PDA

View Full Version : Adding Stock Overhead Console.

D-n-Tyke
06-19-2002, 08:48
How hard is it to add the stock GM overhead console that comes in the trucks with bucket seats and the LT models, to a truck that did not come with this console? I am getting a 2002 Chevy CC that does not have the overhead console and would like to add it. Has anyone done this? Are all the hole already there under the head liner? Direct bolt in? Any tips? :confused:

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: D-n-Tyke ]</p>

odoh
06-19-2002, 10:23
Ditto. I too am interested. If feasible, would like a source, part number etc.
When mine arrived w/its stubby (cubby hole) console, I felt a measure of disappointment. There seems to be a foundation there but still unknown for sure. ~ odoh

SDWA
06-19-2002, 13:48
Hey Guys!

I already made the swap, it's simple! Don't have a part number for the overhead console from the dealer (although they told me it was like $300) but I found a take-off dealer that has new ones for around $90 - email address is DCNCHEVY@AOL.COM.

The new console simply needs a rectangle cut out of the overhead liner for the rear console support tabs (the slots are there in the metal roof support for it already!), the wiring harness plugs right in, and the 1 screw that holds the whole thing up in the front is in the same place!

The "indentation" left in the headliner from the short console disappeared on mine within a day or two...

I'll get some pictures/measurements on where to cut that second hole and get back to everyone ASAP!

Scott

SDWA
06-19-2002, 13:54
Also some are available on eBay, search for "overhead console" and here's one that ends today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1836492875

Scott

odoh
06-20-2002, 11:00
SDWA ~ Are you saying that one simply needs to cut holes in the headliner and fiberboard backing and that behind the fiberboard backing there are holes in the metal for hooking the support tabs? ~ odoh

SDWA
06-20-2002, 11:57
Odoh,

That's right, that's all there is to do! You don't have to modify the front cutout at all (and it doesn't need to be as big as it is in the picture in the album, either!) Just measure back from the retaining screw hole something like 22 inches (That's a guess! Don't cut yet!) and that's the "center" of the two rear holes you need to access... and that cutout doesn't have to be as big as the OEM cutout in the picture either!

This was on a crew cab. I assume they would be there on a extended cab too. To CYA, though, you may want to take a peek with a dental mirror and a flashlight first!

See the link below for a picture of what's behind there! (Or should be behind there!)

I'll get a picture with the measurement up there also ASAP!

Scott

www.picturetrail.com/sdwa

konacat
06-20-2002, 17:22
If you get the time I would like to see a photo of the completed project. Thanks

SDWA
06-20-2002, 18:19
Ok, pictures are up! See link below!

SDWA
06-20-2002, 18:30
Ok, maybe not. Picturetrail apparently didn't save my changes and now uploading is busy...

Scott

SDWA
06-22-2002, 18:52
Ok, they're up now. Don't cut your fingers off!

Scott

02DMAX
06-23-2002, 22:07
I have the short overhead console with OnStar. Will I have any issues in swaping in the larger overhead ? :rolleyes: Still working on the free first year and not ready to disconect it yet.

2002 GMC dmax/allison ext cab

SDWA
06-23-2002, 22:17
I thought OnStar controls were in the rear-view mirror for both trucks (I've never seen the inside of a GMC)... So you have a good question for which I have no answer :( Sorry!

Take a look behind the console - how many connectors are there? If the one for the in-console lights is a three way connector (might have three wires on truck side and two on console side) and the Onstar controls are separate connectors, then I would say you could easily do it...

Scott

02DMAX
06-25-2002, 20:01
I haven't removed the console but there is a small black semicircle toward the front drivers side of the console that the salesman said was the mic for On-Star. He may have been all wet since he could not tell me what the SCV on the radio was. I now know it is for speed control of the radio volume. Nice feature I might add.

SDWA
06-25-2002, 23:42
That microphone (for Onstar/Cellphone) comes off and is a separate electrical connection. It slips over the top edge of the console...

I had a dealer tell me the truck came with a sub-woofer/center channel and "SCV" was for sub-channel volume. I set him straight. He also showed me the "rear A/C ducts" underneat the back seats (crew cab) "Those are ducts that connect to the rear air exhausts on the back of the cab..." I told him. It must suck when you realize the customer knows more about your product than you do.

