PDA

View Full Version : engine shutoff solenoid

goodmonkey
12-26-2003, 13:48
I've had a small fuel leak in the engine valley that has gotten increasingly worse in the past few months. Before I could just see that there was a leak from under the hood, but now when I shut off the truck and let it sit, a small puddle of fuel can be seen on the ground. I was thinking that it could be a fuel line, but looking at it closer I wonder if it is the engine shutoff solenoid on the IP. My manuals say nothing of how to replace it, but I've seen someone in the forums mentioned that it can. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do it. This is on a '95 C2500, with a DS4 pump. Any help would be appreciated.

LilRed Turbo
12-26-2003, 17:17
Check the fuel filter carefully. Particularly if it has been changed recently. The bleed valve on top of the filter may not be tight, or the filter may not be seated correctly. The gasket around the filter base has been known to fall off the old filter or become unseated from the new filter. Either condition will result in a leak. Let us know what you find. ;)

whatnot
12-26-2003, 17:24
If it is the shutoff solenoid, all you do to change it is unplug it and screw it out.

MikeC
12-26-2003, 19:44
good,

If your truck is still covered by the 120K/11yr warranty, your dealer should cover it. Mine did. They said it was part of the IP and therefore covered.

Maybe I was just lucky :D

Mike

a5150nut
12-26-2003, 20:34
Had same problem with a fuel leek I couldn't find. Turned out to be small o-ring in the bottom of the fuel filter housing where the heating element enters the bottom of the filter can.

goodmonkey
12-26-2003, 21:54
I've determinded it to be the solenoid, as I can tap it with the end of a screwdriver (simulating vibration, of course) and get fuel to come out around the top. I've also noticed that some bubbles have formed there too now. Doesn't seem too easy to screw off though. Maybe I need something with more leverage then an allen wrench, but I'm afraid of breaking it too, and having to replace the whole IP. I wish it was still under warrenty, but the truck has 167k on it. Also if I can get it off, am I able to get it alone through the dealer? I've not seen anyone else to carry it.

whatnot
12-27-2003, 08:57
You might need to slide a pipe over your allen wrench for more leverage. When the one came out of mine, it was very tight. Once it pops loose, it should turn real easy.
You will want to make sure that there is no loose dirt that will fall into the pump while it is out.
Also, it is a good idea to open the fuel tank cap just incase there is any pressure in it so you don't have fuel running everywhere.