PDA

View Full Version : Bilsteins

ThePend
06-18-2002, 17:18
Just installed the front set and I ve got to say that it does improve the ride. Helps keep those 285'2 under control.

Now........ If they just get the rear ones off backorder, everything will be set. I did speak with someone at Bilstein in Poway, CA this afternoon, he said they have 300 sets inbound and only 250 orders to fill, backorders will be filled first. He estimates 3 more weeks.

We shall see :D

Kennedy
06-18-2002, 18:01
Been waiting...

My OE rears are junk, and I've been considering alternatives, but Ive had poor luck with the Ranchos, and from what Gardnersteam and others have said, the Edelbrocks are short lived too...

windjammer
06-19-2002, 12:41
JK, Have you replaced your front shocks? Most of my steering rattle problems are gone, but I still don't like the feel of the front end.

Kennedy
06-19-2002, 21:20
I put on a set of Bilsteins from Don at www.eshocks.com and have been hassling him weekly to find out "the latest lie" from Bilstein as to the rears :rolleyes:

Gotta find something soon or have Domine warranty the OEMs as I just got time to empty the bed (1600+ lbs of parts) and it's gonna ride like CRAP now...

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

mattb5150
07-03-2002, 22:27
Put on the fronts this last weekend. Anyone checked on status of rears lately? My order thru performanceproducts.com still shows estimated delivery of 07/09/02.

Matt B.

hapaschold
07-09-2002, 18:14
where s the best place to buy the bilstiens, and parts #'s
i m ready also

thanks

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 18:17
Still waiting on mine from www.eshocks.com. Not the cheapest, but Don is quite a decent guy!

Lyndal
07-10-2002, 12:02
I'm going to have to do something. At 15000 miles the rears are gone. too much bounce over the rough stuff and when hauling my 5th wheel.

Wish they would hurry up with the rears.

BradL
07-10-2002, 14:44
My AutoZone contact tells me that Bilstein tells him the rears are supposed to hit the East Coast any day now.

I'm in dire need of a rear set as well with 31,000 miles.

FrankA
07-12-2002, 15:46
Just heard from e-shox, rear Bilsteins are in.
I don't have time to put them on this weekend but will try to put them on Tues or Wed.

motovet
07-13-2002, 12:18
What are the correct part #'s for the fronts and the newly arrived rears?

motovet
07-13-2002, 18:30
??

CSDMAX
07-13-2002, 21:05
Motovet,

Per Bilstein's webpage.....
Make: CHEVROLET
Type: Pickup 4WD (Standard Suspension)
Model: Silverado 2500 (including HD Model)
Year: 00-02
Setting: HD
Front: BE5-6081-H0
Rear: BE5-6082-H0

bora
07-13-2002, 22:15
What is the torque spec on the bolts/nuts for the shocks?

I find the ride when towing a trailer less than
desirable. The rear shocks have almost no rebound damping.

Vette Racer
07-13-2002, 22:48
I put Rancho 9000's on mine in the rear. With the 5th wheel on and running 3000 pin weight with the shocks set on 5 the rear works really good. Empty with the shocks on 3 the rear still bounces on the concrete seams. I'm beginning to think you cannot stop that with a dually. If you have found a way let me and everyone else know.

TallyMax
07-21-2002, 07:40
Front Bilsteins in hand, and at last,rears on the way! Should have the rears middle of the week and possibly have them on by Friday. With only 11K I'm already starting to notice some deterioration of the OEM's. :D

Joe Duffiney
07-21-2002, 07:50
Auto parts guy trying to sell me Monroe "Reflex" shocks . Has anyone tried them ?

Kennedy
07-21-2002, 08:57
Should have my rear Bilsteins here on Monday!

csimo
07-21-2002, 09:56
I'm wondering about this! If you put in a 2500HD you get a Bilstein 6082, but if you put in a 3500 you get a Bilstein 6501.

Both the 2500HD and the 3500 use the same exact rear axle. The springs are different, and dual wheel adapters, and the brakes may be bigger (don't really know). The shock mounts should be the same.

I wonder if putting the 6501's on a 2500HD will give better control or not?

Kennedy
07-21-2002, 19:01
Youd have to compare, but sometimes mounting angles change.

The 3500 shocks may also be a bit harsh as they are damping a LOT more unsprung weight and have heavier spring rates (overloads) and such.

FirstDiesel
07-21-2002, 19:48
The Bilstein site only lists 4WD for the 3500. Are the shocks the same for a 2WD 3500??

ThePend
07-21-2002, 20:23
Finally. The rears are suppose to show up on wed. Can wait to try them out. :D

FrankA
07-21-2002, 21:02
got mine last week and really like them. I think they make a big difference from the stock shocks. Got them from eshocks.

RVGuy
07-23-2002, 08:33
I may be too late. I've contacted eshocks and shox and neither have any left. Any suggestions of other outlets for them??

Kennedy
07-23-2002, 08:56
When I last talked to Don at eshocks, he mentioned ordering in a bunch more due to the supply/demand issue. I guess i would call him and find out the eta of any additional shipments.

On edit:

Just installed mine! OEM had air (or escaped gas) in them which was obvious when compressing from full extension.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

tbrowne
07-24-2002, 14:58
Got the fronts three weeks ago - the rears were dilivered yesterday.

