PDA

View Full Version : remote starter with high idle?

Larry Decker
08-25-2003, 16:27
Hello, I have read on the TDP that when idleing a dmax for more than a couple minutes can be bad? Something like the fuel will wash the oil from the cylinder walls. I read that a higher idle will be the cure. I am having a remote starter installed soon from a shop that I have used in the past with no problems. Is there a way to have the idle come on with the remote start? assuming that I get that installed as well. Will the dealer install a high idle, and what is a good price for parts and labor. Is the high idle necessary or not? I let my truck idle quite a bit now as I make many 5-10 minute stops during the day and I figure that would be better than shutting down and re-starting a lot and of course the A/C feels good. Should I have a high idle for this as well? I know I have asked a bunch of questions in this post, but I am new to diesels, eager to learn and want to protect my investment. Thanks in advance, Larry

chuntag95
08-25-2003, 20:20
There is a way to hook up the high idle to work with a remote start. The "trunk" button is what I used to actuate the set button of the cruise control to engage the high idle (needed a relay). I rarely use it. If you are only idling for 5-10 minutes, I wouldn't worry about it. I use high idle when it's cold or idling for over 20 minutes. I think most will agree that is probably overkill as well. Do a search on high idle and you will get all kinds of info on how, when to, when not to, etc. I figure you would have to get the dealer to put in the high idle and then go back to the installer with the info on what wire he needs to hook to to engage. Good luck.

Coghlin
08-27-2003, 19:17
What trunk button? Do you use a different fob?

chuntag95
08-27-2003, 19:59
The remote start system I have has a trunk button for use in a car. It comes with it's own two fobs and you hook it into the vehicle's system. Instead of hooking that actuation wire to the trunk pop (which we ain't got) I hooked it up to the set wire of the cruise control to apply the voltage pulse needed to engage the high idle. You leave the cruise control on all the time when you use the high idle. Do a search on high idle.

Modified
09-03-2003, 23:14
dmaxster knows. I remembered info from a while back. I haven't noticed dmaxster around here lately, but the following post has lots of info, and dmaxsters E-mail.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000584