Scott

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: SDWA ]</p>

odoh
06-26-2002, 08:42
Had a sales assoc confide that he couldn't keep up w/all or full ranges of details on the many makes/models the dealership sold. As he would become more proficient, the new models would arrive and change things. Realizing that individual 'experts' on the lots are becoming scarce, (and as more of us kick tires in cyberspace) forums such as this one of many experts are the becoming the thing. ~ odoh

CSDMAX
06-26-2002, 08:56
odoh,

It is pretty bad when you know more than most of the service guys or salesman. You would think GM or the dealers would spend more time training their people about OUR trucks than raking in the big $$$$. For 40K+ on these trucks they could spend $0.02 and enlighten a few people.

BTW, I see your from Placer Co. Have you been up to Hell Hole Res. or the Rubicon lately?? I sure miss that place!!

odoh
06-26-2002, 09:43
Sadly true but I just accept it as part of the shift into the new millenium. I often ask myself if I can do square root w/o a calculator. What would happen if calculators were no longer available, who could one go to for the seed knowlege. This kind of stuff is out of my control of course but again, w/a swell group of truly experience/knowlegeable folks here, I can manage. Some article said GM was making $10K per unit on our trucks. Someone is raking in the bread. My really big concern is service of this truck ~ particularly in the out yrs. I'm not used to that as I usually do my own work.

Hell hole is still there but I've not been down there in awhile. Used to go squirrel hunting near The Strip. My son is up the rubicon everyother week. He seemingly enjoys wearing his equipment out. He hasn't done any real damage. Donno how long you've been gone but good chance you won't like the changes in Placer county (Roseville etc). Its getting very crowded now. During rush hour, one is better off w/a skateboard.
My ol' elk hunting grounds is south of you ~ Place called South Fork but looks like its being burned out right now. My sons Engine Co left yesterday to help out. Most of my friends moved out to the springs (pete afb) some yrs ago. Kinda wish I had went now. ~ odoh

Dawg
06-26-2002, 10:41
SDWA, Nice job on the console and thanks for the photos. Now I have to go and do the same thing! Where did you finally get your console from? I know you posted an email for them, but who and where are they? Is it in our neck of the woods?I would like to go right to the source?

Thanks

douglas belon
06-26-2002, 11:24
hey SDWA thanks for good info. i can not find the web site for getting the overhead console. please Scott can give me some more info as i also whould like to change mine out.

thanks socaldoug

D-n-Tyke
06-26-2002, 12:10
Yeah SDWA if you could give us some more info on where you ended up getting your overhead it would greatly be appreciated. I have sent an email to the address you gave above but it has gone unanswered :mad: as of this morning. So if there is another way of contacting them please let us know.

Thanks
Dan

SDWA
06-26-2002, 18:05
Hey everyone!

Sorry there's no response. DCNCHEVY@aol.com was the place I got mine from, there were some on ebay and I asked if they had others, apparently they had lots!!! It was a conversion company that had them from sunroofs or upgrades, etc. Don't remember where they were (I think Indiana) and I may have an 800 number from when I called to give the payment information. I'll look when I get home tomorrow and let everyone know.

If you search for "CHEVY OVERHEAD CONSOLE" on eBay you'll find several on there right now (in gray and tan) some even as "Buy it Now!" and even some aftermarket wood ones... You might want to "ask seller a question" on some of those and ask if they have any you can buy right away - that's how I got mine.

Scott

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: SDWA ]</p>

SDWA
06-26-2002, 18:11
NEWS FLASH!

I just looked at one of the ads on eBay and it's from the place I got mine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1837961772#logo

You can call them at 1-800-259-5842 and ask for Darrin (who I ordered mine through).

Or, visit their website at www.lwm.cc

Good luck!

Scott

RONCLYDE
07-02-2002, 06:53
I ordered one to put in my reg cab tk and have a question. my trk came with the short ovhd console storage tray and 2 adjustable lights. to the rear of the cab is the ceiling dome light. when i changed the console to the long one there was only one connector for the adjustable lights. are these suppose to go on when the doors are open or what can i do to replace the rear light that was removed to accomodate the large ovhd console. i do not know if there is enought room behind the new console to mount the old dome light. any help aould be appreciated.

odoh
07-02-2002, 09:20
Noticed you've a reg cab. There is one of the ebay suppliers (in OK IIRC) that has a tutorial for placing/modifying the long console to fit. There is a good chance your question is addressed there. I think it is the same outfit that SDWA referenced. ~ odoh

------------------
On edit: Take a look here:
http://www.lwm.cc/oh/index.htm

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>