PDA

View Full Version : Allison question for BigAl

permx11
11-20-2002, 16:01
BigAl,

I saw on a another thread where you were able to look up the problem with a certain Allison transmission via the VIN. I bought a new 2003 GMC d/a and the tranny was bad from the first push of the gas pedal at 17 miles. They replaced it with a so called new transmission but its actually a "ReTran Transmission, rebuilt for Allison". The original transmission would slip from first to second and third to fourth. Locked in first gear a couple times, threw check engine lights, had no reverse once. The replacement trans is much louder and noisier. Kind of sucks to have a new tran with a rebuilt tranny. This truck should have never left the factory with this bad tranny. The dealers inspection on delivery to them found the tranny was bad and didnt notify the sales dept and they sold it to me. Wish I would have test drove this truck before I bought it.

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

permx11
11-20-2002, 16:03
Would help if I gave the VIN 1GTHK23153F137417

ChevysRus
11-21-2002, 01:15
It was reported a while back that all the Allison replacement Trannys are brand new, just marked as remanufactured for control/accounting purposes. You should have a brand new tranny even if it is painted different and has a different tag. Same situation if the dealer had replaced it before selling it to you, just you would not have known the difference.

You got off to a bad start, but at least it failed while under warranty!!!

permx11
11-21-2002, 11:36
ChevyRus

I hope you are right about it being a new trans but a different tag. The way I read the tag, and I would have to do it again, made it sound like it was rebuilt by someone for Allison.

Buckman
12-02-2002, 09:55
permx11: ChevysRus is correct regarding the replacement transmission for your MY03 truck. The trans is a new unit that has been re-labeled. In regards to the removed transmission; I'll talk to my "mole" and attempt to find out what was broken. I haven't been on the page a lot recently due to computer problems and other committments. redface.gif

permx11
12-02-2002, 16:07
Thanks buckman for any info you might come up with.

mrwolf
12-19-2002, 11:09
Haven't seen Big Al on the forum lately but maybee I can help. Your transmission serial number is 6320174051 (located on the passenger side of the transmission) This is the unit that was originally built into the truck. If the number is different obviously the transmission has been replaced. According to the dealership record on your truck they replaced only the A and B solenoids in the valvebody not the whole transmission. Transmissions that malfunction in the assembly plant are not allowed to be shipped. This doesn't mean a few bad actors get out.

Mic
12-19-2002, 16:05
mrwolf,

been awhile since I've seen you around.

You appear to have a knowledge base on the Allison.

Welcome aboard.

What part of MI you from?

permx11
12-20-2002, 13:04
I will have to go check out the serial number, but it has that retrans tag, which I would doubt came from the factory originally.

permx11
01-22-2003, 15:54
The serial number on the current replacement trans is 9616010218

BigAl
01-23-2003, 08:32
Your tranny has, indeed, been replaced! However, it is a new transmission. The process goes like this..............every new model year, new transmissions are shipped to Allison's remanufacturer to "seed" their remanufacturing program. The remanufacturer reidentifies these units, and puts them in returnable containers, and waits for orders to arrive...........that's all! During the current model year (July 2002 to June 2003 for MY2003 trucks) any tranny replaced gets one of these new-but-reidentified trannys.

At the beginning of the next model year, replacement trannys for the previous model years can be either new or remanufactured, depending upon supply.

permx11
01-23-2003, 13:16
Thanks BigAl

Buckman
02-20-2003, 07:06
permx11:

Didn't forget about your original transmission. My contacts have finally located the unit. Hopefully, I might be able to obtain teardown information shortly. I'll let you know what they find ASAP. smile.gif

permx11
03-04-2003, 13:59
Thanks Buckman.

Buckman
03-24-2003, 10:01
permx11

Finally !!! I got some information regarding the original transmission removed from your truck. I have been informed that the unit was ran on a test stand prior to being torn down and passed with flying colors. When the trans was torn down, all parts where present and properly installed. There were no signs of damage or undo wear. The only guess would be that at some time a valve was hung up and during the removal and/or shipping dislodged. The diagnostic code reported by the dealer indicated a problem with a trim solenoid which happens to have a valve behind it in the bore. If the valve was hung up when the dealer performed the clutch test, it would indicate a slipping clutch and be reported as failing the clutch test.
Knowing this, it would appear that the dealer might have been able to repair the unit by replacing the valve body. Hard telling, but just might have done the trick.
My mole really outdid himself this time !! I'll bet this is going to cost me more than one brown pop! Oh well, a man has to believe in something, so I believe I'll have another! :D :D

Have a nice day!!! smile.gif

hoot
03-24-2003, 10:22
It's amazing how the meat and potatoes of this tranny rarely has problems, at least not ones being posted.

