PDA

View Full Version : Camper carrying capacity for the 2500HD

Fishnfool
06-23-2002, 23:05
Will possibly be ordering my 2003 D-Max Ex.Cab L.Bed this week and will be buying a camper for it next year. Since I have no experience with campers thought I would ask what is the practical wet weight of a camper for a 2500HD in the above configuration. I guess I'm not sure whether I should buy a 3500 dually instead. My guess on weight on camper I would be buying is 2500-3500 lbs. Thanks - Dave

RWB
06-24-2002, 04:08
This has been a topic of discussion here before. When I decided to buy one of these trucks, I planned on a 2500HD. Fortunately, I decided to camper shop first and discovered most "comfortable" truck campers would push GVWR to the limit or exceed it. THEN you would have to add the weight of people and gear to the equation. I decided the 3500 was the smart choice and boy am I glad I did. I wound up with an 11.5 ft. Arctic Fox truck camper that weighs about 4000 lb. and my dually doesn't mind it a bit :D Once you get used to the extra size of a dually, you'll love the extra payload capacity.

One other thing: I've heard they improved the factory camper mirrors, but I don't know. I got the factory power mirrors when I bought my truck and replaced them with Lucerix power heated mirrors which was the way to go in 2001.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: RWB ]</p>

Fishnfool
06-24-2002, 06:29
RWB

How is the ride of your truck empty? Have been told that I wont like unladen ride of the K3500 vs the K2500. Do you know if there are any ways to tame ride when empty but not reduce carrying capacity? I think a dually would work for me if it didn't beat me up too much driving empty. :(

Dave

RWB
06-25-2002, 04:18
Dave,

To be perfectly honest, ride quality was not evan a concern when I bought my truck. If I HAD to qualify the ride, I'd have to say "it's a little harsh" (Bill Murray, Caddyshack) when empty. However, the ride quality doesn't bother me a bit since most of my driving is on at least decent roads. As for ride improvements, I don't know what works since I haven't tried any. Many months back this was a topic of much discussion here and a search might turn up some good info for you.

Road Kill
06-25-2002, 11:57
Fishing Fool: I have a 2002, 3500, for the reasons your thinking about. I have a 3500# slid-in and am very glad I went with the one ton. It is a little rough when not loaded. I added Rancho 9000 shocks an that helped a lot. I run them on setting 3 both front and rear when empty, and it is a big help. I don't know if the 2500 HD rides better or not. My 1st concern was hauling the slid-in safely with enough power to pull my boat. This truck delivers. I don't find the ride to be that bad, and I do hit some rough roads. If I could just find a car wash that would handle the big D. It would be total bliss. Hope this helps a little. You are asking the right questions, good luck and good fishing. tongue.gif

jphauler
06-25-2002, 20:59
If this helps,I have a 2350# slide in and I am hauling with a 2500 shortbed crewcab d/a.Truck hauls it just fine even with 6000# trailer in tow.My truck does have air lift air bags for sway control.If your slide in is going to be over 2500# order the 3500.My ride got harsh when i installed my air bags (have to keep them at min. pressure req. 5psi)before the install the truck rode as smooth as a car.So if I did t over again I would just get the 3500 to start with and have the capacity to carry any slide in unit.