PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Wiring to Fancy Mirror

AbqGeorge
11-18-2002, 22:49
I'm installing a "Smartire" tire pressure/temperature monitoring system on my '03 Silverado.

www.smartire.com

The little display unit will fit very nicely into the overhead console. I need to pick up a switched +12 lead and a ground in the overhead console. My voltmeter tells me that the yellow wire going to the mirror has +12 with the ignition on.

Helm doesn't have '03 manuals yet and I let my manuals go with the '01 I just sold.

Could someone take a look at their schematics and verify the yellow wire has switched 12v and where a ground wire is? I sure would appreciate it.

That fancy mirror has something like 16 wires going to it!!! Phew!

Thanks,
George

mdrag
11-19-2002, 00:29
AbqGeorge,

I was looking at the Smartire monitoring system when I was working on my 19.5" conversion - and was thinking of using the overhead console space also :eek: ...I decided to hold off until they came out with the sensors for higher tire pressures. The current sensors max out at 78 psi - which is at the upper range of normal cold tire inflation pressures for the load range E tires.

Here is a copy of the email I sent to Smartire on 03/26/02:

=================================================

"I'm very interested in the SmarTire monitoring system for my '01 Chevrolet
3500 1 ton dually pick-up. I noticed the max psi reading on the system is 78
psi. The max tire pressure on the load range E tires on my truck is 80 psi.

The website mentions a 150 psi version for commercial vehicles is under
development. Any information on that system? Should I consider the 78 psi
system? Thanks."

And the reply from Smartire the next day:

"I do not have a release date for our second generation commercial vehicle
system. Please check back periodically at our website at www.smartire.com
for news about new product releases or else if you prefer I can have you
added to our news release email list so you will have information on new
product releases as soon as the information becomes public.

I would not recommend that you put our passenger car system on your dually
truck as it was not intended or tested for that use.

If you have any questions or require additional information I can be reached
at 888-982-3001.

Sincerely,

Shelley Lammers
Customer Service Manager"

Here are the terminal descriptions from the 2001 Helm manual for the inside rearview mirror with compass, temperature, and Onstar:

Inside Rearview Mirror W/Compass/Temperature/Onstar
Connector part information
16-Way F Metri-Pack 280 Series - BLACK

1-2 -- -- Not Used
3 DK BLU 2307 Passenger Air Bag On Indicator Control
4 DK GRN 2308 Passenger Air Bag Off Indicator Control
5 GRY 1690 Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal
6 DK GRN/WHT 636 Outside Air Temperature Sensor Signal
7 BLK/WHT 1704 Low Reference
8 BLK 1850 Ground
9 LT GRN 1324 Backup Lamp Supply Voltage
10 -- -- Not Used
11 DK GRN/WHT 2514 Keypad Signal
12 LT GRN/BLK 2515 Keypad Supply Voltage
13 PNK 39 Ignition 1 Voltage
14 YEL/BLK 2516 Keypad Green LED Signal
15 BRN/WHT 2517 Keypad Red LED Signal
16 PNK 1691 Automatic Day/Night Mirror Low Reference

Good luck with the install. Let me know how it goes - pics always appreciated. :D

Kennedy
11-19-2002, 08:36
Personally, I'd suggest running a wire down to the fuse panel for your power so as not to disrupt anything up in the console. While you are at it, run the ground as well.

AbqGeorge
11-19-2002, 20:45
mdrag,
Thanks for the pinout.... Hmmmmm, no solid yellow, +12 seems to be a pink wire. Me thinks the 2001 mirror is totally different than the '03. '03 doesn't have air bag indicator in it?? Just compass, temp, and electrochromic feature (dimming).

Should have mentioned that I'm installing this to monitor my fifth wheels' tires. 15" load Range C, Cold inflation 50 psi. When they come out with the higher pressure senders, I hope they'll be compatible. Just might consider putting them IN the truck tires.

It was interesting. I had preprogrammed the display unit to recognize the senders. I had the display unit plugged into a lighter socket and just laying on the dash. From 150' away, the display unit would alarm everytime the balancer spun one of the tires up. I had preprogrammed a 45 psi alarm and they had only inflated them to 40 psi. Cool!

kennedy,
The display only draws about 80 ma normally and around 110 ma when alarming. I haven't investigated running my own copper from up there. How are the gauge folks doing this. Can you fish a wire without taking down the headliner? Been there, done that with radio antenna coax. Not fun.

Thanks for the response(s).