PDA

View Full Version : Noisy when turning steering wheel

D/A
01-08-2005, 23:30
I have noticed now that its out of warranty that there is a sqeeling noise when turning the steering wheel its almost like its rubbing. Does anybody have a ideas what it is and what it would cost to fix. Thanks for any information on this

jbplock
01-09-2005, 05:37
D/A,

Not sure if it's the same but mine would make a "swishing" sound during full/slow turns in the driveway or parking lot. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took the truck in to have the intermediate steering shaft replaced and they said it was the firewall boot rubbing on the shaft. They lubed the boot and I haven't noticed it since. (My 98 K3500 did same thing.)

smile.gif

madmatt
01-09-2005, 19:19
check out what Bill said. I've seen alot of these comeback after other techs replaced the intermediate shaft and not lubed the body of the new shaft during installing. just take a can of spray lube to the boot where the shaft passes through the bulkhead and give'r a shot and that'll normally take care of it. if not you may need to remove the shaft and rub some grease on it.

DURA-MAX3
01-09-2005, 19:27
My 2004.5 lly was doing it when it was new and I had to take it back to dealer to get it checked out. It was full of fluid all the way to the lid the mechanic said, overfilled from the factory he said. Since it is at the proper level it makes no noise..

D/A
01-12-2005, 19:58
Thanks alot I will be off this weekend and give this a try it sounds very possible that could be it. Thanks again