I got them from:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/basket.asp

They may still have them in stock. I paid $257.80 for the four shocks including freight.

ThePend
07-24-2002, 15:18
They finally made it. Put the rears on this afternoon and went out for a drive. NNNNIIIIIICCCCCEEEEEEE. Very nice. No more hip hop over small bumps. Now if my Banks would hurry up and get here. :D

JF
07-24-2002, 16:07
Have had fronts on for 6 weeks now. Ordered rear a few minutes ago from eshocks.com. In stock, being shipped tomorrow. :D JK, told Don I heard of him through your posts.

Jeff

Dinkie Diesel
07-24-2002, 20:20
Why does GM even bother to put shocks on their vehicles if they are going to be such junk. I have owned a lot of new vehicles from GM and each and every one of them has had junk for shocks. I am awaiting the new design for our trucks to be made by KYB. You might want to check them out at www.kyb.com. I put a set on my Dad's truck in the mid 70's and they are still doing what they are supoosed to do. KYB makes two models. A Gas-adjust and a Monomax. KYB tells me they will have the Gas-adjust ready this fall and the Monomax early next year. I tried a set of Monroe Reflex on our 99 2500 GMC. I don't recommend them to anyone. Made our truck ride like a paddy wagon not to mention they look like a $9.99 shock with their poor craftsmanship. I put a set of KYB Monomax' on a GM Astro van. If you've ever driven one of these with the factory shocks you won't dare take a cloverleaf on/off ramp any faster than a crawl or you feel like you're going to tip over. The Monomax stiffened it up a good amount but still rides good.

Why do OEM shocks for GM have about a 1 inch travel/play before they start to dampen? Why do they make our truck shocks 2% compression and 98% rebound? That's why I'm not an engineer!!!

I tried the Bilsteins on my 96 Chevy K3500 6.5TD definitely better than factory. These shocks combined with an 800# load in the bed made for a real pleasure to drive. The back end of a pickup is so light it's hard to control the two extremes from unloaded to fully loaded.

motovet
07-25-2002, 00:22
This is equivelent to what we in the oyster business call gain on pack. Any little bit saved in a large production can be very profitable. Cheap shocks, tires, lots of plastic. It all adds up. Oh, forgot about the thin paint...chincy floor mats....

Joe Duffiney
07-25-2002, 03:49
Thanx for the reply on the Monroe's Dinkie Diesel I quess I will hold out for the Bilsteins.

JF
07-30-2002, 16:44
Got my rears today. smile.gif Fronts have been on for 2,500 miles now.

BradL
08-01-2002, 05:55
Put my Bilstein rears on last night - what an improvement!

Also noticed this morning that with the Bilsteins now on the rear I don't have that driveline "clunk" feeling when coming to/taking off from a stop.

The stockers had no damping left, and had a "catch" on first compression which felt a lot like the driveline clunk I had with the two piece drive shaft and then with the one piece drive shaft before it was properly greased.

So, if you are experiencing what feels like a driveline "clunk" when coming to/taking off from a stop, make sure you consider rear shock performance.

Lyndal
08-01-2002, 07:52
Mine showed up a day early yesterday. Wish I had time to put them on this week, but they will have to wait for the weekend.

Kennedy
08-01-2002, 08:27
BradL,

Now that you mention it, the rear is much smoother at start out and stoppping. I think I'll still lube the slip yoke and put in a zerk if I can figure out a way.

I'm thinking I may want to try the 3500 shocks providing the dimensions are correct, as mine seems to have a bit of reverb (feels like dribbling or channeling) on the small sharp stuff. Anything bigger and it is perfect!

BradL
08-01-2002, 10:11
JK,

I agree with the lube, and installation of the zerk would be the best - would save 30 minutes to drop and re-install the driveshaft to lube.

Kennedy
08-02-2002, 22:17
Upon further review, a zerk will likely NOT be a good idea. Here's what I found:

Male splines on upper shaft, and female on lower. Of course, since there is no zerk, and the joint is booted, there is no weep hole in the female part, so filling the cavity would just create a hydraulic condition.

The male slines have a light blue plastic coating (teflon?) that is very tough and slippery. The length of spline engagement is QUITE significant even at full extension. This joint should last a long time!

There is NOT an abundance of grease in this joint. The grease is red, and there is no excess to speak of at the end of the travel in the female cavity.

I got some of the "special purpose lube" from the dealer and buttered mine up and put it back together. This specail purpose grease was light golden colored and QUITE thin. I put more than I should have inside the boot, on the splines, and in the cavity so I KNOW it is greased...

I havent been out towing hot, but the stick slip feeling is abscent. Thing is, as mentioned above, it went way with the shocks.

The old shocks have a massive gas problem. It is only apparent at the last 1/8 of the extension travel, but my guess is that in service, the gas (or air) mixes with the oil (like an emulsion shock) rendering the valving basically useless...

Lyndal
08-05-2002, 08:16
Installed mine this weekend. Air wrenchs are the greatest. Used one to remove the old ones in the 100 degree heat on Saturday. Beat laying under the truck with a rachet for long periods of time.

Shocks improve the ride and did away with come of the ~~~~~~ (thats bouncing up and down) that I had.

The old ones were shot at 16,000 miles.