PDA

View Full Version : Jiffi-tite loose?

ruspoe03
01-19-2005, 17:14
Did my Allison fluid change which included flush and deep-pan install. Project was a bit intimidating but went very smoothly thanks to Hoot and others out there that share info on this forum.
One question for the experts. The 5/8 cooler line, which came apart and went back together easily during the flush, seems loose. However, it doesn't leak a drop. Tried researching it on the web but found no explanation. I'm the type of person that can not leave something alone if I don't understand it. I want to take it apart again and see how it works so I can feel better about the fact that it is so loose. The other three connections, one at the trans. and two at the cooler (on the radiator), seem much more tight. The removal and re-install of the line went just how it was described on the forum. It was pushed in fully and snapped into place, just like it was supposed to. Like I said, hasn't leaked a drop but I just don't feel good about the fact that it feels so loose.
Can someone please put my mind to rest and explain how these "jiffy-tite" connections work so I don't go and take it apart again to figure it out myself. It would save me from making a big mess and wasting that expensive Synthetic fluid I installed.
Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2005, 17:51
Ruspoe03

Welcome to The Diesel Page!

Your's is normal. The coupling relies on a soft seal, not metal to metal, like a flare. It is actually beneficial, being that it is not rigid. Rigid couplings, if not designed and installed properly, are vulnerable to stress failure. I've heard of a couple that have leaked, or disconnected unexpectedly. I've heard of none that have just "blown apart" when properly installed. Just don't lose that little clip!

ruspoe03
01-19-2005, 18:11
Thank you DmaxMaverick for the info. I understand it's sealed by a soft seal or an o-ring but don't understand why the "cooler-in" line on the trans., that I used for the flush, seems loose while the other jiffy-tite connections that I can get to ( cooler-out, and the cooler itself, in front of the radiator ) seem tight/snug. The connection moves side to side and in and out but is retained by the little "C" shaped clip on the fitting itself.

Have searched the Jiffi-Tite sight for more info but was unsuccessful. Does anyone have a link to an exploded diagram or some similar drawing of the parts inside the fitting. I keep thinking maybe there is an o-ring missing or something. I guess it just worries me to think that, with all the vibration of the motor and the fact that it moves so freely, it could spring a leak during a long trip, leaving me stranded in the middle of no where. Has anyone else out there noticed if their cooling lines are snug or loose, like mine?

Thanks again to anyone with info.

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2005, 18:25
Check the clamps that hold the line between the tranny and cooler. One may be missing or loose. Your condition still doesn't sound abnormal. Mine are pretty loose, and have been since new. I, too did the "cooling line flush", twice now and haven't seen mine any other way, nor have I had any problems. If it goes back together, doesn't leak under pressure and temp. fluctuations, it should be OK.

Perhaps you have one that is tighter than normal??

I'm sure one of the tech's will chime in and put your worries to rest, or scare the he!! out of you.

Good luck!

madmatt
01-22-2005, 18:27
it's just normal to have some that are tighter/looser then others, due to slight thickness variation @ mfg.