PDA

View Full Version : Planned Mods- Questions and input please

MTTwister
12-26-2003, 16:47
Here's what I figure I need for starters.... '96 Auto

1. Exhaust - How much difference is there between the 3" and the 3 1/2" options? Benefits vs cost?

2. Air Filter - which is best - UniFoam? K&N? Air Box mods, of course.

3. 3 gauge pillar pod set - EGT, Boost, Tranny temp - Can I get away with a sensor up near the cooler? not the best place, but I don't think I want to 'drill' the tranny pan.. ( Recommendations on sources for the gauge set - just reading about ISSPRO EGT gauge 'failing'!

4. mechanical turbo boost dealie..

5. switch for high idle - since I don't have a PTO, just want a 'cool down' mode, do I need to go higher than 1075 rpm ( pin 8)?

6. Switch for the 50ohm tranny TCC lock up (once the dust has settled on that thread.) A wiring diagram would be nice for us "figuring out the wiring impaired" -- hint hint..

7. Home Brewed heavier wired light harness..

I believe it's an early 96 - don't have the 2 thermostat option - so probably the low flow H2O pump too - but not planning a lot of towing in the near future.

And for piece of mind - the PMD-FSD relocator kit - probably install in the cab, so's not to get too dirty re-torquing the dang deal ....

This runs into $$$ quick, huh? !!

Opinions Please. Thanks and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all..

EDIT 12/27- There may be Trailer Towing further down the time-line, so I'm planning around that. I appreciate the input - Happy New Year everyone.

[ 12-27-2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

rustypig
12-26-2003, 23:28
Wow...looks like you've been doing some homwork.

On a 96 (just my personal opinion only) I'd go with the following.

EXHAUST....the bigger the better if towing. I don't believe it ADDS as much power as it lets you use the power the mill already had without melting it down with high EGT's

AIR FILTER: Lot of debate here...any of the aftermarkets are better than OEM, just keep an eye on any "bypass dusting" getting by the intake seal and choose which poision works best for you.

GAUGES: (Boost, EGT and Tranny temp). An absolute must if you tow or like to run it real hard (I see you don't plan on towing though). It does add troubleshooting capability as well though. Plus it looks cool and is just nice info to know....just because.

COOLING MODS: For a city runner or soccer mom rig you might get by just running a cooler (180 degree) thermostat without ever needing more. However, the track record of the pre-97's (hi-flow cooling system) is marginal at best. If you ever plan on towing much I'd say doing the cooling mods are the best overall insurance investment for longevity.
mechanical turbo boost dealie..

SWITCH FOR HIGH IDLE: Personal choice IMHO, depending on the ambiemt temp you live in. Cheap to do though...

Heavier wired light harness...Something I've yet to do, but do intend to....there is a lot of current running off the headlight switch which needs to be releaved and an aftermarket setup can really improve overall headlight performance a whole bunch (two seperate issues though).

The PMD-FSD KIT: Probably another "must do" eventually. FSD/PMD's aren't cheap and do fail. A lot of members have made their own cooling heat sinks and wiring extensions. Kind of depends on how handy you are and how much time you want to put into it. I personally made my own extension and adapted a large heat sink for this.....been working for two years now without any problems...knock on wood.

Just my humble opion(s) though. You'll see a few of those around here, but it comes down to what you do with your rig, the time/money you have to play with and how long you want to keep it as well. It looks like you've been doing your homework which if the most important part. Good luck....

[ 12-26-2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: rustypig ]

tanker
12-27-2003, 03:56
Well here goes my humble opinions:
Exhaust: I'm running a 4" hybrid system. Do I need 4"? No. But it does look like business. Restrictions are what you want to avoid. I would go with a Kennedy 3-1/2" system, the one that fits without a lot of hassle. If nothing else, at least replace the deformed stock OEM downpipe, that alone will give you more power.
Airfilter: Another good choice for more power, go with a K&N or Amsoil washable reuseable filter.
Gauges: I have a 3 pillar mount (had a two then went with a three) I have two sender's, one in the outlet cooling line,(from trans to cooler) and one in the return cooling line, (from cooler to trans) with a selector switch to see whats going out (HOT) and whats returning,(COOL) That way you know how much heat your cooler's are extracting from the ATF. How often do you change your fluid? A 4l80E transmission is an expensive piece of equipment to replace. I'm at 140,000+ miles on mine and a lot is towing, I keep it cool with four (4) coolers, and change the complete fluid each year all 17 quarts and filter. Oil is cheap insurance. If you don't tow and you just bought the truck, do a complete fluid and filter change, for peace of mind.
I have 7 Isspro guages and never had a problem with any of them.
Mechanical boost: I now have the "Turbo-Master" mechanical boost control. It does eliminate a lot of components that cause boost failure.
High idle: I don't have one, but yes it can be done, I'm sure some will enter on this one.
TCC Lockup: I'm using the "BD" Torq-Loc as I also have the exhaust brake. This will also keep trans temps low. Heat in a transmission is generated when the converter is unlocked.
Headlight booster: I have purchased one from Kennedy as well, it was simple and I just love the brightness, both on high and low beams. Yes you can make your own, but I thought it was simple to just buy it.
FSD cooler: Yes go with this, and mount it in a cool place with a good heat sink. This has caused more pumps to be replaced over the years then was needed.
Wish you well on your project. Do your homework, and you will be fine. ;)

a5150nut
12-27-2003, 09:50
MTTwister
Deffenitly want to go with headlite mods. I have a 94 and the first time I got in snow, I was running low beams in traffic. Got out on the open road and turned on the brights. It was like no lites at all. The plastic lite housings run so cool the high side had iced over. I fixed mine by adding a relay that kicks in the low beams with the high beams. Also elininates the dark area just infront of you with high beams on.

Bobbie Martin
12-27-2003, 17:52
2 - If you have the plate style filter air box, I recommend you get a later model round filter air box assembly. They seal much better. Then you can get whatever type filter you want. I use a K&N, there are usually several of them on ebay as they fit some gas trucks as well.
3 - I don't know that you really need a trans temp if you don't tow, but you can get a transmission pan from the dealer (for a 4L80E - PN 8685921) with a factory drain plug. Then you could put the temp sensor in the plug hole. Makes it a bunch easier to change the trans fluid as well!
7 - Its pretty easy and worthwhile to rewire the headlights. You might consider going all the way and change to Cibie lights as well. You can get everything you need at Daniel Stern Lighting (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/)

[ 12-27-2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Bobbie Martin ]