PDA

View Full Version : California Emissions and the DuraMax Diesel

Fishnfool
06-19-2002, 22:48
Was told by a Chevrolet dealer in Medford Oregon that I would have no problem buying a DuraMax from them and registering with DMV in California. Dealer said the DuraMax is 50 states legal. Have not called DMV to verify dealers claim & thought I would ask some CA DuraMax owners 1st. What gives, am I being Bs'd or what? :confused:

SoCalDMAX
06-19-2002, 23:07
2002 ca Duramaxes have EGR, catalytic converters and the associated different parts and ECM programing to support them. They are quite a bit different than the 49 state versions or the 2001 CA trucks.

I would either order the CA version or if you buy an out of state truck, you'll have to reach a certain mileage or age on it before it can be brought in as a used truck. I do know that some OR dealers will help you out and register it in OR for you until you hit the mileage, then you can switch to CA. Maybe that's what he's offering to do.

If not, then I'd insist on ordering a CA version, because I'm suree the state is going to start inspecting and enforcing the emissions stuff on the diesels in the future, it's the way these politicians/environmentalists work.

Regards, Steve

odoh
06-19-2002, 23:10
Just went thru the process ~ CA DMV won't accept an emission declaration as 50 state, 49 state nor 37 state. It must have a declaration in the engine compartment or the emission component that it meets CA Emission requirements. For the duramax, this means it has a cat, EGR and I think, a pump.
Most of us and DMV can't find the declaration on the duramax. I found it a few days ago on the EECU cover. The DMV agent accepted the declaration on the MSO together w/the window sticker documents. You'll need to have a wgt certif also.

Anyway, it wasn't so bad after its all over. But make sure it really is CA legal. If it isn't, they won't register it and can/may demand it to removed from CA after you purchase a permit to do so. ~ odoh

odoh
06-19-2002, 23:18
Technically, the 7500Mile exception is for non residents moving into CA. This is to accommodate/releive undo burden for military and others. As I read the directives, a CA resident can't import into the state a used car that fails to meet CA emission stds. However, a non-resident can. ~ odoh

DMAX/KTM
06-21-2002, 16:22
I did what ODOH did. Bought my truck from an out of state dealer (Michigan). You MUST order your truck as "california certified" or you WILL NOT be able to register it in California. Also, if you order the truck, you get exactly what you want and GM will ship it to any dealer you want free (I used a dealer down the street so no driving to Michigan. Only problem I ran into is DMV person could not find the little sticker on the motor that says it is california certifified (I showed them the certificate or origin from GM which as it on it but DMV said unless we see it on the truck, "you must remove it from the state". I called GM, found out where the sticker was, went to my local police department (they are allowed to sign off on it also and not anal like DMV employees). Went back to DMV, got my license plate right then and been happy ever since.

Bill McGouirk
06-21-2002, 20:59
Hi,
I have a 2001 CA. Duramax with no cat. I bought it new one year ago in Jan Jose CA. Will I ever have a problem in the future with the DMV. I hope not I love My truck and I am glad it has no extra emissions stuff.

Thanks Bill

dmaxstu
06-21-2002, 21:35
odoh
Where is the EECU cover? The DMV here in Santa Rosa accepted the window stickers.
About drop shipping a truck bought from dealers in other states. Some dealers not acquainted with the process might do it but the more sophisticated dealers won't go for it, since the receiving dealer will not be responsible so the selling dealer could be left holding the bag if the truck was not accepted by the buyer.So I was told by the sales manager at Buckles Motors.When they're selling them for $49 over invoice it does not leave much for shipping it back and forth. Stu

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

odoh
06-21-2002, 21:45
Stu, stand on the passenger side and look at the valve cover ajacent to the coolant reservoir. You can't see the valve cover because the EECU module is in the way. It has a lable on it the takes up most of the surface area ~ talks about gobs of stuff, valves etc. If one reads thru it, there is a statement that it meets CA emission requirements. That counts/meets the burden of proof. Donno why its so tuff to see ~ it was right under my nose all the time but I guess I mentally blocked it out because it appeared wordy. ~ odoh

Fishnfool
06-21-2002, 21:48
dmaxstu

Where did you buy your D-Max at?

odoh
06-21-2002, 21:55
Bill ~ I guess Cats are new for 02? Howabout EGR? Do you have an EECU? I don't mind the Cat as much as the EGR. Someone said the heads are different also. I know I've a pump (chk the belt routing decal on the fan shroud). While I've the smog stuff, when the smogging starts, I, (and some F**D boys) think it'll be effective w/the then current trucks w/us being excluded (I been known to be wrong before). But I hope. ~ odoh

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

Bill McGouirk
06-21-2002, 22:34
Odoh,

What is a EGR and EECU? How can I tell it I have the same heads? Also why dont you want the EGR.

Thanks Bill

odoh
06-21-2002, 22:53
Ref my earlier post ~ http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003405&p=

The EGR in my mind a high maint/problem component of the emission system based on experience w/gassers. This is my first diesel, (w/EGR) and could be problem free ~ however, lessons learned are hard to break.
The questions I ask you earlier was to get a better feel re 01's as compared to the 02's. The unique heads go w/the EGR. If you've the EGR, then it holds your heads are like mine. There's nothing to say our heads are any better/worse (so far) than the Fed engs. Just something else to be aware of. I could be wrong but if you don't have a EECU, then probably don't have an EGR either? ~ odoh

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

dmaxstu
06-22-2002, 08:43
Fishinfool
I bought my truck from www.bucklesmotors.com
Silviera in healdsburg would'nt strike a deal even though I had been sent there by AAA for a no haggle deal. Stu

Fishnfool
06-22-2002, 09:28
dmaxstu

The best deal I've found so far is Epps Chevrolet in St Helena for $1000 over invoice. Two relatives purchased there thru Andrew Friedlund. The deal is only on factory orders, not on dealer stock though and 2002's in the configuration I want are gone.

