PDA

View Full Version : CHARCOAL GREY PAINT DURABILITY?

Fishnfool
06-20-2002, 19:24
How about some opinions on paint durability vs color choice. I have two relatives with a Pewter 01 D-Max and a Summit White 02 and I want to be different. Am considering the Med. Charcoal Grey but have not seen many older vehicles in this general shade holding up very well. I know everyone has their favorite color and opinion but this will be my 1st new truck purchase and I want my paint to last as I will probably be keeping my truck for 10 years at least. What colors do you think last the best?

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: Fishnfool ]</p>

AKDmax
06-20-2002, 21:50
Pretty hard to say what color will last the longest. Alot of variables involved, such as storage (indoors or out), how often you wash/wax. Protection with running boards and mudflaps will help with longevity. White seems to hold up fairly well. I have a 10 year old white car that still looks as good as the day I bought it. It's stored inside all the time, and rarely sits in the sun for extended periods. IMO, if you take good care of it with regular washes and waxes with a *quality* wax they will all last the same amount of time. I think the color you want is Storm Gray metallic. It's a good color, go for it! :cool:

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

AlaskaDmax
06-20-2002, 22:29
I do not know about the other colors but my summit white seems to be very brittle.
I am up to 30,000,000 chips on it and I do not think that I have "over tasked" the truck at all.

This is my only gripe about my truck.

Black Dog
06-21-2002, 07:48
Broker over at PUTC has an Onyx Black Dmax truck that he says the paint is peeling off really bad. Of course the truck has been on the road continually since he bought it, and it has almost 400,000 miles on it, but it is less than 2 years old.

mark45678
06-22-2002, 16:56
my last 2 trucks where white and they looked great after 3+ years! my new green truck seams to show every little scratch and ding..... Next truck will be back to a 8' bed and white! I dont really keep it clean like some do ,its washed about every 30~40 days in the summer and maybe a little more in the winter.

NFLDMAX
06-22-2002, 19:24
I've got the charcoal grey. so far, so good. Seems to chip pretty easy though

Piney
06-22-2002, 23:36
Fishnfool,

I understand your concerns about gray. I was told (by a paint & body guy) that gray is just "one of those colors that oxidizes easily" kinda like red. My dad's truck is black and is 10 years old. Paint looks new. Just take care of it...keep the wax on it and keep it out of the sunlight as much as you can. I personally like the gray because the fender flares are painted the same color as the rest of the truck. Gray looks good on these trucks!