PDA

View Full Version : I have a suggestion for the edge box!!!! JK, mackin'

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-18-2002, 20:35
I am reading how often the box is being updated and I assume that Aaron is swapping them out and reprogramming them again???
Anyway I know that there has to be a way to update that thing via a pc thru the net or thru a telephone line if the right connection was available.
We all update our pc software that way and many things can be reflashed like a pc bios....

Maybe someone with the right connections could drop a hint. I am hesitating ordering because I want the latest and greatest and I am hoping in a month or so to order my own when they make a few more improvements???

anyone think I am pipe dreaming or could it be done???? :( :confused:

let me know your thoughts!!! ;)

THANKS,

GMC.

P.S. mackin' --- sorry I missed everyone at marcus, did you got??? weather was crappy. Can I get a ride in the Black "JUICED" Rocket so I know what I'm missing????

let me know

Silver Bullet
06-18-2002, 20:52
GMC-2002-Dmax,
There are many things to consider which may or may not make it a cost effective option. Here are several things that come to mind...

- how does the juice box connect to the computer?
- is it "flashed" by a special machine?
- licensing for s/w used to "flash" juice box

I think it is a great idea...could you imagine plugging your truck in to your PC and downloading updates or getting diagnostics! :D

mackin
06-18-2002, 21:18
That will be exactly how they do it, or have hinted .... But at what cost to the ordinary "MACKIN" . It would come with USB to the Edge box connections ,with software to except the download up dates from their site...... Sooner or later the will stop tweaking it, so it would be maintenance, or will they make it better, and I could recover my cost and "PANHANDLE" the crap out of it ...... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

MAC :D

Kennedy
06-19-2002, 08:02
The hardware/software for the updates is ready in prototype form. Hopefully production units will be ready soon!

Im not sure as to the who etc, but dealers will be allowed to purchase the cable from what I understand.

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-19-2002, 09:23
GMC-2002-Dmax,

That is exactly how it should be done. I haven't seen the Juice box but I wouldn't be surprised if there was not a serial port somewhere on it.

In fact, like you, I am waiting to order because I really don't feel like having to mail the thing back and forth.

Microsoft gets away with it because you can DOWNLOAD service packs on the net.

Silver Bullet,

I believe that The Turbo Shop (TTS), in Compton California, has the VERY TOOL that you are talking about.

You hook up your laptop to your D-Max via a special serial cable (~$80-$90). It records all the data like fuel maps and the sort.

Actually, hooking up a laptop to the motor, for monitoring and altering computer programing, is nothing new... the import racing crowd has been doing it for years.

Mr. Kennedy,

I am sure it is a good product and for the money it is probably a great product.

However, I would have fired months ago using this approach. Then again, my stuff is hardware based.

Anyway, if you hear about a failed test on the news this week... Good chance that I did a bad job... :eek:

Otoh, if you don't... I was money. :D

In other words, writing the program is only 40% of the process in bringing a product to market. The others being the initial modular design, allowing for easy updates and expansion, and debugging the product.

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>