PDA

View Full Version : 255/85/16 tires - SoCalDMAX

Desert Diesel
06-18-2002, 13:52
SoCalDMAX,

I was thinking of going to a 265 but after seeing your 255's I want to try a set.
Will this tire size fit without raising the torsion bars? I've never enjoyed the results of cranking on the bars in my previous trucks.

Regards,

David

SoCalDMAX
06-18-2002, 20:16
Hi David,

Although my torsion bars are turned, I believe there is enough clearance on the stock height for the tires to fit just fine, no rubbing.

Some people don't like the looks of such a tall skinny tire, but I like them, especially the Dunlops, very quiet, smooth ride. I'm assuming low rolling resistance due to the narrowness. I'm getting roughly 1mpg better than with the stock tires.

IRT turning the torsion bars, I raised mine until the truck was level and saw no increase in ride harshness. In fact, the front end is softer than the rear, so I've got my shocks set to 4 (of 5) on the front and 2 on the rear to try to balance out the spring rates.

Regards, Steve

TXMAX
06-19-2002, 15:42
SOCALDMAX,

You're DeeZee's look great. Where did you get them and what was the cash outlay? I have looked at several models of them and think they are the way to go. How long have you had them and would you buy them again. Sorry for all the questions.

Abe

SoCalDMAX
06-19-2002, 23:30
TXMAX,

I got the DeeZees from 4 wheel parts warehouse. They originally swore to me that they were wheel to wheel, which turned out to be false. With tax and all, they came to about $440 for front and rear sets. I'd shop around and see if they're cheaper elsewhere.

I love them, they look great, are very sturdy (mounts to the frame rails and the bottom of the body with heavy angle iron) and require only a couple of holes to be drilled, the majority of the holes were already there. They also keep most of the mud, water, etc from splashing up on the sides, the truck stays clean for long periods.

They were very easy to install, I did it at night with a drop light. I'd definitely buy them again. The boards are kinda slick when wet, the ribbing offers little traction so I added 1" wide strips of non skid from the Home Depot to fix that, it works fine now.

Regards, Steve