PDA

View Full Version : My NSBU experience + ?

Sliderhd
01-22-2005, 09:29
I jumped in my first diesel truck the pther day and fired it up and it would only barely move forward!?! I have been a member of this forum for a while since I bought the truck. I immediately knew it was "the switch" by how it was acting. I did not even hook up my diag. deader. I called all local dealers and had the "we can order it for you" answer. They all wanted $162.17 for it also. Well I did as all posts said and found an Allison dealer withn a 1.5 hour drive. He had 8 switches @ $54.02 each. I bought two. I have been mainly a lurker because this is my first diesel. So far I am really impressed with it. 2002CC DRW D/A. Thanx to all that post here for saving me many $s. Now for my question. The new switch has a nipple between the connector plug ins. This port is open and seems to be a vent. Do I put a small piece of hose on it and run it out of the way or let it be? Again Many Thanx to all the expertise on ths site.

madmatt
01-22-2005, 18:43
can't say that I've noticed what your talking about. I wouldn't think it would be a vent, but who knows, i don't. When replacing those switches I fill every crevice w/ dielectric grease, then smear a little more on just for good measures.

More Power
01-23-2005, 09:53
There are several ways to deal with a "vent" like this. If you ford streams or drive through deep standing water, I'd run a vent tube. Otherwise, a vent tube could actually cause more problems than it might solve. Moisture in the air could condense inside the tube then be funneled back into the switch. Capping the vent with a semi porous filter could trap more moisture at the vent opening - and be there for a longer period of time.

Tough call to make..... I plan to run it like it came. Switch replacment is relatively easy and inexpensive. I've not had one fail yet in more than 4-years, but I'm open to new info. Perhaps the newest service manuals will have more to say.....

MP

Jomar
01-23-2005, 19:18
I just changed out the NSBU switch yesterday and noticed the little hose nipple sticking out the back and since there was not anything in the directions about it, I just forgot about it. I`ll say one thing though, if not for my wife`s hair dryer I don`t think I could have got the electrical plugs out without damaging them. BTW, the new switch cost $ 44.45 at local Ally dealer.
Also I was there during lunch hr. and no one knew anything about a new style switch that is supposed to be coming out.

crazy dave
02-07-2005, 17:33
nipple is nothing. put one in today, mech from detroit deisel/allison service told me when he and i where looking at it.their #is 18648770935