PDA

View Full Version : Dont pass plows

ssybert
01-24-2005, 10:58
Well I really did it this time. I mean made a real mess out of my beautiful DMax.

During the blizzard we had here Saturday night I was heading down to drop off some stuff at a friends house and to goto a concert (NO it wasn't canceled... can't believe it). While merging onto the highway there were about 8-10 plows infront of me getting ready to do a once-over across the whole highway. When the fron't plow got to the end of the ramp, he pulled tight right and stopped. After about 15 seconds all their 4-ways went on. After another 20-30 seconds I decided I was going around them. I figured they were stopped and waiting for more plows or something.

when I got to the end of the ramp where there is a concrete triangle between the ending ramp and the begining highway there was a plow with a wing up so I moved a little further left... Apparently this triangle was a raised one and not the slotted one. No problem... now I'm up on the curb going about 10 mph and stuck... one wheel on each side. Still no problem.. i'll just ride it to the end and I'll be fine.

Well usually there's a little reflector at the end of these things... this one didn't have one... Uncommon? I dont know. I didn't think so. BANG!!!!!!!!!! The reflector wasn't there but hidden under the snow the 1-foot stump they mount it to was there. I tore the transmission crossmember off the frame almost completely, broke my transfer case servo and an now stuck in 4wd and tore half the mount off my Alli. Good thing is I think replacing the cross member and mount for the Alli will fix everything. The servo looks like it can be fixed once the mangled up crossmember is removed. Thank GOD it didn't wack my tranfercase or rear end. Impact speed... about 10-15 mph. What a friggin mess.

moral of the story... Wait patiently behind the plows while they come to a complete stop on an ON RAMP for no apparent reason. :mad:

markrinker
02-07-2005, 12:28
Ouch! That must have made quite a noise.

ssybert
02-09-2005, 14:07
I still can't believe it did the damage it did. I ended up needing the frame straightened. What a disaster. Still ran and drove me home without any problems...aside from not being able to get 'er out of 4wd. :rolleyes: