PDA

View Full Version : Factory hitch receiver capacity

TallyMax
06-17-2002, 21:05
I need some advice on the capabilities of the OEM hitch receiver setup (Z-82 pkg?) from some of you folks that haul a lot. Right now I have an 18 ft car hauler (7,000 # GTW) which I haul a Kubota loader/backhoe that weighs in around 5,500 lbs making total weight right around the trailer's max. I'm considering replacing the trailer for a deckover trailer (more clearance, width, room for another implement and weight capacity:12,000 #'s). I've got a Reese weight distributing hitch with the anti-sway bars(cam type) which is rated up to 12,000. Will the factory receiver hold this much? I know it's rated for this amount, but I seem to recall some negative thoughts about the quality of the OEM posted here. Are there better ones out there and is it worth replacing the one that comes with the truck? Sorry to be so long winded, I just want to look real hard before I leap. THanks! :confused:

odoh
06-17-2002, 21:53
I seem to recall a thread sometime back re OEM bending below rating. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that it was limited to some that were produced and installed on the 01 trucks. There weren't bad experience reported from owners of the 02's altho some upgraded for personal satisfaction. ~ odoh

motovet
06-18-2002, 00:01
My 02' receiver bent and started to break the weld towing my 10,000# trailer with 1,000# hitch weight. I use a 1,200# EZ-lift set up to take off some weight. The stocker could not handle my set up so I replaced it with a class V Draw-Tite... all better.

needbigtruck
06-18-2002, 00:27
The factory receiver is rated for 12,000 lbs. I pull a 5500 lb. TT and the pin hole on mine started to elongate. I took it back and they finally ordered me a new one. Took a while to convince them. They kept saying my pin was undersized. I finally took in my pin and took the service manager to the showroom and put it in a new suburban to show them my pin was just fine. That convinced them. Got the new receiver last fall, so haven't towed much to see if it was an improvement. I say if they are going to put on a 12,000 lb. receiver then why spend money to replace it. Of course mine didn't break at any welds. I had been inspecting the old one regularly after I first read about the problems people were having.

LarryM
06-18-2002, 06:58
With over 9000 miles of towing my trailers, I have seen no problems at all with the hitch. I usually run about 7500 pounds loaded trailer weight with 1000 pounds tounge weight. I do not use an equalizer hitch. Because of the previous posts reporting problems with the OEM hitch I have been inspecting it often and closely, but have yet to find a problem.

EIS01
06-18-2002, 16:51
I have been towing between 10,000 and 12,000 for the last 25,500 miles without any trouble. My tongue weight is between 1,000 and 1,500. I use a weight distrubtion hitch some of the time, depending on the trailer, distance, etc. There may be better hitches out there. But I have not had any thought of spending the money if this one continues to hold up like it has. Hopefully, if GM did there testing the way they should have, we are in good shape. Mine says it is good for 12,000 with W\D hitch. Good luck with whatever you decide. Thanks, Kevin

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: EIS01 ]</p>

mdrag
06-19-2002, 09:03
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

BobNelson
06-19-2002, 20:18
Motovets hitch looks real nice, but after we saw 56nomads TorkLift super hitch up in BC, I had one installed last week. I can hold the stock receiver out at arms length with no problem. Super hitch is made of heeeeaaaavvvvy duty steel.

I had a 4' extension on my stock receiver and you could see the rear bumper bend (it was bolted to it) with just my weight. Super hitch does not bolt to bumper. With the same extension, it is rock solid. With the torklift extension, even more rock solid...

All the hidden hitches now installed on F-D-GM are really weak.. consider a change to the brand of your choice. It's just $$, but can save your tow...
smile.gif

TallyMax
06-19-2002, 21:04
Had some work done on my backhoe and thought I'd get the whole rig weighed at the local truck stop on the way home. Boy was I surprised at the results. The truck weighed in at 7020#'s and trailer axles were 3950# and 3520#. That means my 7000 lb rated trailer was 500 over with just the backhoe and nothing else. Time to look for a heavier trailer and probably receiver. I guess you just don't know unless you get it checked. One thing also bothers me, when I drive the tractor onto the dovetail of the trailer, the tongue almost brings the rear tires of the truck off the ground. Is this normal? I own several tractors, but just started towing them myself and don't have much experience yet. Thanks. :confused:

