PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing noise in steering wheel

Raptorrider2001
07-22-2002, 22:25
My '02 has a rubbing noise in the steering wheel every once in a while. I can't duplicate it for the shop guys but it is there never the less. Sounds like it is located where the steering wheel is attached. Sounds like maybe warped plastic rubbing every once in a while. Any ideas?

mhbreed
07-23-2002, 06:51
I have the same problem with no help from the dealer. It happens only when turning left and most often when it is hot out. I'm looking of help also.

Paintdude
07-23-2002, 06:56
There is a service bulliten on this problem..check the site and you should find it..It did and printed it out...I will post the link if I can find it again..

Rebel_Horseman
07-23-2002, 16:19
I had the same problem with my truck. I told my dealer and he jimmied with it a bit and sent me on ym way. Don't know what he did but it's fixed. I don't think he replaced the plastic shroud over the column. I guess he was trying to make me feel better about my truck since the transmission had just fried twice (once at 10,000 and once at 12,000) and I had a case of the screaming red arse. That's what I get for settling for a half ton.

Reb [><]

ram/tx
07-28-2002, 18:44
Has anyone found the fix for the rubbing of the steering wheel noise. Mine does it, but only once in a while when I turn to the left. If I take it to the dealer he is going to think I an crazy, because it doesn't do it all the time. Is there a site where I can go to read all of the TSB put out on my truck? :confused: :confused:

BARRY H
01-22-2005, 06:44
Originally posted by Paintdude:
There is a service bulliten on this problem..check the site and you should find it..It did and printed it out...I will post the link if I can find it again.. HAY PAINTDUDE,
I HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH MY 03 AND THE TRUCK WONT DO IT FOR MY DEALER CAN YOU HELP ME!!!! THANKS.
BARRY H

jbplock
01-22-2005, 15:27
My 03 would make a "swishing" sound during full/slow turns in the driveway or parking lot. I mentioned it to the dealer when I took the truck in to have the intermediate steering shaft replaced and they said it was the firewall boot rubbing on the shaft. They lubed the boot and I haven't noticed it since. (My 98 K3500 did same thing.)

Also see the following topic ...

Noisy when turning steering wheel (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=006046)

smile.gif

madmatt
01-22-2005, 17:54
if you suspect the intermediate shaft, i reccomend removing the shaft completely and grease the exterior of the shaft. It's real easy to do, just a 15mm bolt under the hood and a 15mm nut under the dash, BUT be REALLY CAREFULL while you have the shaft out not to turn the steering wheel or you will damage the SIR coil!!!! The shaft comes out real easy but sometimes requires a little help guiding it back throught the boot. Also the models w/ adj pedals require a little more patience and you have to hold your tounge just right to get the shaft past the pedal ass.

pscott
01-24-2005, 11:25
I have a 2004.5 that has about 12k miles. I have heard almost a rubbing noise when i turn at very low speeds. I have only heard it once or twice... is this something i could have the dealer look at??

madmatt
01-25-2005, 18:25
it's always better if you can duplicate it for the dealer.