PDA

View Full Version : Houston, We have a problem!!!

Silver Bullet
06-18-2002, 21:04
I was looking at my truck sitting in the garage this evening and notice my driver's side read shock mount on the axle was bent! My truck has be backed into something! I don't when it happened...if it was me or someone I left it with for service.

Here are a couple pics...
http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/shock_mount1.jpg
http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/shock_mount2.jpg

Normally I would leave something like this, but my shock is bent and I don't know if a new one will fit without rubbing.

Does GM sell the mounting bracket that could be welded on? (if so, do ya know a part number?)

Is it staightenable? (my new word for the day!) It is pretty heavy gauge steel. If so, how?

Thanks.

PEANUTGRWR
06-18-2002, 21:09
HEY BULLET, WOULD ANY OF THAT SWISHER COUNTY PHEASANT HUNTING HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?? tongue.gif

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: PEANUTGRWR ]</p>

mackin
06-18-2002, 21:10
Silver Bullet ,

I'll bet it was the last time it was serviced ........Probably from the lift ...... Some how .... Man mine doesn't get their often (this one has yet) but I look them over with a fine tooth comb ........ If you did it you would know , I would think .. Straighten , some heat a hammer and some luck ......I'm sure it can be repaired not the first or last ......

MAC :eek:

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Silver Bullet
06-18-2002, 21:25
PEANUT - Nope...not from pheasant hunting! This beast has not made it up Kress yet! Ask Cody about me sticking my Z-71 in a snow drift while pheasant hunting the morning after the infamous bachelor party! I could bring Cody a case-o-beer and I bet he could have this thing sraightened out by the time I could get myself in trouble on a piece of farm equipment! :D

MAC - You're right...I don't think I did it b/c I would know if I hit something hard enough to bend it. If it was on the ground, then it was bent while backing. I had not thought about a lift or possibly floor jack improperly placed. I have had it to dealer once for the steering rattle and a few very small items, Discount Tire (wheel balancing & tires), NTB (alignment), Rhino Liner, and 4-Wheel Parts (rims). :mad:

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

Maverick
06-18-2002, 22:24
PEANUTGRWR,

Where is Swisher County? I should move there. That is my last name. I could tell people I am Mr. Swisher and smoke Swisher Sweet Cigars while I mow my lawn with my Swisher lawn mower at my house in Swisher County. LMAO!!!! :eek: :D

Silver Bullet
06-18-2002, 22:49
Maverick,
Swisher "Sweet" County is in the Texas panhandle...south of Amarillo, north of Lubbock, east of New Mexico, and west of Oklahoma! It is a great place to live, but you have to appreciate it for what it is and what it has to offer or you will think it is a flat, windy, dirty, cold/hot, h311 hole located in the middle of nowhere!!! :D :D

Maverick
06-18-2002, 23:45
Sounds good SB. Can I use my snowplow there? Any Team Roping in that area?

Silver Bullet
06-19-2002, 07:31
You MIGHT be able to use your snow plow 1 or 2 times a year!!! They get more snow up there than the rest of the state. PEANUT can answer better since he lives there...I just visit a once or twice a year for a weekend hunt (dove/pheasant). As far as the ropin'...I think you will be able to find that just about anywhere in Texas!!! I read your post in the Member's Duramax forum about possibly relocating...I love Texas and there is a certain pride that comes from living here.

7mmSTW
06-19-2002, 10:14
Maverick,

You might have problems justifying a snow plow but every now and then we have a big storm. With a 40 to 60 mile an hour wind the drifts can get HUGE. As for roping, some of the best in the world live in the area.

Later

Seven

bigbobed
06-19-2002, 12:36
Maverick

My son's brother-in-law lives just up the road outside of Canyon. He has his own roping arena with a radio controlled chute gate so he can practice by himself. He travels all over the state to compete.

Maverick
06-19-2002, 22:30
If it ever slows down, maybe I can take a Texas vacation this fall. Been to San Anton. before. Seen George Straits ranch. The mileage is climbing fast. Will be over 74,000 by Friday nite. This is a very good thing ($$$$$$$). :D

MaxRock
06-25-2002, 20:21
Hey Silver Bullet...Give me a call when you get a chance. I may have a solution if you haven't fixed it already.

Good luck.

MaxRock

Silver Bullet
07-24-2002, 08:17
Problem solved. I found a local big rig mechanic and he straightened it for free! Tools used...hammer, chain, large cresant wrench, and a come along...no heat. It is not perfect, but I can now get a new shock on it with no problems. I did add a couple washers on either side on the shock to space it out a little to keep the mount from rubbing on the shock...it is not perfect. I don't think I could get it much better without applying heat. Several people I talked too had concerns about applying heat without draining the rear end first.