BobNelson
06-19-2002, 21:43
Most trailers that have a dove tail or flip down ramps, usually have some blocks built on them to account for that temp load... If the truck rear wheels come off the ground and you are on an incline, even a slight one, the rig can roll on you. Be carefull.. Go to a local rental shop and look at their rental trailers for similar use. Always a good place to get ideas. They have to build stuff to account for novices like me... ;)

I had 12,000 lbs of hoe and trailer on a few weeks ago.. It can get heavy and you need a good hitch. Hense, my new super hitch..

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: BobNelson ]</p>

TallyMax
06-22-2002, 06:51
BobNelson, thanks for the post. All the trailers I'd had any experience with had the fold down ramps and this one has the slide outs(pain in the @#%$)with no means of supporting the back end while loading/unloading. I'd wondered if the balance of the trailer was off, but I guess with any trailer you need that support. It's all clear now. Thanks! tongue.gif

IndigoDually
06-22-2002, 06:59
Put a couple of 6x6's under the rear of the trailer to support it while you load and unload. This will help until you get a heavier trailer.
When I load a 963 Track Loader on a tamdem axle tag-a-long I still block the rear of the trailer for extra support.

John

oneton
06-22-2002, 08:17
Here an idea. Install two tounge jacks on either side. I have the one you can store in a horizontal position when towing or remove them all together. I bought a trailer from a drilling company that made their own out of 4" steel pipe. They dilled pin holes for a 3/4" bolt and could extend and retract when needed. Cheap but effective.

TallyMax
06-22-2002, 12:20
Much oblidged for the suggestions. Looks like a better hitch and a heavier trailer are down the road for me. I've been looking around the web and otherwise for a 12-14K deckover, adjustable ball coupler, w/dovetail, fold down ramps in the 18-20 ft range. One that caught my eye was made by PJ trailers of Texas and had a 31" deck height. I'm willing to travel to pick up a good trailer at a reasonable price. Any suggestions for a N Florida boy? :cool:

zsqure
06-22-2002, 15:43
If you want a good deal on an equipment trailer start attending equipment auctions, beware of the used trailers, go for a brand new one, many manufacturers and dealers send their trailers to auctions to dump inventory they can't move. You could save as much as $1500 on a trailer. ex. 6 ton hudson skid steer trailer, 2100 last summer. 6 ton keifer deck over wheels $2700 this past spring. The deals are out there if you look and are patient. The most I've towed has been about 12k on the hudson trlr with a pintle set-up. YOU KNOW IT'S THERE BELIEVE ME. :eek:

oneton
06-22-2002, 22:19
Max, check out the Bargain Hunter Magazine. There are alot of trailer companies that offer new and used trailers in there. Also jump on Ebay. I don't know how the prices are there but the last time I checked I got alot of hits. I'm maxed out on my regular auto carrier, a 30' Haulmark V-nose enclosed, and now I'm thinking of upgrading to a fiver or gooseneck after reading some of the posts just for piece of mind. Post if you find a good company to deal with here in FL, I'll visit them too.

oneton
06-26-2002, 04:48
Do you think the factory hitch would handle this? With all the concerns about them I wouldn't bet on it.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291687245

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>

TallyMax
06-27-2002, 21:15
oneton, I'll bet you couldn't pry that pucker string with a crowbar! I think the picture convinced me.... Get a good hitch!!!
I think I've narrowed it down to the Reese Titan Class V, the UTP Quick n Easy, the Tork Lift and the Draw Tite Class V. Lot of difference in price with these. I love the way the Q n Easy works, but I'm not sure I want to loose the spare tire space and it's pretty darn expensive. But, you can take it with you when you get another truck (just get new brackets) and it would cushion the drive train of your truck, which is definitely worth something. The guy at UTP said the unit weighs almost 200 lbs all parts included.Wonder how much it really cushions?

