PDA

View Full Version : Left Wheel Noise

medic198
01-10-2005, 15:41
Hey guys, Today as I was going to work I noticed an awful nosie in the area of the left front wheel. I heard the noise only when making a turn to the right, pretty hard turn at that. Good brakes, not in 4WD, have not tried it in 4WD. Does it going forward and in reverse. Not when the wheel is straight or your turning left. It at first sounds like the brakes, but ruled them out. Jacked the front up will not make the noise no mattter what you do. Lug nuts tight Center cap tight, air pressure as required. Give me an idea before I see a stealer. 01 D/A 110,000 well maintanced miles all oil and fluilds changed when advised to do so. Problems so far?. Glow plug circuit board, tranmission needed reflashed 2 times, felt like someoone hit in the rear at stops or slow speeds Trans park S/S replaced, it was stuck in 3rd and no R or D in shifter lights Anything would help so I can talk turkey with the dealer. Thanks guys!!!

jbplock
01-10-2005, 16:32
Since it only makes the noise when turning check the CV joints ..

DmaxMaverick
01-10-2005, 16:40
Try hitting the CV boot with some silicone spray lube. Just the outside of the boot, don't try to get any inside. Dry boots (dry meaning bare rubber) can make quite a noise. I've seen many joints unecessarily replaced due to just the boots. It couldn't be that simple, but worth a try.

medic198
01-11-2005, 11:49
Well your right it was not that simple. Didn't notice the play in the tire when we had it jacked up. But after we got it on the rack at the dealership I seen the problem. Left wheel bearing assly. Well you can't buy just a bearing, so the whole assly I had to buy. Now here's the funny thing. 357.00 at the delearshiip I was standing in. Got on the cell and called antoher dealership 45 miles South Guess what? $100.00 dollars cheaper. They wanted $100.00 dollars to install. The only thing I didn't have was a 36 mm socket, got that at Auto Zone $18.00, you know, for that axle nut. Auto Zone could order the assly but it would take 3 days to come in, you know how that goes I can't wait, can't stand it and it has to be fixed today, not much change in price. About an hour work, pretty easy really. So thanks to all that gave me ideas.

KenZ
01-15-2005, 05:55
My front left wheel bearing went out as well. Had been making a noise for a while. Took it in to be inspected and wouldn't pass. I'm guessing it started going around 65k miles. Was having some tire wear pattern showing up on that one tire and thought it might be a tie rod, but knew something was happening. Have 83k on it now. I heard the part number Auto zone had was wrong on another post. Verified it when I called them, as they showed the same part for a six lug as well as the 8 lug. Ended up getting the part from gmpartsdirect at half what the dealers wanted. $185 plus shipping/handling. Total was around $222.00 Will be putting it in today. Only thing was that it took about a week to get the part.

Had2HavDMAX
02-01-2005, 18:57
KenZ, what kind of noise was your truck making that led you to the wheel bearing? Thanaks, Mike

medic198
02-02-2005, 05:15
On my 01, I had a rubbing, (like a brake pad rubbing the rotor, meteal to metal) when I made a right turn, only a right turn, I noted a wearing to the inside tire on the left side. alinement was checked but he didn't notice or say anything about the wheel bearing being loose. And was only out a few Deg's. So, I recommend that a regular check on the wheel bearing assly. One thing, Chevy, Auto Zone all told me the bearing came as a complete assly, Chevy said there was two types, Auto Zone told me they only carried one, didn't ask any questions about the vin number like Chevy did. CarQuest told me they could get only the bearing not the whole assly. They could get me the whole assly if I wanted.

BradL
02-07-2005, 07:49
I apparently have the wheel bearing issue as well - sounds like a pebble or rock scratching on the rotor when making a hard turn to the left - 80,000 miles on 2500HD 4WD. What's the gm partsdirect # for the wheel bearing assy?

KenZ
02-12-2005, 08:41
Had2hav,

Didn't really make much noise, but every now and then I would get a vibration in the front end. Tires showed signs of cupping after a while. Vibration came and went. At first I thought is was just the feel of the road, or the tires causing the problem. By the time I changed it out, I could see small metal shavings on the assembly. It had gotten pretty loose. You can jack up the wheel and try to wiggle it. You can tell if it is loose and has some play, the wheel bearing is probably shot.

As I think about it, I may have had a slight squeal from time to time when I braked, but it wasn't really somthing that made me think wheel bearing, but maybe it was.

RWA II
02-16-2005, 08:14
At first I thought this was just me. I jacked up the truck and play was totally unacceptable. I started noticing the noise on hard turns and by the time I got around to fixing them, both wheels were popping just going down the road. Only 40k on my truck. The dealer agreed this was not right and shipped me some new ones. My local dealer wanted 370 each + installation cost.