PDA

View Full Version : To Junk or Repair ??

BRIM
07-25-2005, 14:46
Block is cracked in cylinder wall drivers side rear. Do they sleeve these or is it trash ??
No other cracks located in any of the "stress" areas. Ideas? Wrecking yard block or just spend the cash & get back on the road? It is a 929 by the way. Thanks Guys.

marktara
07-25-2005, 21:05
How do you know its cracked? My 98 seems to be pressuring up rad and I've had drivers head off 2 times but can't see any cracks and head tests good.

john8662
07-25-2005, 22:31
BRIM,

The 929 block is NOT a oil spray piston cooler block, so thats odd that you have a cracked cylinder wall but not any cracks along the outside bolt holes on the main webs.

Either way, thats somewhat of an odd occurance on the 929 block.

But on the other hand, with the 98, it has the 506 block that does incorporate the oil spray piston coolers and they tend to crack. When the crack, they generally start at the main web and travel up into the cylinder bore, allowing coolant into the crankcase and mixing with the oil.

If you've found NO cracks on the main webs by removing the crank and main caps and examining them. Then you could possibly sleeve the one hole thats cracked, where is it cracked on the bore?

Hansh
07-26-2005, 07:39
My 929 block had cracks in the main webs.

BRIM
07-30-2005, 05:01
Sorry Guys, Out of town & just got online.

My 929 block has the crack in the cylinder wall near the top. It shoots down the wall almost like a lighting strike for about 2" At least to my naked eye, else it is one hell of a scratch. Why does coolant beat things up so bad? I will look at my options: Another block, order a long block or ???. My truck is otherwise mechanical sound, almost new interior, less a powerplant.
Not towing a thing at the moment.