View Full Version : Intermediate steering shaft-- steering rattle.

David Proske
01-27-2005, 01:31
I took my truck in to have the loose steering and steering rattle fixed. The serivce writer I talked to when I droped the truck off seemed up to date on the issue, and knew of the Intermediate Shaft and fix.

When I picked up the truck he wasn't there. The invoice I got said that the steering shaft was dry, and they removed and lubed it.

Also states front crossmember was noisy; repaired front crossmember.

I asked another feller in there and he said he was told by GM that the shaft wasn't available.

I will call and talk to the service writer. Folks here have had the shaft installed in 10-04 so I don't see why it wouldn't be available now.

Also states front crossmember was noisy; states crossmember was repaired.

I am going to call them in the morning and go WTF!!

I will inform them of the new TSB and go from there. Even though he seemed aware of it when I dropped the truck off. I will not put up with a half A#$ repair for a problem as well known as this.

Anyone know what they mean by noisy crossmember? Nothing under there was loose when I took it in. I grease and check the front end every 5K.

[ 01-27-2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: David Proske ]

ADub
01-27-2005, 07:07
I took a previous truck in for the same problem last year. First time they lubed it. Problem went away for 2 weeks. Then they said I needed a new intermediate shaft. It took about 7 weeks to get the new shaft. It got better, but didn't go away. I ended up trading it in.

MIKE MOG
01-27-2005, 16:18
I KNOW THE IS A UPDATED SHAFT AND IT HAS BEEN ON BACK ORDER HERE IN CLEVELAND. MAYBE THATS WHY THEY DID A TEMPERARY REPAIR. I HAD MINE DONE ON MY LAST TRUCK 3 TIMES BEFORE THEY CAME OUT WITH THIS UP DATE.
MIKE M

David Proske
01-27-2005, 21:51
I called the dealer today (Beck & Masten North in Houston) and the service writer said that GM informed them to not replace the internediate shaft, just to lube it. I told him that I had the latest TSB which states to replace the shaft with a updated part. He still claimed that TSB was old and that GM recently said to just lube it and that GM is working on a updated part.

Anyone here work in a GM service center & knows the current information?

jbplock
01-28-2005, 02:06
I seem to remember reading that the lastest TSB was modified. It says to do the lube fix if the new shaft is not available. Seems the the new shatfs are in short supply so GM modified the TSB. I friend at work took his Suburban in for the steering clunk and the dealer lubed the shaft but told him they would replace it as soon as they received the new ones.

smile.gif

oyazi
01-28-2005, 15:29
Visiting folks in Boerne TX and had a warranty issue done. While there, complained of the steering clunk and they replaced the shaft and was on my way the very next day ~ Was I just lucky or what?

Gotta say that it feels much better ~ tighter, no clunk/rattle but hard to believe it was only the shaft ~ suspect they adj'd the box also. Its just too good ~ me be happy!

madmatt
01-28-2005, 15:44
Document ID# 1558063
2003 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003G - (Oct 22, 2004)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel (Lubricate the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer / TrailBlazer EXT, GMC Envoy / Envoy XL / Envoy XUV or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to notify dealers that it is acceptable to service the intermediate shaft with Lubrication Kit P/N 26098419 until sufficient inventory of the replacement intermediate shaft part numbers become available from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003F (Section 02 -- Steering).

SHOPMAN426
01-28-2005, 18:23
I talked with the service yo yo back in early November and haven't heard from him since. He said they had a long list of vehicles to change out the shaft. I've had the lube job, doesn't fix anything. It's comming up on two years since I first took it in. Amazing.

Shopman426.
Mike. :confused: :confused: :confused:

SHOPMAN426
01-28-2005, 18:28
Almost forgot, GMC sent me a questionnaire asking for my input. I'm going to let them have it! Problem is, they will just throw it away. I have never recieved a call from one of those things. It maybe time to find a new service dealer.

Shopman426.
Mike

:mad: :mad: :mad:

madmatt
01-29-2005, 10:16
if the shaft is lubed right it will fix it for awhile. GM sent a letter ripping all the techs azzs because they realized most techs were just taking the bottom bolt out, sliding the shaft up and squirting the grease in. that doesn't do nearly as good of job as removing it all the way. if it need lubed again before your new shaft is in, make sure they remove it completly and grease it properly.

budloar3
01-31-2005, 13:55
Not to belabor the point, but they had over 300,000 of these shafts on backorder nationwide according to my dealer and I do trust my dealer. I did receive a non-solicited we're sorry letter from GM last week which is good for a free oil, lube and filter service. So I'll at least give them the credit for trying to achnowledge the problem to their customers. We'll see how much longer it takes to fix this irritating problem.