Chris N5CWM
06-28-2002, 14:20
http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/05_trailering/index.htm

oneton
06-29-2002, 05:38
Chris, thanks for posting that link. I don't know how many times I've been there and just looked at the charts. I started reading the fine print and the factory hitch is only rated at 7500# without a weight ditribution hitch.

D MAXIMUS
06-29-2002, 21:06
TallyMax,
I pull a 26ft RV trailer GVWR of 7500lbs. I also have a weight distributing hitch. I do not know what the tongue weight is. I have towed my trailer on two trips for about a total of 400 miles. I have noticed that the hitch pin hole is becoming elongated on the vertical axis. This is no doubt due to the weight distributing hitch. I am heading out again on Tuesday. I will measure the holes before I leave and when I get back. I suspect that the steel is too soft and is becoming deformed. I'll post again next Saturday with the measurements and observations.

John

TallyMax
07-10-2002, 19:44
Well, I've finally made a decision on the hitch selection after several weeks of deliberation. I'm picking up the United Truck Parts Quick n Easy hitch in a couple of days. Usually I end up doing the hitching up process by myself so the capability to move the receiver in/out and left/right will be nice. I have a mirror device that attaches to the trailer to guide you while backing, but invariably I'm off an inch or two. The other pluses are the spring cushioning of the hitch and the high capacity. Awful expensive, but at least I can move it to the next truck I get. Now if I can find a heavier trailer I can afford and will be happy with. Anyone need a nearly new 7K car hauler? :D

oneton
07-10-2002, 19:53
TallyMax, when your in the market for a nice enclosed trailer give me shout. I'm wanting to go with a fifth wheel instead of the tag. Mine is 28ft on the inside, 30' with the tounge. I custom ordered it only two years ago and it's rated at 10,000 lbs.

TallyMax
07-10-2002, 20:39
oneton, sounds like a nice one! I'd love to have an enclosed trailer for many reasons/things. Right now the main cargo is the backhoe. I'll keep my ears to the ground though, if you're looking to sell. :cool:

TallyMax
07-21-2002, 08:13
oneton and all, am now the proud owner of a PJ trailer; 14K 18 foot car hauler type w/10k drop leg jack, 2 5/16 Bulldog coupler, 5 ft spring loaded drop down ramps, 235/85 radials (8 lug wheels), all lights are recessed in frame included the brake lights. Picked up south of Atlanta on the way back from NC mountains. Dealer had about 7 acres of trailers. Nice place to deal with except for the so called mechanic they had. Called my Prodigy controller a piece of crap, and that in 9 years he'd never heard of one.Guess he's been sleeping on the job. We had problems at first because the front axle was locking up. My guess was that the trailer had been sitting up for a while and just needed some miles to wear down the sticky brakes. This proved correct! Also picked up the Quick n Easy hitch in Albany that day also. Man is this thing one #$%* of a hitch! I can barely lift it myself, must be at least 150# or more. By the way, anyone that has this hitch, the company has some addon brackets for the connection to the frame that are needed if you push this thing to the limit aka 14K. These didn't come with my bracket kit. Let me know if you need more info or just call United Truck Parts. Sorry so long winded.

oneton
07-21-2002, 09:55
TallyMax, is it possible to carry 14000# on a tag? I thought the only way to carry that much weight was to go with a fifth wheel?

IndigoDually
07-21-2002, 19:23
12-14k is pushing it with a ball. I would say that anything heavier is definitely a pintle hook set-up and then you lose the weight dist. ability.

John

CALIMAX
07-21-2002, 22:06
TallyMax, What did that trailer set you back? I just bought a very similar trailer her in California for about 3K.

TallyMax
07-22-2002, 07:02
oneton and IndigoDually, I doubt I'll be hauling much over 12K total. The trailer itself weighs 2400#'s, so that would leave 9600#. The bar I have now is only rated for 12K. It probably wouldn't be wise to exceed 12K with this type of hitch setup and I suppose some of the hitch and trailer capacity are overkill, but I would rather be a little over than under. The hitch has unique features like the coil spring buffer, movability of the receiver when hitching up, plus being able to take it to the next truck no matter what I get and the trailer was much better built than most of those I looked at in this price range. By the way CALIMAX I got it (the trailer) for a little under $2,500. :D