you have is called a stress crack.... Basicly when the windshield is installed, if it is to tight on one corner..when the glue hardens the windshield is under alot of stress. One little bump in the road and the windshield stress cracks.

I have been in the business for 12 years and I have never seen a factory glass stress crack.
I would have a nice long talk with the dealer. Many Many times the windshield will get a stone chip in transit to the dealership.....Dealership calls a local glass company and has the glass replaced. .. Glass is installed improperly....You buy the truck...Hit a pothole...And there you have it.

I can tell you 100%....If the glass is replaced on a new vehicle (sitting on lot)....It will not and is not disclosed when it is purchased.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Jeff

2jranch
01-09-2005, 16:26
I followed the crack with a pencil and found a very very small deflection that could be a chip at the base. I'm assuming that this could be called a stone chip so I will probably have to have my insurance replace it. The dealer staed that if it was chipped that they would not replace it under warranty. Thanks.