Thanks Buckman for providing the inside line on some of the goings on behind the scenes.

permx11
03-24-2003, 15:27
Thanks buckman.

dmaxalliTech
03-25-2003, 19:56
I have had my hand on every stinkin piece in these units and I must say, they are heads above the beef of even a 4l80. The shear size of the clutches is unreal. The c5 piston holds nearly a quart of oil alone! I am suprised that someone has not turned one of these into a six speed yet, though I suppose you would have some busy shifting going on in there. Correct me if I am wrong BigAl, but turning on c2 and c4 could be a fourth gear?

dmaxalliTech
03-25-2003, 19:58
opps, I mean a sixth gear

BigAl
03-26-2003, 07:46
dmaxalliTech,

As I've said in several posts before, the 1000 Series is designed utilizing the same gearing scheme as their "big brothers" (MDs and HDs).............and they are all capable of six forward speeds, with the top two both being overdrives.

Patience, my sons.................the "6th" Cavalry is coming.

MABurns
03-26-2003, 08:11
I was in the 12th Cavalry so I won't hold out for them......... will the "6th" Cavalry be able to be retrofitted on older models.

RATDOC
03-26-2003, 10:02
Hey Al,
what's your prediction as far as performance mods for the Allison??? What do you recommend now or what's comming out in the near future to get these trannys to hold up to the Duramax's power after mods are added???
:confused:
Tom

BigAl
03-27-2003, 11:07
RATDOC,

Who says it isn't "holding up" now?!?!?!? :D

MABurns,

My guess is it will indeed be retrofittable, with some effort. Don't look for GM to come out with a retrofit kit, though. Since the "old" vehicles were certified with the Feds as 5-speeds; a "sponsored" retrofit kit is tantamount to encouraging/facilitating the de-certification of previous Model Year vehicles. Ain't gonna happen!

What I WOULD look for is a Production upgrade to the Duramax/Allison combo to Out-do the F___ Powersmoke. This Towing/HP thing is a Marketing "game", with one always wanting to have the "biggest/fastest/toughest" offering. Also, look for DCX to do something trany-wise so that they can enjoin the battle with the Cummins. My guess.................look for some sort of Mercedes tranny. Gotta keep it all in the family, don't-ya-know!!! :rolleyes:

RATDOC
03-27-2003, 11:46
Al,
any thoughts/guesses/surprises for us with reguard to the Allison holding up to a bombed Dmax???
Tom :confused:

BigAl
03-28-2003, 09:56
RATDOC,

Things that come to mind are the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) and the attaching bolts between the engine and the Torque Converter (H___, those bolts have come loose with REGULAR torque, letalone juicin' a few more ft. lbs. through the joint!) :rolleyes:

Shift Quality will probably suffer as the tranny "brain" gets schizophrenic between juiced and non-juiced behavior. To alleviate this (notice I did NOT say eliminate), leave the power on all the time and let the thing get "used" to it and adapt the shifting accordingly. :cool:

Other than that, I would not expect any catastrophic stuff..................then again, you didn't say how big of a "bomb"!!! :eek: ;)

RATDOC
03-28-2003, 11:11
Al:
thanks for the reply........I was talking about bombing the Dmax a little more than the "norm".
Hot juice is rated for 125 H/P, which seems to be the limit with these trannys, HOWEVER there's a bunch of products out there(both electronic and other)that push the envelope even further. Things like the V/A box and the one from Quad are rated at well OVER 200 H/P, BUT don't seem to be usable due to the tranny going into limp mode with them.
Do ya think that there'll be a reliable "fix" for this problem in the near future that will allow those interested to put more power down???
Thanks Again!!!
Tom

BigAl
03-28-2003, 14:00
RATDOC,

Not a "fix" in the strictest sense of the word. Tranny goes into "limp" mode cause the clutches start slipping and the computer logic tells it to protect itself to avoid a catastrophic clutch failure. You've found that magical point where the input torque exceeds the real (vs. theoretical) rating. Try to stay under it!!! :eek:

I WOULD fully expect somewhat of a "fix" when GM decides to "surge ahead" in the HP game with F___. Thay ain't gonna let that Powersmoke out-HP them for long. At that point, you can figure the roughly +125HP over the new rating as the point at which the tranny would go into "limp" again and protect itself.

Make sense??? ;)

Mark Bajus
03-28-2003, 14:46
I notice ATS now has their stage 2 fix along with the stage 1 they have had for a while...anyone yet broke the bank to try them both out on a hot (as mentioned above 125HP power increase) Dmax? Any comments from the experts on HOW ATS is "fixing" the issue of clutch slippage?

RATDOC
03-28-2003, 15:23
AL-
Makes perfect sense.......I was gonna ask you about the higher factory rating that's on the way too........Thanks!!! :D
Tom