PDA

View Full Version : Extended cab vs Crew Cab 2500???

Drag
01-13-2005, 05:31
Hello All,
I currently have a '96 C3500 crew cab but I am looking at moving up from the 6.5 to a Duramax and my dad has an '03 K2500HD that he wants to sell. I can get it at a very good price but the truck is an extended cab (not a crew cab) with the "quad" type doors on it.
I'm looking for opinions from people who own these type of trucks.
The interior of his truck is leather with captains chairs in the front if that makes any difference in the space.
I have two children (ages 6 & 12) who will be using the back seat most often. Even with my current crew cab, it's pretty rare for me to have any adults in the back seat. Really the only time that adults ride in the back is when several of us at work go out to lunch together and it's only about a 15 minute trip. Can two adults ride back there comfortably for a short trip?
Anyone know exactly how much longer the back seat of a crew cab is versus the back seat of the extended cab?
Thanks for any help!

ADub
01-13-2005, 05:57
I had an Ext cab, now I own a Crew Cab. I routinely filled up the backseat of the Ext Cab with 3 adults and we did just fine, even on hour long trips to the lake. The biggest difference I noticed with the CCab is the added stiffness of the cab because it has a true support pillar. Much fewer creaks and rattles with the CCab

TSimpler
01-13-2005, 07:35
You will be MUCH happier with a CC. Don't know how I ever lived without it.

Trent

dodgerfan
01-13-2005, 08:21
I bought my first extended cab in '94 when my boys were 5 and 7. Needless to say, they grow up. For the last 5 years or so they all but refused to take any long trips in the back seat. Got the '04 crew cab, they think its the greatest back seat ever! Keep your family together - get the crew cab!

BlackMax 2001
01-13-2005, 11:22
I bought a 2001 2500HD D/A Extend Cab. My son who is 6'3" and my mother who is 5'10" can ride in the back comfortably. On the other hand, my next one will be a CC.

saywhat
01-13-2005, 14:10
I believe the CC wheelbase is 10 inches longer than the EC.Getting into the CC there is not much room between the seat and pillar.Once seated it is a lot more comfortable.Safety wise the CC is much better with the door pillar.Ever seen an EC thats been tee-boned,I have and it is not pretty.Now I own the EC and like the shorter wheel base plus the the fact that the rear seat folds up,but everybodys got their own taste. Jim

ktmrfs
01-13-2005, 21:09
depends on what you want. When I first went looking I was convinced I wanted an extended cab. After looking at the extended and crew cabs I changed my mind in a second. for not much more $ I got something that lets 5 or 6 oadults ride in comfort with the crew cab. Or, fold the seats down and have lots of cargo room for suitcases riding gear etc. It is longer, but my garage is 30' deep, not a problem. I don't regret my decision one bit. My crew cab is a short box. Now if you want a long box, man, that crew cab long box is LONG. If I really needed a long box, I'd consider a extended cab just to get something that was easy to park.

On the other hand if you seldom carry more than two people with little luggage, the extended cab is fine.

For me, I think Iwould have regretted buying the extended cab.

96ccdd
01-14-2005, 08:55
I am on my second CC and would not have any other way, I also have 2 kids.

GMC Driver
01-15-2005, 09:39
Interesting topic. I currently have a 2000 K2500 crew-cab, with two small kids. I've owned it three years with no issues. It now has 100K miles, on a 454 - pretty thirsty. I thought I would keep this truck, but I have th opportunity to move to an 03 2500 HD ext. cab with low mileage, loaded, at an extremely good price. I plow snow with the 2000, and after three years, have found it is a good idea to replace them. My biggest concern is the sacrifice in room, as we really like the crew-cab for the space it provides.

dcalex
01-15-2005, 11:33
The Crew Cab gives you 6" more leg room over the Extended Cab plus the seat benches are deeper so you sit further back which makes the 6" all that more useful to extend your legs. If you can get away with the extra total length, the CC is the best way to go....the seats on the CC fold down to a platform just as the extended cabs do. Gotta watch the overall length if you have a standard 20' garage and need an 8' bed though.

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2005, 13:11
the seats on the CC fold down to a platform just as the extended cabs do The extended cabs rear seat bottom folds UP and onto the back. The seat back is stationary. On the CC, the bottom is stationary, and the seat back folds down onto the bottom.

