PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

01F350SRW
11-18-2002, 17:27
My buddy has on 02' Dmax, and has noticed the thin sheet metal problem associated w/ those trucks. He had Rhino Liner sprayed under the bed rails 3/8" thick to stiffen them up b/c of palm prints in the tops of them just like some of you guys decribe. I notice the metal on my 03 seems to be stiffer than his, exept for one part, the hood, the 03 hood was stiffer, but then I replaced the front end back to the 02 style. My question is this, b/c we are both wondering what can be done, Rhino liner was sprayed to stiffen the bed rails, whatta bout removing the insulation and spraying the underside of the hood about 1/4" to stiffen it up a bit. What effect does heat have on bed liners? What do you guys think? Opinions would be appreciated.

F350

01F350SRW
11-19-2002, 15:29
Anybody.......Puhweeeeeeeeze :D

chuntag95
11-19-2002, 16:46
I'll give you my 0.02, but that might be over priced. It should "stiffen" the hood, but it will also add quite a bit of weight to the hood. Because of the heat, the liner with cure faster and become brittle more quickly than the bed. The stuff is always curing (it never stops) and the means harder and more brittle. It might pop off after a while, but then again, it might not. Don't know how the springs would hold up with the extra weight. Have you considered getting one of the steel cowl induction hoods? They would be stiffer than the original Chevy, I would think.

Well, I hope you get your money's worth out of this. :D ;) tongue.gif :cool:

Kennedy
11-19-2002, 17:00
If you go too thick the hood will fall on your head if not propped up...

GM Smitty
11-19-2002, 18:46
Ouch!

Paintdude
11-19-2002, 18:56
They make self adhesive sound deading panels..They come in 1 ft squares and are sticky backed..You can order them from most any auto paint store..Cut to fit then apply..We use them alot on door skin repairs..Keeps the door from sounding like a tin can and they stiffen up things also..

spray liner stuff may be a good thing to use, I just have never used it like that..

01F350SRW
11-19-2002, 19:08
Thanks for the replys guys, I don't really want an after market steel cowl induction hood, b/c I havent seen one yet that has the bulge and the beastlyness of the OEM hood, but if they make one that look like the big OEM hood, I would appreaciate someone to point a finger for me somewhere. It would be the 3rd hood for this truck :rolleyes: but oh well, I would really just like to stiffen up the 02' Hood. I talked to a guy today about spraying it w/ liner, but he suggested to stay less than a quarter inch to cut down on weight like some of guys said, that would be painfull on the top of my head, also he came up w/ his own theory, he suggested spraying the hollow braces that run the inside of the hood with a hardening foam......I don't know about this, but then again it could work :confused: ? I'm visiting the Rhino liner dealer Thursday and talk to him about the heat issues.

F350

Paintdude
11-19-2002, 19:17
Click on my homepage loink at the bottom and see a steel cowl induction hood on a Duramax...