PDA

View Full Version : Squeacking hard cluth

Big O
06-19-2002, 19:42
Well I took the beast in for the first time at 10,500 miles for a few minor things, a couple of days ago. I know what has been said here in the past about the clutch, and the possible cures. The mechanic told me that he checked with the factory, and was told to order and replace the complete clutch pedal assembly. They state that the plastic assy was over-torqued at the factory, and that caused it to warp, and the warpage causes the squeack. They have to completely take the dash out to replace the clutch assy. They assured me that they can replace the dash without any adverse reactions(squeacks and rattles).

1BADDMAX
06-20-2002, 06:49
That sucks... I might not get my clutch pedal replaced then. I don't want them taking the whole dash out. This truck is relatively rattle free and I sure as hell don't want it to start now!

Big O
06-20-2002, 17:58
1BADDMAX--
My feelings exactly. Knock on wood--I have NO rattles or other noises at ALL in my truck. They said it would not be a problem to remove/install the dash correctly, I only hope they are right.

neophyte
06-21-2002, 07:09
I had the pedal clutch assembly replaced on my truck. I have noticed a little rattling, but not bad at all. However, the squeak on the pedal has returned, so don't believe replacing the assembly will fix the noise. The pedal also still gets hard. Check old posts on this subject. There is a guy from Canada I believe that had his dealer take the damn spring assembly taken off. He drives fine now without it. I also have to go back and look for that post to check exactly what he had taken out, because I have been back to the dealer a least three times for the squeak. They can only fix it temporarily.

Big O
06-21-2002, 19:44
neophyte --
Well, that ain't what I wanted to hear!
:mad: :eek:

rberner
06-21-2002, 22:57
My clutch squeaked badly for a while at about 3000 miles but it stopped sometime while I was on my way to Central America, because I totally forgot that it had squeaked at all. At about 16,000 miles and when I was back in Mich. one cool dry day it slightly squeaked for part of a day and since it has not at all.

So maybe if you wait a little it will quit. :D

Big O
06-22-2002, 22:20
Well, now I am at about 11,000 miles, and it has not stopped since starting at 4,000 miles. :mad:

rberner
06-22-2002, 23:42
I forgot to mention that the dealer sprayed some lube up there in the shaft area for the clutch back when it had about 3000 miles on it. The reason I forgot about it was it only worked for about a day and then squeaked just as bad. But it is possible that the lube worked its way in somewhere afterwords because like I said sometime on the way to C.A. it stopped.

neophyte
06-25-2002, 08:16
Many have agreed that the pedal squeaks in hot weather and kind of quites down in cold weather. No one wants to hear that it cannot be fixed by replacing the spring, the assembly, by spraying lube...I am going to look into taking that damn spring out as suggested in another forum. I have tried everything else without success so far.

Big O
07-03-2002, 22:14
Well, I just got her out of the shop today, from getting the new clutch assembly installed. So far--so good. No Squeaks! IF it will just stay that way! Before replacing the whole assembly, they tried the old 'grease the socket/ball joint' trick, but it did no good. After removing the assembly the ball section was found to be completely busted--split lenthwise. Another bit of good news--so far, the dash has no rattles, even after being removed/reinstalled.

Red Diesel
07-09-2002, 20:40
What has happened to Big O's truck just happened to mine last week. It was int he shop a week waiting for the new bushing. (Plastic piece that Big O noted) I drove home (23 Miles) and the pedal creaks worse than when I brought it in. I am to hear from Customer Service (Yes, I laughed while I typed that) to see what GM is doing about this problem that they say is only on my truck obviously since there is no other case anywhere. I will let you all know what they say.