I like the Excab, but wouldn't if I had a household of basketball players. It isn't bad at all on short trips for adults, but I wouldn't want to go coast to coast in the back seat. Wheelbase is a premium with me, so I had to go with the Ex and shortbed. No regrets here. The suicide rear doors can be inconvient when loading stuff into the back seat in a parking lot, but it's a very minor issue with me.

dcalex
01-15-2005, 17:42
The extended cabs rear seat bottom folds UP and onto the back. The seat back is stationary. On the CC, the bottom is stationary, and the seat back folds down onto the bottom. Yup....your right....bad case of brain fade there

The point we're both making is that both of them will give some cargo room for you

lburks
01-19-2005, 16:04
Picture going to the grocery store and you have a load of food in the basket.

Now picture trying to get that food into the back seat......

You would have to pick up a bag, go past the rear door, open the door, place the bag, close the door, get more, and repeat.

What a royal pita...........

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2005, 16:24
That's what I was refering to. It is a workable tradeoff in my case. It's not all that bad.

Dewey Faircloth
01-19-2005, 16:37
Had extended cab five years.
Now have a crew cab like it.
If stay around long enough to
need replacing it will be a
crew cab.
My wife will buy another one
if it has XM radio.She like
it about as good as a diesel.

WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!
ALL GAVE SOME
SOME GAVE ALL
In HONOR of
LCPL Bradley Faircloth

WanaDmxsub
01-19-2005, 20:23
Ext cab-4 year olds feet can reach the center console and the back of the seats.
Crew cab- feet don't reach. That's a good thing!!!

[ 01-20-2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: WanaDmxsub ]

sb359
01-22-2005, 10:27
Having the crew cab is like having the 4 wheel drive.It's worth it's weight in gold when you need it,especially on long trips with family or friends.A concern that i never thought about though when i purchased my truck was that the crew cab shortbox has a smaller fuel tank.Something to think about.

Heartbeat Hauler
01-24-2005, 07:31
I had a '94 crew cab dually and loved it, but it didn't fit in the garage and I had to park it in my pole barn. So, when I bought my '01 3500 I got the ext. cab to fit in the garage, what a mistake. If I ever get another truck it will be the crew cab. The ext cab doesn't have enough room for passengers or cargo so I would rather have the extra passenger space. Oh and by the way, my wife got a new Suburban so it's in the garage and my truck was sent to the pole barn.....I shoulda got the CC.
JP

Johnny Diesel
01-24-2005, 07:57
Like everything else-Pros and Cons. I had about 4 Extended cabs prior to just geeting my 2005 Chevy 2500Hd Crew 6 foot box. The room of the crew is nice especially with 3 kids like I have. The split folding rear seats are super nice for grocery cargo that usually ends up in the bed. I can flat floor the 2/3 seat and still have my son in the 1/3 seat and let the wife sit up front when I go pick her up from grocery shopping. Likewise I can have 2 kids and still grab some nice incab cargo space with the 1/3 folded down. Not an option on the Excab's. Seats either up or down, so groceries end up in the bed. Which sucks after having 1000 lbs of rock salt in it and stuff always rolls out. Also the crewcab is MUCH stiffer in cab design because of the center post for the rear doors. Also I would guess more structurally sound in a T Bone collision. No wind noise either like the Excabs. CONS- If you plow snow this thing is looooong. Also no plow prep on Duramax Crews,only 6.0 liter. Does not fit in most suburb garages. Sticks out alot at Walmart parking lot. Need more room to back up at Walmart. I haven't pulled my 31 foot travel trailer yet so I can't comment on backing up with that set up yet. Should be even more stable at highway speeds due to longer wheelbase though. If I didn't NEED the Crew, I would have stuck with Excab. Wind noise and all Its a nice set up. I don't miss opening the rear Excab doors though in parking lots beside other cars.My kids ended up trapped between the two doors with nowhere to go.

NutNbutGMC
01-24-2005, 17:01
If the extended cab meets your needs and budget, then that's the ticket.

Now, with that being said, I luVs my crew cab and could never envision anything other. It's an entire different application which allows for so much more usefulness without concern, such as is your original question.

Good luck and enjoy in any manner.

Hillbilly
01-24-2005, 17:22
I had a 2000 1500 Ext. Cab, traded for a 2003 2500 HD D/A Ext. cab, both had short box. I carry my grown daughter and 13 yr old grandson OK in it. I like the looks of the ext cab short box better and sometimes it does get cramped when parking. If I were driving long distances with back seat full more than I do now I might go for the crew cab.

Either way you will have a fine truck.

dcalex
01-29-2005, 18:13
Ext cab-4 year olds feet can reach the center console and the back of the seats.
Crew cab- feet don't reach. That's a good thing!!! Thats what I like about the captains seats....you can reach around and grab one of those legs :D :D :D