PDA

View Full Version : Vibration at Converter lockup

chrisinkanata
01-11-2005, 15:54
In the last few weeks, my '02 D/A has developed a high frequency vibration at 50 MPH. It seems to occur whent the torque converter locks up but only when the truck is cold. I've tried to duplicate it at other speeds, without success. It only seems to happen at lock up in 5th. The truck has about 50,000 miles and I'm wondering if it is easily repairable or not. Hard to say here I know but if anyone has had a similar experience, I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Chris

More Power
01-16-2005, 09:14
The powertrain programming prevents TC lockup till both the engine and trans warms a bit.

Try it in Tow/Haul mode. This forces a TC lockup in all gears 2-5.

Have you changed the trans fluid & filter?

MP

chrisinkanata
01-16-2005, 14:37
No I haven't changed the fluid & filter yet. It's on my list of things to do. I am aware of the delay in lockup based on temperature. In the last few days, I've noticed that although this symptom is very obvious during the lockup after the 4-5 shift, in that time between when the trans is warm enough to lockup and at operating temp, but also it is present to varying degrees at other times. Very high frequency vibration...almost tickles the bottoms of your feet through the accelerator pedal. I'm thinking more along the lines of U-joints as well. I'll have to get my butt out there under it and see what's up.

Chris

DmaxMaverick
01-16-2005, 19:38
There are several possibilities. Check your torque converter bolts for tightness, and the flex plate for cracks or broken welds at the ring gear.

Check a couple things at a time, then come back for more if you don't solve it.

madmatt
01-16-2005, 19:50
check out your u-joints good. had several t-case adaptors and tranny cases cracked due to vibrations from bad u-joints that were left ignored......untill they noticed the stream of tranny fluid squirting out the side.