Bud

2003 2500HD Duramax
Fire Engine Red Baby!

mattb5150
02-02-2005, 22:31
Went in to dealer a few weeks ago and discussed the latest shaft replacement with service manager. He said parts are backorderd several weeks as well. Says he can't do mine for free because I haven't complained since they replaced the bearing 2.5 years ago. Told me to call GM.

Called GM today and they give me the same story its not under warranty as I have 85k miles on truck even thought they never built the truck right in the first palce and I had previous work done at 22,049 mi. while it was under warranty! GM rep says he will contact service manager and get back to me. I told him I would take this into consideration the next time I'm in the market for a vehicle. Didn't tell him I bought a VW TDI Passat a few weeks ago. 40+ MPG.

sb359
03-22-2005, 09:05
finally - intermediate steering shaft fixed.this part had been on order since nov 26th.replaced on mar 21st along with new tailgate cables.service for both was 1/2 hour shop time

Inspector
03-24-2005, 15:55
I had the infamos steering rattle and took it in the dealer and they got me in last Thurs. and replaced the intermediate shaft. Took about 4 days from the time I reported it to the fix.
Denny :D

DIESELMAX403
03-26-2005, 09:33
I took mine to GMC Weisner in Conroe Texas and they replaced it in 1 day. I guess I was lucky. On the other hand I have a 2002 Yukon XL which had the shaft lubed under warranty, but it did not hold up. Now it has 50K miles and my warranty is expired. I am going to try to purchase and replace myself.

budloar3
04-02-2005, 09:15
GOT IT FIXED A FEW WEEKS BACK. SEEMS TO HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM. THE DEALERS DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A SYSTEM IN PLACE FOR "FIRST REPORTED FIRST IN LINE. SO I JUST GOT LUCKY AND THEY HAD ONE ON THE SHELF. OTHER THAN THE WAITING TIME, THEY FIXED IT CORRECTLY. I WOULD BE ****ED IF I WAS WAITING FOR THE PART AND SOMEONE IN THE LINE AFTER ME WAS ABLE CUT IN LIKE I WAS ABLE TO.

David Proske
04-04-2005, 07:22
update.

I took the truck to Guzman GMC and they had a intermediate shaft in stock. Also adjusted the steering box for play.

Also fixed a couple of things the other shop couldn't fix.

SHOPMAN426
04-11-2005, 08:43
Was told today that they are not replacing the shaft anymore, only doing the lube job. I think I'm the one getting the lube job. I think it is time to find another service dealer.

Shopman426.
Mike. :mad: :mad: :mad:

David Proske
04-11-2005, 14:42
Yeah find another shop. The first one I took mine too argued up and down with me that GM told them to only lube the shaft as a new one is in development. The lube only lasted a couple weeks.

The next shop I took it to sayed they had several shafts in stock.

SHOPMAN426
04-12-2005, 06:52
Called up DSU Peterbuilt/GMC, talked with one of their service writers. I hadn't had my tail gate cables replaced so I went on down. They replaced the cables and did some checking around as far as the steering shaft goes. He said he would give GM a call and see what they would do for me since I have a early history documented on my steering clunking noise. Time will only tell.

Shopman426,
Mike. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fowlcall
04-13-2005, 06:17
I have that problem as well, at first they lubed it, then started again and they said they will replace it. It was on back order up to a month but it only took a week. Bringing it on friday. I was afraid it was my front end since I went to 285/75 tires, but thank god it wasnt.

Timberline
04-15-2005, 08:16
The dealers should know all about this.
I had mine re-packed about a year ago as that was the fix at the time, which did not last. I had heard before I took it in that this would not fix it. They replaced mine with no problem about 8 months later.
This particular problem is in all of the GM trucks including the Suburbans which I also had replaced last week in my 2004 Sub. Half ton to One ton they all seem to have the problem.
as long as GM stands behind the problem that is all I expect and that is what they have done.

jtjda03
04-20-2005, 19:13
David,

The cross member thing is about how it is bolted to the frame. The service guy at the dealer in the area we are in now finally explained it. The sleeves the bolts are in gradually wear a groove. When turning, to the right in my case, a rather loud pop can/could be heard. Sounded like a gremlin on the frame with a balpean hammer. This was caused b y the sleeve slipping in and out of tha groove. The cross member needs to be removed and the groove "removed" (pneumatic grinder was heard during this operation) to fix the noise. Went round and round with my original dealer before "retorquing the cross member" made it go away for a while. The noise is heard usally in parking lots when the steering wheel was not moving. We'll see how long this fix lasts. Tech told me this was the first HD he had seen this on. BTW, they also replaced the intermediate steering shaft while I was there.