Am going to Victory Chevrolet in Petaluma after work on Monday to talk to Dennis Albers in Fleet Sales. A friend of mine told me to call him so I did and he said he would do a 2003 factory order for $500 over invoice. If all is true, my 2003 DuraMax will be on order when I step out their door!!! :D

dmaxstu
06-22-2002, 16:34
Fishinfool
I was not interested in a Chevy, I know it's the same truck but I liked the looks of the GMC and since I have to live with it many years that was important. So I never checked with Victory, but I know that Pellini in Sebastopol gets full sticker.
I did go to Victory for a filter recently and checked out a Dmax in their inventory. It was the most expensive Dmax I'd ever seen. Over 50 grand. So just a heads up and go to www.edmunds.com and spend some time to build yourself a truck with the 2002 prices and make sure that Victory uses the same invoice prices as found on that site. I paid the invoice as you find it on that site, namely the cheapest column plus $49.at Buckles.I have not known Victory to be a bargain basement and I have lived here 30 years. Call me at 823-1509 if you want to discuss this some. Stu

56Nomad
06-22-2002, 20:30
Ok, here is the poop for California residents who want
to buy their Dmax out of state....................

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/stdpage.asp?BODY=/CONSUMER/BRINGING_A_CAR_TO_CALIFORNIA.HTM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
&lt;&lt;Cars originally sold in California are certified to meet
California emissions standards for that model year.
California's emissions standards are more stringent
than federal standards. Even if a federally certified
vehicle passes the California Smog Check, it will still
emit more pollutants than a comparable California-
certified car over its useful life. Cars manufactured
for the U.S. market have an emissions label somewhere
in the engine compartment which indicates whether
the car meets federal or California standards.

If the underhood emissions label says then "This car
meets USEPA and State of California regulations for
emissions controls..." the vehicle is California certified.
"This car meets USEPA regulations for emissions..."
then it is a federal, or "49-state," car, and is not
California certified.

If the label does not say one of these things, or if there
is no label, then the car may be a gray-market import.
Emissions equipment

A federally emissions certified vehicle may be registered in
California without modification as long as it has all
of the emissions equipment which was on the vehicle
when it was first sold. The equipment must all function
correctly. If the car has missing, disconnected or
tampered emissions parts, you will not be able to
register the car here until those deficiencies
are corrected, even if that means locating hard-to-
find and expensive original equipment. Repair-cost
waivers, Economic Hardship Extensions and Limited
Parts Exemptions DO NOT APPLY to vehicles being
brought in from out of state.

Do not add additional emissions control equipment to
your federally certified vehicle in order to bring it to
California. Do not attempt to make a federal vehicle
conform to California standards. Do, however, get a
tune up to factory specifications if your car is running
rough or has not been adjusted to factory specifications
for some time. Regular maintenance will help you pass
your Smog Check.&gt;&gt;

California statute regarding the registration of non-CARB vehicles
in CA. The vehicle must first have at least 7,500 miles
on it. The DMV is well aware of this gambit, and is generally quite
suspicious of low mile used vehicles, particularly from bordering states
such as AZ, NV, and OR.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf

If you are a resident of California and buy or acquire a
new car, truck or motorcycle in another state, it must be
"California Certified" to meet California emission laws,
unless it meets one of the exceptions listed below.

California Law considers any vehicle purchased with less
than 7,500 miles on the odometer a NEW vehicle. California
Law also prohibits a California resident or business from
driving their vehicle to obtain in excess of 7,500 miles.

As a California resident, you may register a new out-of-state
vehicle certified to federal emission standards only if you:

dmaxstu
06-22-2002, 21:09
The underhood emision label posted on the radiator shroud is only found on gassers and not on diesels. A dmax made to meet CA emission standards has on the window in addition to the pricing sticker a label that says the following: "This vehicleis certified to CALIFORNIA EMISSION REQUIREMENTS. It is not legal for primary use or registration in states with Federal Emissions or in MA,ME, NY or VT unless sold in AZ,CA, NV, or OR."
This sticker also reflects the VIN# of the vehicle to which it is posted.So it does'nt matter where you buy it in the US as long as it has this sticker you are able to register it in CA. It kind of sounds like AZ, CA, NV,and OR all might be selling CA compliant dmaxes if so ordered as an either or and one might actually find some CA compliant vehicles in dealer's inventories in those 3 western states. Stu

56Nomad
06-22-2002, 23:03
dmaxstu,

Unless those dealers order their trucks with
the CA emissions..... they should not be telling
folks that they can be registered in CA.

If you are a CA resident, better make sure
your out of state D/max has the following on
the [Optional Equipment Summary]

****YF5 California Emissions Requirement****

oneton
06-23-2002, 15:12
"CALIFORNIA EMISSION REQUIREMENTS. It is not legal for primary use or registration in states with Federal Emissions or in MA,ME, NY or VT unless sold in AZ,CA, NV, or OR."

This doesn't make any sense. How can a truck be illegal to use with CA Emissions other than in CA? I'm I reading it wrong? :confused: