PDA

View Full Version : Finally had a real test of pulling power

Maverick
06-21-2002, 23:45
Took a load of lumber, plywood, and metal roofing to Soldotna, AK from Anchorage today. There are several good pulls through Turnagain Pass. Tourist season is in full swing and everybody and their brother is up in Alaska with their RV's. I was gaining on this RV and when I got about 2 lengths behind I downshifted into 3rd and stayed at 53mph. Got next to the RV and what do you know, its a 2002 Dodge Ext cab dually with a humming Cummins. I waved as I went by and he shrugged his shoulders. I had about 3-5 mph on him as I passed. He had maybe a 27ft 5th wheel. I had one and it weighed about 9,000 with all our junk in it. His truck is probably around 7K. Thats 16K. I got to Sterling, AK and went across the scale and I came in at 24,900lbs gross. Almost 9K more weight and passed him on a 7-8% grade. :eek: Gotta laugh real loud!!!!!! :D
I didn't even have the Juice on. It goes on permanently on Sunday when the gauges get put in. Just to busy this week to get them in sooner. 74,115 miles and still running strong. Its only 15 months old.

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

AKDmax
06-21-2002, 23:54
Good job Mav! Did the same last week to a F*&^ on Thompson pass. Have you ever pulled the Alcan in the winter? I have to leave the state in Feb. and want to pull my TT out. You have my e-mail, send me a little info if you can. Headed down to Willow creek for the 4th weekend, hopefully will get down to your neck of the woods then.

mackin
06-22-2002, 05:44
You guys better stop this . Rumors are gonna fly .... Please save time and post your VIN when you post such outstanding claims, like this ...... Oh wait this is the wrong forum, for that, we believe you .... Disregard ...... Carry on .........Haul on ....... Beep, Beep .......
---------------------------

MAC tongue.gif

[ 06-22-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
06-22-2002, 07:20
^.....Mackin... You rock. You always have a solution... Even for the mini-vans. LMAO.... I'm glad my truck is much sexier than a d@mn mini-van.... :D

Flyboy
06-22-2002, 18:09
I can't stand it no longer. I've got to meet that Mackin guy!!

Chris N5CWM
06-23-2002, 14:12
Wow! I'm so impressed!

What did you expect? Just wait till the 2003
Cummins 305/555 comes out and the playing field
will be a bit more "level". :D

You've got 55 more HP and 40 more Ft Lbs plus
a heckuva lot better automatic tranny to your
advantage.

I'm not a bit suprised you passed with 4 MPH
but it sounds like you had a lot of speed going
when you pulled out to make the pass too.

Zzzzzzzzip! ;)
(Sound of Flame retardant suit being zipped up)

[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: Chris N5CWM ]</p>

Maverick
06-23-2002, 19:04
This is about a 5 mile pull I am talking about. I started at the bottom doing 65 and ended up at 53 at the top. The Dodge boy had the same advantage. I still heard they were going to install Dodge tranny repair facilities every 50 miles on the interstate system. Playing field will never be level. Duramax will always rule the mountains. :D

IndigoDually
06-23-2002, 20:37
Now fight nice boys!! Lookout "Big Brother" is probably watching. :D :D

I just want 4.10's !! Then We you will really know what time it is!

John

7mmSTW
06-23-2002, 23:24
4:10's would be nice w/ the 6th gear. Have the first five only work in T/H mode and 2-6 in normal mode. That would be HARD to beat!!

Later

Seven

JLee
06-24-2002, 07:50
Maverick - when you downshifted to 3rd to pass that guy, did you happen to notice what RPM you were turning? I towed in the mountains (Colorado)for the first time this weekend - couple of 7% grades. Not very heavily loaded - my trailer probably doesn't weigh more than 7500lbs or so. Gotta get weighed!! I notice the rpms really seem to run up quickly. I did all of it in 4th and usually ran around 65 or a bit slower with rpm's at 2700 or so. As folks mentioned, the rpm's really jump up there when tow/haul downshifts going downhill. On the return trip I didn't use tow/haul except going downhill - seems to work better with my lighter trailer. Like everyone else, I found the only limiting factor climbing the passes is getting everyone else out of the way ;)

Maverick
06-24-2002, 10:29
JLee,
It runs at approx. 3,000 rpm. The shift point between 3rd and 4th gear is 53-54 mph. It will run all day and pull like crazy at the top of third gear. I have to be over 30K GCVW to get pulled down slower than that on the same type of grade.

jeff800
09-14-2003, 16:24
Originally posted by Maverick:
Took a load of lumber, plywood, and metal roofing to Soldotna, AK from Anchorage today. There are several good pulls through Turnagain Pass. Tourist season is in full swing and everybody and their brother is up in Alaska with their RV's. I was gaining on this RV and when I got about 2 lengths behind I downshifted into 3rd and stayed at 53mph. Got next to the RV and what do you know, its a 2002 Dodge Ext cab dually with a humming Cummins. I waved as I went by and he shrugged his shoulders. I had about 3-5 mph on him as I passed. He had maybe a 27ft 5th wheel. I had one and it weighed about 9,000 with all our junk in it. His truck is probably around 7K. Thats 16K. I got to Sterling, AK and went across the scale and I came in at 24,900lbs gross. Almost 9K more weight and passed him on a 7-8% grade. :eek: Gotta laugh real loud!!!!!! :D
I didn't even have the Juice on. It goes on permanently on Sunday when the gauges get put in. Just to busy this week to get them in sooner. 74,115 miles and still running strong. Its only 15 months old. Ok I know this is an old post, but I was doing a search for info on 4:10 gears and this popped up. You have to be real dense how can you even make the assumption(s) you did. Maybe the guys trailer was loaded down with 9000 lbs of firewood, or he was hauling 60 hunting buddies. Or maybe he was just enjoying the scenery listening to the hum of his Cummins and didn't give hoot who our what passed him. Gotta laugh real loud at guys like you.

[ 09-14-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: jeff800 ]

BlueOx03
09-14-2003, 18:41
Okay, I'll bite, what's your point?

afp
09-14-2003, 18:49
Jeff,

There is litle to be gained by bringing up a year old post and belittling the original poster. This is not an impressive way to introduce yourself here. There are many ways to point out the error of assuming too much without berating someone in the process.

Blaine

BlueOx03
09-14-2003, 18:53
My thoughts exactly with a little extra. Thanks for putting it into words Blaine.

TJ

FirstDiesel
09-15-2003, 02:15
Seems to me you would have thought out your first post a little better than this. If you had asked questions and thought this through you might have found out who Maverick is and what he does for a living. As for the other guy having 60 buddies in his trailer or a load of fire wood?? Really??? Please!!!!

BTW, welcome aboard and I hope your future posts are better mannered. :rolleyes:

jeff800
09-15-2003, 07:16
Ok: I certainly could have said that better I was having a bad day. I may have put a sour note in that post, but that is no excuse for bad forum manners. I don't know Maverick so I retract the dense comment.
What I was trying to get at is the fact that if we blow buy someone with a different rig than ours maybe we shouldn't assume we have the better rig. Unless we know all the facts ( trailer weighs (x)amount, he had his foot to the floor,ect.) Sure 60 people in the trailer is stretching it. I do know someone who gutted most of his fifth wheel and added metal racks to hold all his welding supplies and material. He added about 6500 lbs to the overall weight of his fifth wheel.
Anyway sorry if I ruffled anyone's feather's.

DmaxMaverick
09-15-2003, 07:22
:rolleyes:

wushaw
09-15-2003, 18:16
Maverick,
I have a question.
What kind of eng. and tranny temperatures do you encounter while loaded at or above GCWR on 7% or greater grades?

MAV
09-16-2003, 05:22
The engine always ran at 190. The fan would come on but never got any hotter. The tranny always ran 190-195 also while on the highway and while pulling these mountains. City driving that heavy would cause the tranny gauge to go to 200 or a hair over. The gauge is not very accurite as far as accual temps go. Use the gauge to spot trends in your truck. My 2500HD tranny runs alot cooler than my 3500 did. Its just the way the gauge acts.

Maybe the guys trailer was loaded down with 9000 lbs of firewood, or he was hauling 60 hunting buddies. I don't know of many people that would travel to Alaska with a RV full of firewood. He did have out of state plates and did gesture that he was trying his best when I passed him. This was a long time ago.

wushaw
09-16-2003, 12:01
Maverick,
Thanks for the info.